YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yeast Infections-Need Advice
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Bikram YogaMessage format

Ram
Posted 2005-12-01 3:16 PM (#37972)
Subject: Yeast Infections-Need Advice

Hello Everyone,

I've been doing Bikram Yoga now for 2 years and over the last 8 months or so I've developed a chronic vaginal yeast infection. I go anywhere from 3 to 5 times per week. I eat a candida free diet...no sugar, white flour, white rice etc....for several years. I've never been prone to yeast infections. I've been doing everything I can think of to get rid of it including antifungal suppositories and creams. The only thing I can think of that could be contributing to this is the yoga???? Has anyone out there heard of such a connection? Please help!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gainup
Posted 2005-12-01 6:15 PM (#37986 - in reply to #37972)
Subject: RE: Yeast Infections-Need Advice

Hi, I remember my sister in law telling me she had the same problem. She would change immediately after class and even take a short shower. It would make sense with all the sweating going on. Do you wear undies under your yoga clothes. I don't and I think that helps. I wear capri pants so no undies isn't an issue.
Miabella704
Posted 2005-12-01 6:31 PM (#37987 - in reply to #37972)

This is happening to me, too. The last six months or so I develop a yeast infection around the time of ovulation every month. I'm thinking of getting checked for diabetes. Also, a friend told me to either get rid of my panties and get all new ones or wash the ones I have in bleach water and iron them, when dry, to kill any yeast.
This could be from a hormone shift or other issue. My advice is to go see a gyn. doctor and have him check your bloodsugar as well as run cultures to make sure it is yeast. These are the steps I'm taking, as well.
tourist
Posted 2005-12-01 7:56 PM (#37992 - in reply to #37972)
Subject: RE: Yeast Infections-Need Advi

Expert Yogi

Wow - that's miserable The other advice is good but I would add a simple bit. Try a vinegar and water rinse (1 Tbsp vinegar to a cup of warm water) after your shower (or during) and maybe another one sometime later in the day. Obviously you have eliminated perfumed soaps etc.?
Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-01 9:24 PM (#38000 - in reply to #37992)

Expert Yogi

There are many complicated reasons for yeast infections and there are several kinds of remedies for yeast infections along with several causes.

In Chinese Medicine, Dampness is the number one factor, then follows heat in the liver and then an inbalance of the spleen. So, with these factors known, you can do several things. My first choice would be to balance the body with Acupuncture which is great for heat in the liver and balancing the internal organs. Secondly, I would be taking supportive herbs and a dietary change or addition for the dampness. Having dampness in the body is caused from so many things such as diet, weather, or internal organ weakness.

Dietary factors are too much raw, cold, sweet or mucus-forming foods. If you are robust and overheated, people can benefit, but if dampness is present, you really should lightly cook your vegetables. Late nite eating is also another factor as well.

Foods that dry up dampness are things like: rye, amaranth, corn, aduki beans, celery, lettuce (be careful with this one) pumpkin, scallions, alfalfa, turnip, kohlrabi, white pepper, RAW HONEY , all bitter herbs such as Chaparral, chamomile, a pau d'arco. Raw goats milk is the one dairy product that will not usually contribute to damp condiitons in the body.

Also, be aware that parasites can be another factor to yeast infections. If you are eating a raw food diet, you are more susceptible to this factor...especially eating raw lettuce. Pinworms are usually the culprit and can be either treated with eating lots of raw garlic and purging the system over a period of time. This method is usually not that effective, and Chinese Herbs are time consuming and take a while to work. I like to use a product called Pin-X. It is the most effective and quick method I know of with no side effects. I try to use this after the summer months because that is when most cultures start eating vegetables that purge the system for worms in a gradual way. Americans do not practice this. There are other vegetables that can eliminate worms and parasites, along with candida overgrowth and that is Indian or Chinese Bitter Melon and eating lots of garlic.

Along with balancing your body so that it will naturally rid your body of these kinds of things is ideal and should be your habit so that you can avoid yeast overgrowth, and parasites. Unfortunately even a healthy diet doesn't give you all the necessary means if you don't know what kinds of things you need to be eating and what herbs to take.

I pulled some of the information I just gave you from Paul Pitchford's Healing with Whole Foods book. You really should have a copy in your house if you want to really treat your symptoms and heal your body.

