YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

other fitness classes
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-12 12:05 PM (#40818 - in reply to #35073)
Subject: RE: other fitness classes

ZB- That sort of work load is unhealthy. Part of the reason I left California, and refuse to go back is that these sort of 16 hour work days seemed to be expected. If people want to work like that, that fine. Personally I think something would have to be on fire to convince me that working more than 40 hours was a good idea. I also find it disturbing that people are killing themselves to release something that's a non-essential. If a movie comes out a few weeks or months later the only thing that's hurt is the bottom line, ie profits. While this might result in fewer movies getting made, I'm not so sure that's not a bad thing considering some of the stinkers that have been released recently. I'm also surprised that they people have anytime for their families or anything else that really matters. It appears that they're avoiding life by being busy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-01-12 1:59 PM (#40832 - in reply to #35073)

Zoebird,

Thanks for the lecture. I had no idea people in Hollywood had it so bad. Where can I send my donation?
Cyndi
Posted 2006-01-12 2:11 PM (#40834 - in reply to #40832)

Expert Yogi

Excuse me, but what you guys are describing is a typical day, actually a nice day if you are a movie star....so what?? Besides, movie stars don't have the added pressures of money $$ and real life drama's to deal with. In fact, most of them are delusioned when it comes to life anyway. I'll give you a good example of one...

Take Arnold Swarsomthing...who just put a man to DEATH based on moral issues, then turns around has an accident with his 12 year old son on his Harley Davidson and didn't have a Motorcycle license. To top it off with insult, he's not going to be fined for not having a Motor cycle license due to a loophole in the law. His comments were, "Oh, I never even thought about getting a license" and has been driving without one for years and admitted on national TV. This is crap and BS - especially for those who live *real* lives struggling to pay our atronomical monthly insurance policies mandated by law on our vehicles. If we don't have a license, we have to suffer by having our driving priviledge (as they so carefully remind us that it is a priviledge to drive) revoked and walking to our destinations, and we loose the tags on our vehicles if we don't comply with the rules that people like Arnold S. make!!! Yea right.
Kabu
Posted 2006-01-12 2:17 PM (#40836 - in reply to #40818)

GreenJello - 2006-01-12 12:05 PM
It appears that they're avoiding life by being busy.

My sister does that. Any textbook that describes this problem should use her picture as the illustration.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-12 2:23 PM (#40837 - in reply to #35073)

Cyndi- I think you're comparing apples and oranges. The guy they just put to death was the organizer of one of the most vicious gangs in LA, and was convicted of killing multiple people in a court of law. His death will serve as a deterent to anybody else who feels it's perfectly fine to kill people, or organize gangs.

AS was driving a motorcycle w/o a peice of paper indicating that he was capable of doing so. Since he's been doing it for years w/o any problems I think he's probably satisfied the spirit of the law, which was to make sure people knew how to operator the motorcycle safely. Should he be fined? Absolutely! Should he be put to death? Probably not.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-12 2:34 PM (#40841 - in reply to #40836)

Kabu - 2006-01-12 2:17 PM

GreenJello - 2006-01-12 12:05 PM
It appears that they're avoiding life by being busy.

My sister does that. Any textbook that describes this problem should use her picture as the illustration.

Me too, I'm just not very good at it.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-01-12 2:38 PM (#40842 - in reply to #40837)

Expert Yogi

GJ,

I don't believe in the Death Penalty. So, we can't have this discussion. I'm talking about the moral issue which is what Arnold based his decision on. In fact, he claimed the guy didn't give a proper apology and that is why he was executed. Arnold's wreckless statements about his Drivers license proves he has no morals either and can't abide by the laws that he created...which is BS..Its the principal here, not the crime.

Edited by Cyndi 2006-01-12 2:40 PM
Kabu
Posted 2006-01-12 2:46 PM (#40844 - in reply to #40841)

GreenJello - 2006-01-12 2:34 PM

The girl just gets around to checking her email at 11pm or so. And that's her main method of communication, as she rarely has time to talk on the phone. It's bizarre.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-12 3:20 PM (#40849 - in reply to #40844)

Cyndi- I can understand your position on the death penalty, there are a lot of problems with it. I support it, you don't, okay. As far as Arnold goes, yeah, he should have to abide by the penalties of the law of the land. OTOH, when was the last time a cop got a speeding ticket? There are laws and there are Laws.

Kabu - 2006-01-12 2:46 PM

GreenJello - 2006-01-12 2:34 PM

The girl just gets around to checking her email at 11pm or so. And that's her main method of communication, as she rarely has time to talk on the phone. It's bizarre.

Sounds like something else. My brother was pretty hard to get a hold of for a long time. Now that he's divorced he's calling me on a regular basis.

Posted 2006-01-12 3:32 PM (#40850 - in reply to #40832)

fifi:

i wasn't lecturing, just giving and idea about what goes on.

and most of the people whom i know are not wealthy movie stars. admittedly, i don't know jennifer anniston and that lot of a-listers, which is relatively small. but i do know a lot of working actors, who do not make a lot of money (no more than average folks in other jobs, and certainly less than many of the corporate middle and upper managers at my husband's company), and work very hard in a number of ways.

sadly, they get lumped in with those who are more glamorous or it's assumed that they get to spend all day lazing around.

