YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ADHD in children
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

bluefin
Posted 2005-09-27 6:25 AM (#33040)
Subject: ADHD in children

A few of the symptoms of AD/HD are:

* Doesn't pay close attention to details
* Doesn't seem to listen when spoken to directly
* Is easily distracted
* Has difficulty organizing and finishing tasks
* Fidgets with hands and feet; has difficulty remaining seated
* Runs about or climbs excessively when inappropriate (seems "motor-driven")
* Talks continually
* Interrupts conversations and intrudes upon other kids' games
* Avoids tasks that require sustained mental effort (e.g. schoolwork, homework, games)
* Does things that are dangerous without thinking about possible outcomes

Depending on your child's needs, more than one of the following may be appropriate and/or necessary to help your child succeed.

* Medication Strattera Dosage
* Behavior management strategies at home and at school
* Classroom accommodations
* Family and child counseling
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-09-27 10:12 AM (#33051 - in reply to #33040)
Subject: RE: ADHD in children

In my opinion, following are of prime importance, for those with ADHD, those without ADHD and do not wish to get it.

1. Happy atmosphere.

2. Low stress environments. Many of my students currently tell me that they have to complete many tasks by certain and impossible date. But, they do not know why the task has to be completed by such a date. Also, while knowing it is impossible, they are trying to complete it. That is called Stupidity. Would you climb 10000 ft with a dead line of 3 hours, if you already know that is impossible. I know they are doing it with a fear of loosing job. Yes, they are not loosing jobs, but they are loosing Attention, and moving towards ADHD.

3. Removal of junk food which amounts to drugging.

4. Any other drugging or medication should be avoided at all possible cost, except may be in violent cases which are harmful to others. This is for ADHD and NON ADHD persons.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-02 10:39 PM (#33551 - in reply to #33040)

Also, I noticed this, please see this:

http://www.garynull.com/Article.aspx?article=Issues/Index.aspx&Head=Issues

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Cyndi
Posted 2005-10-02 11:40 PM (#33554 - in reply to #33551)

Expert Yogi

Neelbhai,

I can sit here all day long and tell you horror stories of my life in hell with my son who was *supposedly* diagnosed with ADHD. To make a long story short though, Gary's story is almost similar to mine...as Stephen was on Ritalin and Prozac for many years. At that time I had no choice because of the people I had to deal with at school and his Natural Father and Grandmother who refused to let me parent my child the way I saw fit. Needless to say, after Stephen became a certain age we told everyone to take a hike and we did alternative therapies and environmental adjustments inlvolving moving him to a smaller town and a Christian based school that met his needs. He is now drug free and has been since the age of 13 (he'll be 21 next year). This is the *main* reason that I homeschool my daughter..so I don't have to put up with this mentality any longer. It has made a world of difference for my life as a parent...not to mention how I am the one who makes all the decisions and that in itself is a very powerful antidote for ADHD,

Just for the record, my son is now in his second year of college, with a 3.5 GPA. Talk about a child who has come a long way with so many obstacles in his path. I am a very proud Mother and hopefully one day, Stephen will make a fine Attorney when he finishes law school.

Edited by Cyndi 2005-10-02 11:43 PM

Posted 2005-10-03 12:12 PM (#33576 - in reply to #33040)

The Family Hope Center does a great deal with ADHD--amazing stuff:

http://www.familyhopecenter.org

Edited by zoebird 2005-10-03 12:13 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-03 11:35 PM (#33625 - in reply to #33040)

I am proud of Cyndiben and my nephew. Call me for the graduation party and I shall try my best to be there.

Keep it up.

neel kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Miabella704
Posted 2005-10-05 4:24 PM (#33764 - in reply to #33040)

" Any other drugging or medication should be avoided at all possible cost, except may be in violent cases which are harmful to others. This is for ADHD and NON ADHD persons."

AMEN!!! I know people who have used biofeedback and omega three fatty acid supplements, particularly flaxseed oil, and have learned to actually parent their children in lieu of using meds. I'm one of them. After my oldest son had problems with Ritalin and Cylert I tried other means to help him focus better.
Of course, teachers and doctors and pharm. companies are going to tell you to drug your kids. Doesn't mean you have to listen. Their view is often very two dimensional.

Edited by Miabella704 2005-10-05 4:25 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-11 10:47 AM (#34138 - in reply to #33040)

I am grateful to those who cited their own experiences in this matter. Would those who have such an experience, please cite it. This is extremely beneficial to our society.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
Jesskw
Posted 2005-11-02 6:45 PM (#35772 - in reply to #33040)

Hey Ya'll! I am new to the boards soo I am sure you will all be questioned from me.