Tourist, an old folk remedy of apple cider vinegar, warm water and honey is great for yeast infections and chronic conditions...but, it's not good for long term or the sole remedy because one must continually use the vinegar, otherwise the condition returns. Which leads to vinegar dependency, which can be overcome if the diet and other pertinent factors in the lifestyle are improved. Also, because vinegar doesn't treat the internal organs which need to be strong in order for the body to naturally resolve these kinds of deficiencies and inbalances. Technically, worms should never bother us..they are in everything...our body usually passes them right on through. I know this sounds gross, but, its for real guys whether you like it or not. No need to be embarrassed, 95% of human beings have some type of parasite in their bodies. The other 5% are the lucky or healthy ones, Sorry, couldn't resist that one Tourist,
laurajhawk
Posted 2005-12-01 9:26 PM (#38001 - in reply to #37972)

I had this problem once before I ever did yoga. Taking brewer's yeast daily (4-6 tablets) solved it completely.
Miabella704
Posted 2005-12-01 9:36 PM (#38002 - in reply to #37972)

You girls are great! Thanks for all the advice. Yes, I eat alot of raw produce and I'm not vigilant about cleaning it well. I buy all organic and I truly believe that the soil found in raw plant foods provides minerals, etc. I could have pinworms, I guess. Yikes! I used to get those as a child from playing outside in the dirt, etc.
I'm going to try the brewer's yeast, etc. Thanks for the support and info.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-12-01 11:48 PM (#38007 - in reply to #37972)

Hey Girls:
I am no expert on the Yeast Infection. But, if I may give a suggestion:

Why not stop the Hot Yoga, say for 3 months, and perform other (say Dry Yoga) in that period, and then let us know the outcome of your practice.

Looking forward to it.

Neel Kulkarni
http://www.authenticyoga.org
Orbilia
Posted 2005-12-02 5:22 AM (#38012 - in reply to #38007)

I find I get fungal infections everywhere when put on certain kinds of anti-biotics. I discovered that eating live yogurt each day I'm taking the pills really knocks the fungal issue on the head. The best bit about yogurt is you can also use it topically to sooth the itching. I recommend doing this in the bath tub though as it can get really messy else :-)

Fee
tourist
Posted 2005-12-02 10:09 AM (#38017 - in reply to #38012)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - yes, I have heard that most of us have parasites. Maybe more than 95% The vinegar splash won't cure anything, but is probably a good preventative if it is just the external sweat that is starting the infections.

Neel - thanks for suggesting that! I was going to say it myself but we ARE on the Bikram board and I didn't want to sound like I was Bikram "bashing!" It seems apparent to me that this is a heat related issue, either externally or as Cyndi says, an internal heat and dampness thing. I think it is very reasonable to suggest trying a different form of practice - if you can't stand the heat, get out of the Bikram..... ummm....err.... kitchen
Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-02 10:20 AM (#38018 - in reply to #38012)

Expert Yogi

Yeast infections are not caused by an external situation, it is internal. A yeast infection is merely a symptom of the internal imbalance. The last thing I would do would be to quit my yoga practice...if anything, practicing yoga helps to relieve the pain and helps massage the internal organs - which definitely needs to be stimulated - especially during a yeast overgrowth flare up! Since yeast infections (see my previous post) are caused by internal heat in the liver and gallbladder, and dampness, I would try lowering the heat, but not too much. I have a safe and enjoyable practice in between 85-95 degrees. If I were wearing clothes, I would be fine at 75-80 degrees, but I like to wear hardly any clothes when I practice my yoga at home or in the hot studio. Then I would re-think my diet, but, you cannot expect a quick fix. Sure, go out and get all the creams and lotions you can find or that your doc will prescribe, they might help the symptoms, but they will not eliminate the cause. I saw in Earthfare the other day some natural remedies...you could try those if you want natural, until you find your cure.

Just so you'll know, there are mild cases of yeast infections that occur around your menstrual cycle that are manageable and usually clear up on their own...and then there is the long term. Reason is that when you are close to the menstrual cycle, your body is working so hard to stay in balance. Women today live stressful lives and do not take care of themselves by resting properly. If you are doing a strenuous Bikram practice, and a career and all the other stuff, sure, you need to slow down and rest. I would venture to say that you are most vulnerable for a yeast and internal imbalance...not good, because if you keep it up, walla, you will have a long term problem or get one started up and therefore, to get totally out of control. If you are doing Bikram several times a week...I would cut way back, rest and then go back to a moderate practice...not a vigorous one.
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-12-02 11:13 AM (#38025 - in reply to #37972)

Thanks Sister Tourist for saying: Neel - thanks for suggesting that! I was going to say it myself but we ARE on the Bikram board and I didn't want to sound like I was Bikram "bashing!" It seems apparent to me that this is a heat related issue, either externally or as Cyndi says, an internal heat and dampness thing. I think it is very reasonable to suggest trying a different form of practice - if you can't stand the heat, get out of the Bikram..... ummm....err.... kitchen

Even for the Bikram lovers or students, it will be good to know it better. So all I am asking is study Bikram only, but by not doing Hot Room for only 3 months.

