YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Side effects.
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

mshi_veena
Posted 2005-10-18 2:26 AM (#34618)
Subject: Side effects.

I recently started doing hatha yoga under a teacher. I am doing it for about a week. I am getting Gastic trouble after started doing yoga. Whichever day I do I get gastic related issues that day. If I stop doing yoga, I feel better that day.

am I doing anything wrong?. Any particular asana I should avoid for this?. Any advice ?

If I change the sequences of asanas, does it affect?. Some times, I do only few asanas only because of lack of time. Does it affects?.

thanks
-mshi veena-

Edited by mshi_veena 2005-10-18 2:44 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2005-10-18 9:23 AM (#34628 - in reply to #34618)
Subject: RE: Side effects.

I've noticed similar things with an increase in flatulence, and changes in my stool content.  Not entirely sure what the cause is, and it's never been bad enough to bother me.  If you have a serious problem, causing pain, interfering with regular life, go see a doctor.  If it's just odd, accept it as part of the process.  Mine seems to have disappeared, so I'm not going to worry about it.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-18 10:24 AM (#34633 - in reply to #34618)

Dear mshi veena:
Please specify exactly what Trouble you are experiencing. For example:

if you are giving out more gases, called farting, that is a very good sign. This means in the past you already had the trouble, and the yoga exercise is now addressing that issue.

if you are feeling acidic feeling in stomach which comes up during exercise, that is also a good sign. This can mean, you have food in your stomach and the digestion is active while doing exercise. Or, this can mean you take certain dosha-food which is tolerated (NOT accepted, tolerated) when exercise is not done. But, due to Yoga exercise, the effect is such that the food is thrown.

same arguement applies to bowel movements.

Now, to conclude, the Yoga Exercise, done properly (amount of exercise, with proper rest, and food) shall NEVER give you bad effect.

Also, while we are on this point: I want to discuss this topic: Side Effect: Actually, there is NO such a thing as Side Effect in any thing whether Yoga, or medicine, or meditation. All effects are real effects and direct effects. What people call side effect is: They are expecting some effect. And, something other than that effect, mostly an undesirable effect is coming. They call this side effect. Let me explain by example:

Someone takes aspirin for pain relief. Now, they expect pain relief as the only effect. But, that messes up someones stomach leading to ulcer. So, ulcer is called side effect in this case. Actulally, ulcer is real and sure effect of aspirin. However, depending on the health and other habits of a person, a person may or may not get ulcer. So, in one case it is considered side effect. But, in both cases, it is real effect. Its expression depends on many factors. For example, one who does not get ulcer from 3 tabs in a day shall probably get it when 10 a day are taken. Or, a person may die in an attempt to save a life, another side effect!!!

Peace
Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

kks
Posted 2005-10-18 11:24 AM (#34636 - in reply to #34618)

HI MSHI VEENA,

I considered your case listed in user list. Actually, there is no such a thing as side effect in any thing whether Yoga or meditation. The condition you mentioned may be a Healing Crisis. While the body eliminating the waste/morbid matters to improve their capacities, body may suffer some kind of disabilities. These disabililties we call it as HEALING CRISIS. May be your body organs being paid for rejuvenation. So, let it do its own cleansing process. Don’t perform asanas, which gives pressure on abdomen till the prognosis period. Apply cold wet pack on whole abdomen twice a day. Drink Ashgard juice and pomegranate juice (crush it and the seeds must removed while extract the juice) twice a day. Perform Relaxative asanas like shavasan, makrasan,etc.. Listen melody musics. Stay away from sentiments, emotions and sadness. Surely you will detach these side effects shortly.

