YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poll Yoga and mbt shoes
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Massage -> General MassageMessage format

YogaChicago
Posted 2005-10-05 1:03 PM (#33737)
Subject: Yoga and mbt shoes

Hi all,

I am a newby to this forum and I was wondering if anybody can give me some information or feed back regarding the COMBINATION of wearing the mbt shoes and doing yoga as a COMPLETE change of posture faster than just placticing yoga by itself.

Has anyone heard anything? any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sofia

Edited by YogaChicago 2005-10-05 1:18 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-10-05 1:07 PM (#33738 - in reply to #33737)
Subject: RE: Yoga and mbt shoes

Are you talking about doing yoga while wearing the mbt shoes? Just in case, better to do the yoga barefoot and wear the mbt's around town.

Complete change of life? That comes from inside!

Complete improvement in your posture, perhaps.
YogaChicago
Posted 2005-10-05 1:11 PM (#33740 - in reply to #33738)

I apologize in my lack of wording... yes, I meant improve posture faster than not wearing the shoes after your classes. and yes, I meant not during classes, afterwards. I agree with your statement: Complete change of life? That comes from inside!
yoga1120
Posted 2005-10-05 1:16 PM (#33741 - in reply to #33737)

Excuse the ignorance, but what are mbt shoes? I have plactice yoga for years and I never heard of that expression..mbt!

Edited by yoga1120 2005-10-05 1:17 PM
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-10-05 1:25 PM (#33743 - in reply to #33737)

I think it stands for Masai Barefoot Technology. It's a new kind of shoe that is built to work your feet as if you are walking on unstable ground (like a forest trail, not an earthquake ). Google it - very interesting concept. Supposedly it helps to strengthen and tone every last tiny muscle in the legs, and make your posture and alignment just lovely. I want to try some so bad, but they cost a fortune!

Unless you're used to buying Prada or Jimmy Choo, in which case these are a bargain. I am just graduating to buying real athletic shoes instead of $3 canvas sneakers from Kmart!

Earth shoes are also an interesting concept, based on negative heel technology that is supposed to correct your posture, stretch the backs of your legs and fix back pain. Haven't tried those either. Earth shoes and MBT hikers are on my wish list, so if Santa comes through I'll give you a full rundown in January!
YogaGuy
Posted 2005-10-05 2:35 PM (#33747 - in reply to #33737)

I have one friend that swears by Earth Shoes and another friend that swears by MBT Shoes. They both practice yoga and I haven't noticed any change in their posture. They both looked fine before wearing the shoes...and they both look fine now. But they swear by them.

I'm happy if my shoes fit and don't have holes in them.

Personally, I don't think that shoes will help if you don't know how to stand and walk to begin with. Spend some quality time learning to stand in tadasana and studying how your feet work. Give me the money and I'll give you some yoga privates.
tinyone
Posted 2005-10-05 2:36 PM (#33748 - in reply to #33737)

How weird...I was just wondering if anyone on this board had tried mbt shoes. I have been waiting for the right (financial) moment to try them. I had an instructor that started using them right before she moved to another studio so I never heard how they worked out for her. Being a spinal injury survivor, I am always on the look out for ways to help my posture and ease my chronic back pain. Let me know if you decide to try them. I will post if I do.
laurajhawk
Posted 2005-10-05 6:05 PM (#33770 - in reply to #33737)

I haven't tried MBT shoes, but I am wearing Earth shoes most of the time now ... I am hoping this will help my shin splints since nothing else does Anyway I really like the Earth shoes. They are neither as extreme nor as expensive as MBTs ... I bought 2 pairs of earth shoes at different clearance sales for $30/pair, then bought a pair of earth sneakers from zappos.com for $95 (after I decided I liked the other earth shoes).