I was diagnosed with ADHD after my freshman year of college.. I was always a "perfect" child growing up.. However my grades would be straight As one semester and Fs the next. The school and my parents assumed that I didn't care at times and cared at others. It wasn't until I reached college and would get As on papers, and then fail tests that my professors noticed it must be more then being lazy. I started getting tested for learning disabilities and such but they could never find anything. The learning disabilities counselor who was testing thought I should get "further" testing done for something like ADD or ADHD. I had a neuropsychological evaluation done (Oh it was 8 hours of fun hahah) and it became clear I was WAY ADHD, but I was the type that would fidgit, look away, draw squiggles, etc.. They started me on "Academic Coaching," as well as started playing with my meds. I instantly went from having a 1.2 GPA my freshman year.. my sophmore year (retaking alot of classes from my freshman year) I had an average 2.4GPA, and last year I had a 3.2GPA.. So, I can't rule out drugs completely from my experience with the ones I have been on, but I do think they are WAY over prescribed. I do not think a family physician should be able to put a bad child on it, as there may be other motives.

It is so over prescribed, that it is a little frightening. I wish before such harsh drugs could be prescribed that they would do extensive testing.

I also didn't learn to read until 2nd grade as a side note.. My parents read to me as a kid and I LOVED it, I had two older siblings who had no trouble reading when they were little but I could not pick it up. Everyone just assumed that I wasn't good in academic areas, but excelled in athletics and problem soliving.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-11-03 10:47 AM (#35817 - in reply to #35772)

Expert Yogi

Hi Jess,

I read your post with great interest. Your experience sounds very familiar with my son's experience as well. One thing I would like to comment about is this "Academic Coaching" that you mentioned. I am somewhat familiar with this, however, my feeling about this is that, the school systems should be "Academically Coaching" ALL their students!!!! Imagine, if that were true how intelligent a child could become and all children could have a sense of well being IF this was being done with every child. This is the very reason I homeschool my daughter now and have been for over 4 years. We basically pulled ourselves out of the "system" and our lives have been so much better for it. We actually have a life now. Good luck to you with all your endeavors and may you have great success in college. Take care,

Cyndi

P.S. Jess, I forgot to mention, I DO NOT believe in such a thing called ADHD...it does not exists, it is only a label for teachers and administrators to cover their A$$'s for NOT doing their jobs!! It's not your fault and you are not defiencient...they are!! Remember that always.

Edited by Cyndi 2005-11-03 10:49 AM
jasonmarke
Posted 2006-02-22 1:06 PM (#44495 - in reply to #33040)

Hello-from Israel- a movie on natural techniques helping adhd and test anxiety

Dear Parent , educator, student, therapist- thank you for your attention- I would like to mention that a new video/kit from Israel on natural solutions to help ADHD
"Being in Control: Natural Solutions for ADHD, Dyslexia, and Test
Anxiety" ( Video/book/biofeedback kit) by Jason Alster MSc ISBN 9659025130.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9659025130/
and
"BEING IN CONTROL- Natural Techniques For Increasing Your Potential And Creativity For Success In School" ( book as single item)
(ISBN-9659025114)" ( different ISBN)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9659025114/

About Jason Alster
http://www.geocities.com/jasonalster
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ADHD-Dyslexia-Israel/

Do you, your child, or client want to be a better student? Is it hard for you to sit quietly in class and concentrate? Do you have a problem preparing homework? Do you want to pass exams with less pressure? Then this movie/book /kit may be for just for you. Taking the concepts, techniques, and exercises from the original book "BEING IN CONTROL- Natural Techniques For Increasing Your Potential And Creativity For Success In School"
(ISBN-9659025114)" ( different ISBN) and making them come alive with a 40 minute video rendition. The book/ video/ kit portrays in a "roadmap" format topics for improving relaxed concentration for the classroom and when preparing homework -like increasing self confidence; relaxed concentration; seated yoga; creativity; time management; organisation of material; sensory integration; using our senses to relax; biofeedback; games; better cursive handwriting; speed reading; test taking strategies and more. In addition to the CD ROM and book- the kit also includes 2 finger size temperature strips biofeedback monitors used by many biofeedback practitioners for measuring relaxation- stress levels. Produced and edited with Windows Movie Maker 2 and can be played on Windows Media Player.

Also by Jason Alster- Creative Painting For The Young Artist
a book for helping children learn to develop an artistic eye.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9659025122/
( I am also seeking reviewers as well as distributors in association with Amazon.com)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)