Caringly,
kks
tourist
Posted 2005-10-18 2:51 PM (#34650 - in reply to #34618)

Expert Yogi

Mishi - rather than argue about semantics, lets look at your practice. Do you practice alone or with a teacher? What poses do you do? What sequence? Do you allow several hours between eating and practicing? If you have a full stomach when you do yoga, it will cause all sorts of discomfort. If you drink too much water while practicing, it will be uncomfortable. It is almost never necessary to drink water during practice unless you are doing a very hot form of yoga (and even then, it is not a great idea). Drink before and after, not during. Do you eat or drink very quickly after practice? Give your body a break between practice and eating.
mshi_veena
Posted 2005-10-18 10:46 PM (#34682 - in reply to #34618)

Thanks for all of you.

Neel Kulkarni,

I am getting acidic feeling, but not when I am doing yoga. I am getting after few hours. Let's say, I do yoga morning 6am, I am getting after lunch. As I am doing yoga in early mornings, I am not taking any food or drink. Another strange thing is, I am finding very tired when I am doing yoga.

Tourist,
?? Do you practice alone or with a teacher?
weekly one session with teacher . In other days, I practice alone. I start with Surya namaskar. Then my sequence is :

1. headstand
2. Shoulder stand
3. fishpose
4. plough pose
5. head knee pose
6. cobra pose
7. halflocust pose
8. locust pose
9. bow pose
10. spinal twist
11. peacock pose
12. triangle pose
13. alternate breathing

>> Do you allow several hours between eating and practicing?
Yes. I do early morning, so empty stomach only.

My questions are:
1. Does it really matter, if I miss one or two poses in the sequence. Does it affect?.
2. Do you suggest me to go ahead without bothering about this problem for a some time. So that It will get disappeared itself.

Thanks and Regards,
-Meenakshi Veena-
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-10-18 11:39 PM (#34684 - in reply to #34618)

Hello Meenakshi:

Understood your situation. What I am guessing is your diet and rest are improper. If you are open to tell these in details, I can help further, otherwise you can also email me. neel@authenticyoga.org.

Now your questions:
My questions are:
1. Does it really matter, if I miss one or two poses in the sequence. Does it affect?.
There is no problem in missing any poses in any sequence. There is NO such a thing as a fixed sequence. Forming a sequnce has certain advantage, but missing a sequence has NO bad effect.

2. Do you suggest me to go ahead without bothering about this problem for a some time. So that It will get disappeared itself.
No, you should resolve the problem.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

Posted 2006-08-13 3:56 AM (#61630 - in reply to #34682)

Meenakshi,

This is a Sivananda Sequence you are practicing?
If so you're best to ask those folks about the sequencing. I don't know if Neel has a background there or not. You're going to get differing views on sequencing.

I don't know why that particular sequence has been assembled but I'd agree with Neel that it matters very little if you omit a pose. However there is one concern and that is what you refer to as "fish" pose. Are you bearing weight on the head in that pose?

But this is not related to your digestion issues.

It is more likely that your diet and worry have more to do with your digestion than this sequence.
I would not ignore any message or communication from your body. Just the opposite. Listen carefully.

Please try some dietary changes first. It is also possible your Central Nervous System is Sympathetic which is referred to as "Fight or Flight". In this state the digestion is not a priority and is shut down so the body may flee (even though in the modern world we are not fleeing).Some practices (sequences) can set the nervous system into this mode, energize it, aggrivate it, pump it up.

When your nervous system gos into parasympathic it is the relaxation response that kicks in and digestion works properly. In the first scenario the stomach goes alkaline as a result of the impending stress. The stomach works when it is acidic and therefore acts up on you. You might notice this if you rush to eat, eat on the go, in your car, or with a mind of "I've got to get to what's next". So you want a calm, resting state in which to do your digestive work.

mshi_veena - 2005-10-18 7:46 PM

1. headstand
2. Shoulder stand
3. fishpose
4. plough pose
5. head knee pose
6. cobra pose
7. halflocust pose
8. locust pose
9. bow pose
10. spinal twist
11. peacock pose
12. triangle pose
13. alternate breathing

My questions are:

Edited by purnayoga 2006-08-13 3:59 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)