YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Other styles of Kundalini?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kundalini YogaMessage format

funfunfun
Posted 2005-10-03 3:23 AM (#33557)
Subject: Other styles of Kundalini?

Are there other factions of kundalini yoga out there? It concerns me that Yogi Bhajan is the only one. It seems kind of bizarre that it was a secret until he generously and against death threats - revealed it to the world. It's bizarre because Jung obviously wrote about it before 1969. Therefore it wasn't entirely secret. Also, I find it hard to believe his life was in that great of danger. I mean, aren't the people who would have been adept at Kundalini in India also highly spiritually aware? Folks who are spiritually aware usually incorporate non-violence into their spiritual diet.

I admit that I am skeptical of Yogi Bhajan's take on Kundalini. Another obstacle I can't get past yet - is the fact that he died of heart disease at age 75, and that he had been sick throughout a lot of his life. Wouldn't the power of this yoga have extended his life or prevented his illness from manifesting in the first place?

Just curious about all this stuff, because the IDEA of kundalini (ie. blood purification, increased mental clarity/intuition, physical health) sounds great. I just don't want to start doing something that is not the reality of that idea.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
radiantstar
Posted 2005-10-03 9:43 AM (#33561 - in reply to #33557)
Subject: RE: Other styles of Kundalini?

You actually have to experience K-Yoga to see if it's for you or not. There are numerous books available and/classes with a certified teacher will tell you if this form of yoga is for you. I've been practicing for one year and a half with class once a week and home practice.

It's good to question new avenues, and research the background while exploring. Many students go blindly full speed to gain "instant" enlightenment, spirituality or raise their kundalini energy....and as anyone can attest in any form of yoga, patience is the key.

Last year when Yogi Bhajan passed, I was surprized at how young he was, but life begins and ends and I simply accepted that.

So, what do you want to learn from this form of yoga? For me, it is beneficial for mind/body/spirit, it's can be challenging, gentle and fun. Give it a try, I'd say at least 2 or 3 classes, before you make a final decision, but do try it.

Blessing and Light

Edited by radiantstar 2005-10-03 9:44 AM
tourist
Posted 2005-10-03 10:23 AM (#33566 - in reply to #33561)

Expert Yogi

I think there are many paths of kundalini and different gurus teach it different ways. For example, Swami Sivananda Radha wrote "Kundalini Yoga for the West" but her main path was jnana yoga. Her students do hatha, pranayama and a TON of self-study. Big focus on symbolism (hidden language of asana is one area where they look at the symbols in the poses and the symbols they represent to each student) etc. Not so much with the instant enlightenment but lots of inner work. Others do all kinds of wild pranayama and not so much introspection.

If you want to live a long life, look to the hatha teachers. BKS is pushing 87, Jois is 90 and their teacher Krishnamacharya was 102 or so. Indra Devi - also long lived.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-03 11:28 AM (#33570 - in reply to #33557)

funfunfun:
Your question is not funny at all, but very relevant one. This is my response:

- The fact is that there is nothing secret about Kundalini, it is mentioned in books written thousands of years ago and also it is mentioned in thousands of books. You can take many simple prayers in India, such as what is called Stotram (a prayer of praise to a particular deity).

- Next, possibly what was secret was exact method related to Kundalini arising, as it should not be taught to one who is not prepared. Knowledge itself is never secret. Otherwise, telling it to be secret will be ridiculous. What is secret is: a) to give to only one who can understand. What is the point in teaching Relativity Theory to a Grade I student. b) to give to only one who can use it usefully. What is the point in giving Nuclear Bomb to one who will drop it non judiciously. ETC.

- There are NOT many facets of Kundalini Yoga. Kundalini Yoga is a style of teaching in the current market, just like my own style is called Authentic Yoga. I called it Authentic Yoga because I did not want to name it after a)myself b) my teacher c) my Deity (my school, however is named after my deity Shirdi Saeebaba who was a saint who passed away in 1918. My school is called SaeeTech.) d) I teach what I believe to be authentic in the context of experience and classical yoga texts. I am not sure what Kundalini Yoga Style is named that way. That is my own ignorance. Same with the style called Ashtanga Yoga. One has to know why the name is given, accepting their own reason for their name. Now, there are many places Kundalini is mentioned (NOT Kundalini Yoga style or styles).

- There is NO question that Kundalini is true, it is experienced by many, it is taught by many, and is mentioned at thousands of places. The problem is a) to find a teacher who really can teach you want you want b)whether you are ready to learn the subject and have time for the subject as demanded by the teacher. ETC. If you satisfy all these there is NO danger. Learning this topic only from books, etc may not give you complete satisfaction.

I wish you all the best.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
funfunfun
Posted 2005-10-03 2:28 PM (#33585 - in reply to #33557)

Hello.

Thanks for your feedback. Again, I want to make clear something I said - I do not doubt that Kundalini rising exists, instead I stated I was skeptical of Yogi Bhajan's take on Kundalini. His backstory seemed like such a marketing ploy: "I have a secret yoga, and I am bringing it to you admist death threats to my life." That sounds like a synopsis for a movie.

