YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

whats yoga?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for BeginnersMessage format

fefe
Posted 2005-11-11 2:50 PM (#36373)
Subject: whats yoga?

Hi all, although iv always loved the idia of exercese and fitness i just turned the big "40" and the only thing iv done is 23 yrs of children, my three, my two sisters, one niece, one nefew and now expected to "help" haha, with my first grandchild.OK NO now iv decided its finaly all about me!!! i just started looking in to the hole gym thing and well i dont think thats for me. i like the sound of yoga so please tell me a little about it. is it for weight loss or meditation, is it some kind of religion focused thing like buda or something cause im not into that. mind body and sprite, what is the focus and purpose.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
laurajhawk
Posted 2005-11-11 3:25 PM (#36377 - in reply to #36373)
Subject: RE: whats yoga?

The focus and purpose depends a lot on you. It can be all the things you mention, but it doesn't have to be religious unless you want it to be. I suggest you start with some of the articles on this site, at http://yoga.com/ydc/enlighten/enlighten_category.asp?section=9&cat=88
and then come back to the forum with your questions

Welcome!
afroyogi
Posted 2005-11-11 3:54 PM (#36378 - in reply to #36373)

Fefe,
yoga by definition is a philosophy, a lifestyle that spans a lot of topics. If you want, it can just be a physical workout (hatha) but also it can be a practice for your mind (meditation, kundalini, kharma yoga) and it can even help you getting closer to the deity of your choice.

See, in the east people tend to see things as a whole not only the details, so in yoga there's not much difference between your physique and your psyche, and it's not to be practiced with one single goal in mind. If you practice for weight loss you'll also strenghten your abs and other muscles at the same time. Also it's good for your bones and joints, your lungs and everything.

Take for example medicine: In the west, when your appendix hurts, the docs take it out. In the east they look for the root of the problem and try to heal in a holistic way. Yoga is holistic too, it works in many ways.

So, if you start taking up yoga, it's not like a football training that you do, like, twice a week. Take yoga as a journey: You practice yoga 24/7 cause yoga is a way of life! Once you practice yoga it will change your life. You'll start to think differently, act differently, eat differently, breathe differently, carry your body in a different way and so on. Short, you'll become a better person.

This is just a very short and simplified definition of what yoga is to me. As stupid as it sounds, it really is the unification of body, mind and spirit. I don't know any other way to put it.

Most important though: YOGA IS FUN!

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-11-11 4:53 PM (#36384 - in reply to #36373)

Afroyogi, that is an awesome definition!

I can't add much to that other than to say that the best way to define yoga for you is just to try it. Then, you will begin to understand!
fefe
Posted 2005-11-12 10:14 AM (#36405 - in reply to #36373)
Subject: RE: OH MY GOD!!!

Thanks sooo much for all the replies I think I am beggining to understand. I also read a little in the on-line pages of " light on yoga by b.s.k. iyenger" It is So very deeep and interesting im already in love with yoga and haven't done a single pose yet!! Im running out today to buy what ever i can find because I live in Louisiana and NO one seems to know anything about it. there are ; sadly to say; no instructors or even a singel class. some one could probebly make a fourtune just teaching it here. I realy want to know everything about it ! the meditation, healing. the hole mind body and spirit thing. any advice were i should start. Im not a big person and pretty flexable but no were near ready for the kind of poses iv seen on the cover some of these books. will i need props, books, dvds or all of the above. I cant wait, im so excited!
ravineave
Posted 2005-11-12 10:31 AM (#36408 - in reply to #36373)

Good for you, go for it. I started Yoga about a year ago and it has changed my life and opened whole new worlds to me. Hope Katrina didn’t make too much of a mess in your area in Louisiana. Ps, I lived in New Orleans for a few years, many years ago. Still miss the Oysters.
fefe
Posted 2005-11-12 10:54 AM (#36409 - in reply to #36373)

Hi, I realy am excited about this, is it hard to learn the meditation part? i cant keep my mind on one thing long enough to finish a thought much less meditate. any way i live in the twin citys monroe and west monroe so no damadge here but my sisters in lake charles got hit pritty bad thair homes no longer exist. but we're dealing with it one day at a time the worst part is thair children feel lost in the temp. houseing and seem to be takeing it realy hard.
DownwardDog
Posted 2005-11-12 11:41 AM (#36413 - in reply to #36373)

well I'd just add that think yoga is something different to everyone. For some it's a sport, to others a way of life, to others a vehicle to meditation, to some a spiritual endevour....

You'll find out what it is to you as your practice progresses!

Have fun!

afroyogi
Posted 2005-11-12 11:51 AM (#36415 - in reply to #36384)

jeansyoga - 2005-11-12 10:53 PM
Afroyogi, that is an awesome definition!

