YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beginner DVD
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

Theo
Posted 2005-10-15 10:54 AM (#34465)
Subject: Beginner DVD

Hi everyone,

I'm a 20 year old male and am looking for a good, no short-cuts, begginners pilates dvd. I've practised yoga for three years so i have flexibility but am interested in developing my core strength and stability.

If anyone has any reccomendations i'd really appreciate them. Or if anyone knows a book that is a great introduction to Pilates i'd love to hear about that too.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Yo'Av
Posted 2005-10-15 4:43 PM (#34482 - in reply to #34465)
Subject: RE: Beginner DVD

Winsor Pilates has a good beginners program, but since you already have experience with yoga, I think you really should try MTV Pilates. the workout has 3 levels demonstrated by four instructors (one basic modifier, one intermediate, and two advanced). it's really fun and you can switch through different levels on different exercises.
Theo
Posted 2005-10-15 6:20 PM (#34483 - in reply to #34465)

Thanks for the reply

I saw the MTV one when i was looking on Amazon and like the look of it. Do you know if it has everything i need to know about Pilates as a beginner though? I don't know anything at the moment except that it's about developing core strength and stability. I'll have a look at both the ones you mentioned though. Thanks again.
Yo'Av
Posted 2005-10-16 1:14 AM (#34497 - in reply to #34465)

well, my answer is going to sound a bit weird, so say so if you don't understand my explanation:
If you're a beginner who wants to know the Pilates workout, then you should try the Winsor Pilates or the Pilates For dummies beginners' program. But, if you're a beginner who wants to do Pilates, then you should try MTV Pilates. My explanation for it:
The beginners' programs in both Winsor Pilates and Pilates For Dummies are designed for first-timers who don't have a clue about this, so it's so much of a workout as it is more like a guided tour. Here you have the names of the exercises written on the screen, as well as proper form dos and don'ts. Sure, you can workout along with the tape/dvd and feel it, but it's so instructional that you'll feel like you can do better. As for MTV PIlates, they don't always tell you the name of the exercise (I guess it's because they don't think you have to know everything about this to stay in shape), and they incorporate some non-traditional pilates movements. some might think this is a bad thing, but I think that this way you can get the benifits of both Pinates and non-Pilates exercises. I don't mind that they don't focus as much on the basics during the workout, because I discovered MTV Pilates after having done Winsor Pilates for 2 years (I have 7 workouts of that series at home), so I kina already feel like an expert. However, there is a section in the MTV dvd that breaks down some of the harder poses.
I hope that was helpful.
Theo
Posted 2005-10-17 7:14 AM (#34535 - in reply to #34465)

It definitely has thankyou

I've just ordered the winsor beginners set because i want to learn about pilates as well as practice it.

Thanks for your help
throwtoy
Posted 2005-10-17 9:14 AM (#34540 - in reply to #34465)

if you want to look at some and see what's looks most interesting to you go here

www.collagevideo.com

if you do a google search ther are even pilates for MEN dvd's out there if you're interested.
Theo
Posted 2005-10-17 11:52 AM (#34555 - in reply to #34465)

Thanks^

So i see I might have to get one of those too.
Yo'Av
Posted 2005-10-18 1:29 AM (#34617 - in reply to #34465)

I'm glad I could help.
one thing I don't understand is why they have to make 'Pilates for men' videos now. I mean, Pilates was a man, and he designed this workout mostly for himself, and somehow now is considered to be a very feminine sport.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-10-18 7:08 AM (#34623 - in reply to #34465)

One could say the same thing about yoga!

I get lots of men in my Pilates classes who think it will be an easy "girlie" exercise class. They are always amazed at how hard it is! EVERYONE could use a different way to strengthen the core, IMHO. Even if you do 200 crunches a day, a good Pilates class will kick your butt.

If you're really interested in learning about Pilates, consider picking up some of the Classical Pilates Technique DVD's. They are not ones you exercise with, but instead perfectly demonstrate the full range of movements from very modified to very advanced. I also recommend Alycea Ungaro's book, "Pilates: Body in Motion."
Theo
Posted 2005-10-20 11:46 AM (#34773 - in reply to #34465)

Thankyou, i will definitely take a look at that book because i always like to have a good book to accompany anything i'm learning.

Thanks all!
ptl_ps
Posted 2005-12-01 3:43 AM (#37919 - in reply to #34465)

I am looking for winsor pilates dvd , where can I downlaod it.

Thanks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)