Neel Kulkarni
Ram
Posted 2005-12-02 2:21 PM (#38032 - in reply to #37972)

Thank you everyone for the information and advice on how to deal with this problem. Two years ago I saw a naturopathic doctor for an allergy testing and was tested for candida at the same time. On a scale of 1-10 I was a 1 meaning I had very little yeast due to my sugar free diet etc. Then I started Bikram's shortly after but have been free of any problems until 8 months ago when I began a new relationship. Well, I'm thinking that after some time of abstinence it may have caused some sort of hormonal shift or imbalance as I tend to get these flare ups at the end of my periods. I don't want to quit yoga as it has done so much good for me but the heat I am afaid my be exacerbating the problem. Perhaps I will look in to some other forms of Yoga for a while until I get this problem under control.....maybe a resting period is all I need as suggested. I do find myself burning out as it takes up all my free time after working 40-50 hours a week it may be too much!!

Thanks again!
Miabella704
Posted 2005-12-02 2:37 PM (#38034 - in reply to #38007)

kulkarnn - 2005-12-01 11:48 PM

Hey Girls:

Why not stop the Hot Yoga, say for 3 months, and perform other (say Dry Yoga) in that period, and then let us know the outcome of your practice.

Looking forward to it.

Neel Kulkarni

Brother Neel: You have a PENIS!!! You are hereby disqualified from participating in discussions about vaginas.
Thanks for the advice and concern but, really, we have this under control.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-02 2:54 PM (#38035 - in reply to #37972)

Don't worry Neel, I'll start a thread about jock itch! We won't invite them to talk about how badly it itches and scabs and bleeds white puss and stuff. Girls like to talk about that, I'm sure. That will show them!

[grumble]Stinking woman only clubs everywhere[/grumble]
Miabella704
Posted 2005-12-02 3:14 PM (#38036 - in reply to #38035)

GreenJello - 2005-12-02 2:54 PM

Don't worry Neel, I'll start a thread about jock itch! We won't invite them to talk about how badly it itches and scabs and bleeds white puss and stuff. Girls like to talk about that, I'm sure. That will show them!

If I were you I'd start using protection. Bleeding white pus???? Lord, boy, what HAVE you gotten into? LOL!!!!

Edited by Miabella704 2005-12-02 3:16 PM
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-02 3:50 PM (#38038 - in reply to #38036)

Miabella704 - 2005-12-02 3:14 PM

GreenJello - 2005-12-02 2:54 PM

If I were you I'd start using protection. Bleeding white pus???? Lord, boy, what HAVE you gotten into? LOL!!!!

Welll.... I thought it was a woman, but boy was I wrong!
Miabella704
Posted 2005-12-02 5:36 PM (#38048 - in reply to #38038)

"Welll.... I thought it was a woman, but boy was I wrong! "

Niiiiice! Have that problem often?

Edited by Miabella704 2005-12-02 5:36 PM
tourist
Posted 2005-12-02 7:18 PM (#38059 - in reply to #38032)

Expert Yogi

free of any problems until 8 months ago when I began a new relationship.

Rita - there is your answer. Guys can carry the yeast around and keep reinfecting you, so it may be helpful to treat him. If there is latex involved (all you singles are careful to be "safe", right?) it could just be a problem of latex irritation.
Miabella704
Posted 2005-12-02 7:20 PM (#38061 - in reply to #37972)

Excellent point, Tourist!! That is also why I say see a GYN. You should be cultured to make sure it really is yeast you're dealing with.
FYI: chlymidia can be silent (especially in men) or can mimic a yeast infection.

Edited by Miabella704 2005-12-02 7:21 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-12-02 9:46 PM (#38069 - in reply to #37972)

Hey Miabella:
How do you know what I have? Don't you know you do not assume anything now a days!!!

Neel Kulkarni
Miabella704
Posted 2005-12-02 10:50 PM (#38085 - in reply to #37972)

I thought about that sister, I mean brother, Neel. Ya just can never be too sure!
Bay Guy
Posted 2005-12-03 11:24 PM (#38153 - in reply to #38034)

Expert Yogi

Miabella704 - 2005-12-02 2:37 PM

kulkarnn - 2005-12-01 11:48 PM

Hey Girls:

Looking forward to it.

Neel Kulkarni

Brother Neel: You have a PENIS!!! You are hereby disqualified from participating in discussions about vaginas.
Thanks for the advice and concern but, really, we have this under control.

What on Earth are you talking about? People with penises are excluded from
discussions of vaginas? Perhaps you attend a girl's school? Have you never
noticed that there is a connection between the two?
Miabella704
Posted 2005-12-04 11:29 AM (#38175 - in reply to #37972)

Penis.......vagina............vagina..........penis..........connection? LOL!
Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-04 12:51 PM (#38185 - in reply to #38175)

Expert Yogi

Maybe there is a slight connection between the two, but they both have totally different functions for the human body system. One does not need the other for its survival either,
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)