Having said that, I still can't claim to know anything more than my impressions about the exterior of this style that is taught in the US. I have not experienced it from the inside, and I wish to learn more about it or other styles that might suit me. I had no idea, though it makes perfect sense, that some names of styles in the US are specific only to the US.

And to clarify my personal goals, I want to enhance my mental clarity, intuition, and creativity. Those are my goals. I personally, do not need to raise my kundalini - it's just that the other types of yoga in the US seem to completely focus on the body - and when I read that kundalini develops the pituitary gland and therefore intuition - this is what interested me. Is there any information regarding a yoga that might suit me?

Edited by funfunfun 2005-10-03 2:29 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-03 3:11 PM (#33590 - in reply to #33557)

funfunfun:
AFter all you are real fun, I mean to answer. I like your candidity (candidness). As for your goal,

a) If your bodily health is not good, you might consider Hathayoga. If you feel you do not need it, that is perfectly fine.

b) For mental clarity, you need to do some kind of mental practice. This can start with Hathayoga and end in Meditation.

c) You need an instruction directly from an experienced teacher, who can understand your background and then guide you through what you should be doing as practice. There is NO particular marketed style which in general will improve your mental clarity.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
funfunfun
Posted 2005-10-03 8:37 PM (#33612 - in reply to #33557)

I see - these are good points - thank you for the advice.

I have heard that some techniques of pranayama can enhance mental clarity and energy.

What is your opinion of exercise videos such as this one, that proclaim to be focused on mental clarity? -->

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001610SE/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/103-3874614-1813425?v=glance&s=dvd&st=*
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-03 11:19 PM (#33623 - in reply to #33557)

All techniques of real pranayama will help mental clarity. However, doing pranayama itself requires mental clarity to some extent. So, if one has enough of that one can enhance it with pranayama. If one does not have enough needed to start pranayama, one shall not be able to do any pranayama and shall not get benefit from it.

Giving another example, one wants to start learning to run at high speed to achieve some benefit which comes from high speed running. So, one must be able to run slowly first and then at moderate speed. If one starts learning high speed without prequalification, one shall only break the legs.

About the video you mentioned, I have NO opinion. That is the opinion.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
funfunfun
Posted 2005-10-04 1:38 PM (#33645 - in reply to #33557)

Anyone else have an opinion of that video? This forum is open to all...

Edited by funfunfun 2005-10-04 1:38 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2005-10-04 4:04 PM (#33660 - in reply to #33645)

Expert Yogi

Hi Fun,

Why do you want opinions from this forum?? It would make the conversation so much more interesting if you would go do some Pranayama and come back and report what you discovered.
funfunfun
Posted 2005-10-04 5:24 PM (#33671 - in reply to #33557)

I always do research. Part of that is actual experimentation, and part of that is discovering experts' opinions first.

It's good to question new avenues, and research the background while exploring. Many students go blindly full speed to gain "instant" enlightenment, spirituality or raise their kundalini energy....and as anyone can attest in any form of yoga, patience is the key.

Edited by funfunfun 2005-10-04 5:25 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-04 10:57 PM (#33697 - in reply to #33557)

OK Dear Fun:
What is your opinion of this Video? And, then next question will be: How did you form this video from practice or thinking?

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
tourist
Posted 2005-10-05 12:51 AM (#33702 - in reply to #33697)

Expert Yogi

fun - I would never recommend learning pranayama of any style without a teacher. The Iyengar perspective (regulars, please forgive me always prefacing with this, but I think it important for newcomers to know our backgrounds) is that the body and most importantly the nervous system must be carefully prepared through solid asana practice before learning pranayama. Something to consider.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-05 8:58 AM (#33714 - in reply to #33557)

Dear tourist:
I think you should not ask for forgiveness, when you prefix your style or teacher name when you write your comments. Actually, that makes it more trustworty. Go for it, that is my suggestion. Now, in my practice I do not use names unless I feel like, but I feel you should use them when you feel like. Some people think that it is a matter of social courtesy not to use names as you do. There was a group of people who did not like my using my website name each time I post a bulletin. However, it is same for me, that they are posting their bulletin name or just a name while posting. That is their identity while they post. They should look at my post and not my writing website, if they want to see my website they are free to do so.

I think your prefixing your teacher or style name is respectable.

Peace
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
tourist
Posted 2005-10-05 10:28 AM (#33722 - in reply to #33714)

Expert Yogi

Thanks Neel. It is important to honour our teachers. I do not apologize for that Like you, I don't want anyone to feel I am advertising or pushing the tradition I practice, only letting them know that this is the source of any small knowledge I may have.
star792
Posted 2005-10-14 3:53 PM (#34386 - in reply to #33557)

about how it began with yogi bhajan ...http://www.kundaliniyoga.org/shakti.html
i found this site he runs and saw this and thought of this post i had read earlier. nothing near death had to teach it, so i thought it was worth a look.
erica
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)