*blushing* uuuh, thanx, Jean! No it's just what I've figured out about yoga during my "journey". And though I'm certainly not the greatest practitioner and don't follow a really yogic lifestyle I nevertheless strongly believe in it. It was all I could say about it in a language that's not my own. You've just witnessed my english ability at its peak level.

Fefe, it's great that you're already hooked although you haven't practiced yet. Have you tried the "Studio/Teacher Directory" at the homepage of yoga.com? Just type in your ZIP code or your area and I bet that something will come up. Yoga's grown sooo big in the states, you're probably the country with the highest studio/people ratio in the world. I can't believe that there's no studio around your neck of the woods.

I won't suggest any books or DVDs for a beginner, but that's another story and I've grown tired of telling it over and over again. You just have to take my word since I'm not alone with my opinion. I gather the majority of boardmembers also don't believe in books and DVDs for beginners.
But surely some of the more optimistic home-practitioners here will pop up with some appropriate titles for you.

Oh, wait, there's one book, considered the bible of yoga: BKS Iyengar "Light On Yoga". It has something of everything, the philosophy, the practice, some knwledge about the body, some meditation. No, I still won't suggest using it for practice but to keep it in your outhouse. It's certainly a good read.

Edited by afroyogi 2005-11-12 12:03 PM
GreenJello
Posted 2005-11-12 3:52 PM (#36425 - in reply to #36415)

afroyogi - 2005-11-12 11:51 AMAnd though I'm certainly not the greatest practitioner and don't follow a really yogic lifestyle I nevertheless strongly believe in it.

I think you're just being modest.  You strike me as the sort of guy who would author "The lazy man's guide to Enlightenment", and get "there" before the rest of us over achievers. 

Oh, wait, there's one book, considered the bible of yoga: BKS Iyengar "Light On Yoga". It has something of everything, the philosophy, the practice, some knwledge about the body, some meditation. No, I still won't suggest using it for practice but to keep it in your outhouse. It's certainly a good read.

I think it's an excellent reference manual, but I don't think that most of the sections are good reading.  The asana section in particular reads much more like an encyclopedia than anything.  That having been said, the first two sections are excellent for just reading.
tourist
Posted 2005-11-12 5:24 PM (#36431 - in reply to #36425)

Expert Yogi

GJ - I think you just found the perfect assignment for Stefan! Get going on that book, Stefan

As for LOY - we are told to read the introduction at least once a year. Every time I read it I see something "new."
fechter03
Posted 2005-11-12 9:19 PM (#36446 - in reply to #36378)

Extreme Veteran

afroyogi - 2005-11-11 3:54 PM
Once you practice yoga it will change your life. You'll start to think differently, act differently, eat differently, breathe differently, carry your body in a different way and so on. Short, you'll become a better person.

what's amazing is that you'll start doing these things EVEN IF all you do is the physical/workout part of it. i still don't know how that works.
fefe
Posted 2005-11-13 6:09 PM (#36472 - in reply to #36373)

you people are funny !! i did buye the book yesterday and started reading it, it dose read like an encyclopedia but thats ok because i am finding out alot i didnt know. my question for instance " whats yoga" turns out to be a bigger question than i thought whith a lot of answers. i do find it extreamly deep for a small word like yoga. it's kinda like baking soda, can be used for anything and very helpful to everyone, whiten your teeth, clean the sink or cure an upset tummy. i guess im crazy but at this point im interested in every level but havent done more than read about it because i don't know were to start. i did do a search but nothing came up and the only thing i can find around here is pilates, which is a good workout but i cant get very passionate about that. i also bought two copies of the yoga journal. and ok.. i tried two poses and felt like an idiot. i did not look like the model !! nor did i feel relaxed ! it felt kinda like " throw your butt on top of your head and breath" thats funny !! im going to keep looking for an instructor and if i cant find one i think ill try hatha for begginers. in the mean time it looks like i realy need to practice on some balance and breathing.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-11-14 5:33 AM (#36494 - in reply to #36472)

The 'bible' of the Sivananda tradition is often considered to be Asana, Pranayama, Mudra & Bandha by Swami Satyananda Saraswati. I found this book to be very useful as it describes why you do certain asana and includes a warm-up routine (Pawanmaktasana) and detailed instruction on all elements of yoga.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/8186336141/qid=1131964187/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/203-9450436-5452737

You'd need something more if you want to learn about the spiritual aspects and/or history of yoga but it's a good starting point, if somewhat dry in style.

Fee
tourist
Posted 2005-11-14 10:11 AM (#36534 - in reply to #36472)

Expert Yogi

fefe - try a book for beginners rather than LOY. How to Use Yoga by Mira Mehta, Yoga Your Way by Cindy Dollar are both nice.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)