They feel more like being barefoot, so in that sense I think they're good for my posture. I haven't thought of them as being related to yoga ... but it does feel easier to root through all "corners" of the feet (as in Tadasana) with these shoes than with normal (heel higher than toe) shoes.
tourist
Posted 2005-10-05 7:39 PM (#33783 - in reply to #33770)

Expert Yogi

Barefoot or Birks - that's my choice. Although Mr. Tourist is rather fond seeing me in some strappy black heels from time to time
YogaChicago
Posted 2005-10-06 10:22 AM (#33817 - in reply to #33737)

Well, I did my research online about the mbt shoes and I must say that I am extremely impressed with the technology involved in a pair of shoes. All testimonials and comments about them are great. I guess I have to try them to see for myself.

Posted 2005-10-07 11:05 PM (#33937 - in reply to #33783)

You go Tourist-you nasty girl in your strappy shoes . I have some earth shoes that I wear at work and I like them. The have some style and comfort to boot! I would love to try a pair of MBT's, but the price is a bit steep,

Like jeansyoga...maybe Santa would spring some on me around the holidays if I am a good yogi and practice regularly. Go figure.
YogaChicago
Posted 2005-10-08 11:16 AM (#33951 - in reply to #33737)

I GOT them!!!! Well, so after some reading and watching some of the videos at the mbt website, I went ahead and spent all my savings in this pair of shoes. I must admit it, there is something especial about them.

I am a 56 years old woman and as incredible as it may sounds, with only a few hours of wearing the shoes, my posture changed. Simply as that.

The feeling of walking on this shoes is something I can't explain, I heard something like walking on clouds, or barefoot walking but in my opinion the feeling is totally different.

I highly recommend them, so to all you girls waiting for santa claus... break the piggy bank and run to the store to buy them. If you can believe it, I got up early this morning just to go walk with my new shoes around the neighboorhood... it is good to feel like a child at 56...
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-10-08 2:00 PM (#33963 - in reply to #33737)

I'm excited to hear that . . . my husband just got a big raise, but also did something that upset me very much. So I have a lot of guilt dollars at my disposal right now!

Keep us posted over the next few weeks and let us know if you still super-love them!
yoga1120
Posted 2005-10-09 6:42 PM (#34022 - in reply to #33743)

jeansyoga - 2005-10-05 1:25 PM

I think it stands for Masai Barefoot Technology. It's a new kind of shoe that is built to work your feet as if you are walking on unstable ground (like a forest trail, not an earthquake ). Google it - very interesting concept.!

Hello jeansyoga, you are right, it is a very interesting concept. I went to the web site and it explains in detail all the benefits of wearing these shoes. Although, I will have to join the club and either wait for me to win the lotto or just believe that they are wonderful shoes since I think the price is very high for a pair of sneakers. Maybe some day I will be able to afford them.

To yogachicago, can you tell me out of curiosity where you got your yours... assuming that you are in Chicago?
tqdriver
Posted 2005-10-10 9:46 AM (#34042 - in reply to #33737)

Hello:

Just my two cents:

I bought a pair of mbt shoes a couple months ago from The Walker's Warehouse after reading an article in The New York Times. I like the shoes very much and have noticed a big improvement in my posture. They are kinda weird, but you get used to them. You can't really run in them, but they are good for walking.
tourist
Posted 2005-10-10 12:06 PM (#34054 - in reply to #34042)

Expert Yogi

Thanks John - I would like to hear more from people who have had these shoes for a longer period of time. Lots of things feel good right away but the problems creep in over time. I have no doubt that some people will hurt themselves in these shoes because of over use etc. There certainly were many people with achilles inflammation in the 70's when Earth shoes first appeared. They are also pretty high so someone will sprain an ankle, for sure I am wondering what the effect will be as the outer sole wears down and the angles are not so exact. Still, the allure of instantly better posture is certainly there!
YogaChicago
Posted 2005-10-27 12:47 PM (#35234 - in reply to #34022)

yoga1120 - 2005-10-09 6:42 PM

jeansyoga - 2005-10-05 1:25 PM
To yogachicago, can you tell me out of curiosity where you got your yours... assuming that you are in Chicago?