I'm not saying that wealthy people don't have it nice or whatever, but i was pointing out that most people--a list or not--work very hard, and have as many pressures (and different pressures) as average folks. And they do their best to deal with them too.

i think i just dislike all the harsh judgements and the belief that 'regular folks' have impossibly difficult lives and that 'actors and such' have great lives full of fun and ease. It's simply not the case. And it would definately deflate the 'cult of celebrity' if people realized this.

and you 'donate' every time you watch tv, buy a magazine with a movie star in or on it, or go to a movie.

GJ:

doesn't matter the business or anything else. my husband works at a software company by day, and they expect far beyond the 40 hrs a week from people and harass them to get it. That's in PA. A lot of people in a lot of jobs overwork themselves, regardless of where they live. Often, they do it for the wrong reasons.

I admit, my friend who is an actor and those who are screenwriters, they love their jobs. Just as i can't stop thinking about yoga, they can't stop thinking about their work. So, it's easy to get 'carried away' and work 60 or 70 hours a week on a project that you love. It's hard to do when it's a project that you hate. So, there is an element of "at least these people get to do what they love." which is a benefit.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-12 3:59 PM (#40854 - in reply to #40850)

zoebird - 2006-01-12 3:32 PM
GJ:

doesn't matter the business or anything else.

I think it does, I literally interviewed with a dozen companies in the valley. Overworking was pretty apparent in almost every one. With the companies I've interviewed with here the problem is not as bad. This also goes for my friends who also work as engineers at various companies here in Cincinnati.

You are correct that we shouldn't generalize, but there is a certain culture that evolves in various places, and my experience with the culture of california, primarily silicon valley was one of work-a-holism.

Bad things happen all over, but I'm more likely to get mugged in the bad part of town than in the upper class one.

I admit, my friend who is an actor and those who are screenwriters, they love their jobs. Just as i can't stop thinking about yoga, they can't stop thinking about their work. So, it's easy to get 'carried away' and work 60 or 70 hours a week on a project that you love. It's hard to do when it's a project that you hate. So, there is an element of "at least these people get to do what they love." which is a benefit.

True.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-12 4:50 PM (#40858 - in reply to #35073)

Okay, I have to be honest. I do remember one company that was probably comparable to the one I'm working at now. Much less pressure, etc. Anyway, my impressions of silicon valley was that work-a-holism is a big problem there. The software industry itself is also seems to have problems with this.
Rhachel
Posted 2006-02-07 1:28 AM (#43026 - in reply to #35073)

Wow this is the weirdest discussion of fitness classes I have ever come across!
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-07 9:44 AM (#43049 - in reply to #43026)

I forgot the original question. It had something to do with Arnold Swartzen-howeveryouspellit doing YogaFuLates (TM), didn't it?
amanda
Posted 2006-07-13 4:43 AM (#58490 - in reply to #35073)

I too am a huge callan enthusiast,her videos are quite popular on ebay,easy to purchase at a great price.
Thankx to callan i lost tons of weight after my last baby,and I am now having the strength and flexibility to practise yoga and dance.
its great to a couple of others remember her

I realy dont get how she could come accross as annoying,callan I mean,I find her voice so gentle and reasuring,and she guides me so well.

callanetics is my first excercise,its what I know I can rely on to be easy and gentle on my body but yet so very powerful and sculpts my body into something amazing.

smiles to all

amanda
xxxxxxxxxxx
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-07-13 9:12 AM (#58508 - in reply to #35073)

Hey yeah, I had Callenetics once too. I really liked the exersizes, but I could see how someone would see Callen as annoying. She didn't bother me, but someone called her patrician. The exersizes were effective, and easy to learn. I did a friend a favor after she had a baby, and lent her my tape. That was the end of Callenetics for me.
joscmt
Posted 2006-08-12 12:50 AM (#61582 - in reply to #35073)

Holy Cow! I hadn't thought of Callenetics since the 80s! I think I was a teen when I last tried it. I knew nothing of anatomy or muscle contractions or anything.. But after reading everyone's post here, I decided to give it another whirl. My VHS is somewhere I'm sure, but I ordered the DVD (mine is chaptered) and man, it kicked my butt today! I've been working out for a while now, but the isolate moves really made me work. Esp. now that I understand what she is talking about. When I was 13, I didn't get it.... I was all about Jane Fonda back then! I think I'm going to incorporate this with my yoga now.
I didn't find her annoying, but the dated outfits were fun! Thank God the days of the shiny leotard and nude hose are gone!!
sherlyroger86
Posted 2012-01-09 2:13 AM (#209779 - in reply to #35073)

It is very appealing to try and replicate the "moviestar" diet plan and exercise routines because they all had such ideal body.
leroyfaanunu
Posted 2012-02-02 8:33 PM (#209946 - in reply to #35073)
Subject: Re: other fitness classes

Yeah, we have the same situation. It is hard..
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)