YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga Practice
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

fechter03
Posted 2005-12-06 4:18 PM (#38358 - in reply to #37836)
Subject: RE: Yoga Practice

Extreme Veteran

kulkarnn - 2005-11-30 8:32 AM
Now, I am starting this thread with the statement: When one is doing Yoga Practice, they should do all the desired activites in Yoga as per their goal, and NOT just one side of it. Especially, if they are doing 4 hours a day, definitely they should not do Phsysical Exercises all those four hours. They shall miss a lot that way, and also get a wrong understanding of Yoga. Again, they are likely to injure their body if proper rest, proper diet, etc are not followed with excessive physical exercise. When they learn a Yoga activity of one kind, they should choose instruction of that kind, not go to Asana class to learn Chanting, etc.

Neel Kulkarni
www.authenticyoga.org

i'm confused.

you say that one should not practice just one aspect of yoga but at the same time they should practice "as per their goal". it sounds as if you object to someone praticing only one or more aspects of yoga and neglecting the rest (ie only asana for example). but what if this is the person's goal?? could you explain a bit more.

also, as was revealed later on in the thread, it is very difficult to practice most things without a teacher; even if the person wanted to embrace ALL what yoga encompasses, such a task to me is impossible without a teacher. right now, i have an asana teacher, i go to class, i get a good workout, i feel great. sometimes i practice at home or whatever. in the next month or so, i won't even have that asana teacher anymore. i'm moving to a remote area and will be on my own. even if i wanted to embrace more of "yoga" in my life, i really couldn't. so, for me, asana is all yoga will ever really be. a lot of the time in life, what you want and need and what is available are two completely different things...maybe i'm going off in a tangent, but...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-12-06 5:53 PM (#38369 - in reply to #37836)

Dear Fletcher:

When I say goal, I do not really mean Asana. Asana can be a goal, but one really does Asana for something, not for Asana itself. That something is a goal. For example, a goal may be to become Flexible. Now, when one wants to be flexible, they should do all these aspects of Yoga, not just Asana a) Asana b) Peace of Mind c) Correct Diet d) Rest. ETC.

Now, when personal teacher is NOT available, next possible media has to be chosen. For example, in order a) One time or periodic privates with experienced teacher, b) Workshop by Experienced Teacher, c) Communication with Experienced Teacher d) Privately made video from a Experienced teacher e) Book by Experienced (NOT Famous ) teacher. f) Audio by Experienced Teacher.

You will be surprised to find what out of above is available, but not known to you or not used by you.

Neel Kulkarni
http://www.authenticyoga.org
fechter03
Posted 2005-12-06 9:38 PM (#38387 - in reply to #38369)

Extreme Veteran

kulkarnn - 2005-12-06 5:53 PM

Dear Fletcher:

When I say goal, I do not really mean Asana. Asana can be a goal, but one really does Asana for something, not for Asana itself. That something is a goal. For example, a goal may be to become Flexible. Now, when one wants to be flexible, they should do all these aspects of Yoga, not just Asana a) Asana b) Peace of Mind c) Correct Diet d) Rest. ETC.

Now, when personal teacher is NOT available, next possible media has to be chosen. For example, in order a) One time or periodic privates with experienced teacher, b) Workshop by Experienced Teacher, c) Communication with Experienced Teacher d) Privately made video from a Experienced teacher e) Book by Experienced (NOT Famous ) teacher. f) Audio by Experienced Teacher.

You will be surprised to find what out of above is available, but not known to you or not used by you.

Neel Kulkarni

oh..i think i see what you're saying now.. for instance, if someone does asana practice for good health, strength/flexibility, you're saying that their goal will be reached easier if they were to embrace better pranayama practice, diet, etc and not just by asana??

as for my personal situation, i have tons of books and dvd's to last a while to go along with my growing experience. i'm confident that i will be ok, however i will not pass up any opportunities to get instruction later on if and when that happens.

Edited by fechter03 2005-12-06 9:41 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-12-06 11:30 PM (#38395 - in reply to #37836)

oh..i think i see what you're saying now.. for instance, if someone does asana practice for good health, strength/flexibility, you're saying that their goal will be reached easier if they were to embrace better pranayama practice, diet, etc and not just by asana??

What I am saying is: The one with that goal should address all known necessities, not just one. So, considering your above example, addressing diet is MUST, not just makes the goal achievement easier.

Neel Kulkarni
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)