Hello All,

I AM SO HAPPY! I must said that it has been a great investment... there is something up! The shoes are confortable, my feet don't hurt any more but overall my posture has improved quite significantly. I really recommend them.

As to your question YOGA1120, I got my mbt's at a place named Ruby Room, they are on Division st. It is a spa/boutique. Since I live in the suburbs I ordered mine online, their website is www.rubyroom.com. I hope the information helps.

All my best from my shoes and me.

Sofia
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-11-08 7:18 PM (#36114 - in reply to #33737)

Wow! These shoes looks sooo cool! All the cool stuff is always expensive - really expensive. I thought I was being indulgent spending $80.00 on running shoes. I can't imagine spending $385.00 on shoes.

I think doing yoga barefoot, then putting on the mbt shoes after the class is a good combo. My belief is that yoga is to be practiced barefoot. You can end up using every muscle in your feet, including the little muscles of the toes, for balance and strength. I think any kind of shoe would inhibit your toesy's range of motion.

PS I think I saw mbt shoes on a "Sex and the City" episode when Charlotte and Miranda were running in the park. I love TV shows that show supposedly average people dressed and accessorized with the the best and most expensive stuff. "Friends" was very guilty of this!
tourist
Posted 2005-11-08 8:01 PM (#36123 - in reply to #36114)

Expert Yogi

Oh honey, the Sex and the City girls were NEVER average!
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-11-08 8:55 PM (#36130 - in reply to #33737)

Ha ha ha...well stated!

YogaChicago
Posted 2005-12-13 10:41 AM (#38833 - in reply to #36114)

*Fifi* - 2005-11-08 7:18 PM

Wow! These shoes looks sooo cool! All the cool stuff is always expensive - really expensive. I thought I was being indulgent spending $80.00 on running shoes. I can't imagine spending $385.00 on shoes.

Hi "Fifi", I actually paid for mine only 245.00, so I am not sure of the 345 you mention are the right price, but the place I got mine from can ship them to you. I honestely recommend these shoes, they are doing wonders for me as fas as energy, posture and... energy, I feel alive, I move faster and I am on the go all the time.

As I mentioned, I brought mine at Ruby Room, their website is: http://www.rubyroom.com

I hope this helps and again, try to make the investement, IT IS WORTHY.

Edited by YogaChicago 2005-12-13 10:42 AM
iheartchalupas2
Posted 2007-04-04 1:18 PM (#82309 - in reply to #33737)

A friend of mine pointed me to this survey for MBTs. As fervent user
(I love my new Pink Boost by the way) I thought I'd give it a go.
Every completed survey triggers a donation to your favorite charity.

Just follow the link:
http://www.myvoice.co.uk/scripts/dubinterviewer.dll/Frames?Quest=1288&QW6057=780484&Resp=1442001587
chungiemunchin
Posted 2007-08-29 2:31 PM (#95320 - in reply to #33737)

My 'MBT's came into my life at precisely the same time as I began walking meditation. Buying my MBT's and deciding to start walking meditation were completely independent. Once I started my walking meditation I realized that putting on my MBT's were conducive to meditating while walking. They almost immediately relax me and help me to get into that state where total relaxation occurs while walking. In fact, I don't wear my MBT's except when I do my walking meditation now. It's kind of like putting on a uniform before practicing a martial art. There is a whole attitude that accompanies the wearing of those shoes which is almost sacred to me.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else out there has experienced a similar thing?
vibes
Posted 2011-02-24 5:29 PM (#202814 - in reply to #202649)
Subject: Re: Yoga and mbt shoes

Extreme Veteran

MBT's are not worth the money. Unless you want to wear them for 5 mins, walk around, then walk barefoot and notice what is different about your walking. To use it as a tool to learn about yourself in other words, to help yourself.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)