YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

neck curves
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

knottylizzard
Posted 2005-10-12 6:59 PM (#34242)
Subject: neck curves

Hello-
I have been doing yoga for about 2 years. I have alot of back pain and recently saw a chiropractor for a consultation. I saw 2 different doctors and was told both times that I lack a curve in my neck. I have seen x-rays from both gentlemen, and believe this to be true. They said I was in the beginning of the degeneration and with some regular adjustments and excersises I preform at home we could get my neck to almost normal. I am slightly terrified by the idea of having someone manipulating my spine in anyway, but have heard so many good things about chiropracting. I am really looking for an alternative to this for correcting the curvature of my cervical spine, but can't really find anything. Has anyone had anything similiar to this or any suggestions? Everything would be greatly appreciated. I really would like to go to a yoga teacher certification course in about 5 months, but am not sure if this would be a good idea in light of this news. Thank you! Namaste.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-12 10:39 PM (#34251 - in reply to #34242)
Subject: RE: neck curves

Suggestions:
1. Try to get Back Care Basics by Mary Pulitz...May be wrong spelling, but she is a Doctor in Tenessee, I think.
2. If you are in Virginia, see me.
3. If you can get hold of an experienced teacher, that is best.
4. Teacher Training has nothing to do with Teacher Training, as long as you can take training with whatever neck you have, and the training does not mess up your neck (Ask the Teacher Training Teacher, not others).
5. For your neck, a proper Yoga Training and Rest will be most beneficial. Complete recovery depends on what stage you are in.

Best Luck
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
knottylizzard
Posted 2005-10-12 10:46 PM (#34252 - in reply to #34251)

Thank you Neel. So if I understand you correctly, you believe that I should just continue my yoga practice but now with more emphasis on correcting my straight neck with an expierenced teacher? Do you believe that a chiropractor would not be a good choice? I actually live in Florida so number 1 & 2 are out of the question. Again, thank you!
tourist
Posted 2005-10-13 1:04 AM (#34256 - in reply to #34252)

Expert Yogi

Hi lizard There are a lot of people with no curve or reverse curve in their neck. You need to be careful in headstand and shoulderstand. Do check with your teacher on these poses. Chiro can be great - there are many here who have found it helpful. You could look into other treatments such as Rolfing and Hellerwork which work with the fascia of the muscle. I think they work well together since chiro adjusts the bones and the other styles lengthen the connective tissues. I think of it as adjusting the guy wires of the flag pole as well as straightening the flagpole.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-13 11:15 AM (#34272 - in reply to #34242)

Dear KnottyLizzard:
1. is not out of question that is a book, by Mary.
2. Yes, you should continue the Yoga, but with an experienced instructor, experienced in your situation.
3. And, Chiropractor is ONLY a therapy, not a solution. So, you do what you think is best.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org
knottylizzard
Posted 2005-10-13 4:47 PM (#34303 - in reply to #34242)

Thanks everyone. Ok, misunderstanding with the book, I will go look for it asap. I appreciate the advice, and understand that it will ultimately be up to me. I have every intention of continuing my yoga practice but will be seeking guidance from someone qualified to deepen my practice safely. Once again, thank you both. Namaste
MrD
Posted 2005-10-13 6:56 PM (#34310 - in reply to #34242)

I know I'm a little late, but I had an accident years ago that put my neck out of position. Chiropractors were excellent about getting it back into normal curves. but it took some physical therapy to strengthen the neck muscles to the adjustments would hold better. I found that it took both therapies to really get fixed. I can't believe the difference the combination of therapies made.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)