YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Knee Pain
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

SuzyQ1963
Posted 2005-12-14 7:34 AM (#38893)
Subject: Knee Pain

Good morning, I am so happy to come across this board. My question is, I have had problems in my yoga practice with pain in my knee, the pain is at the back of the, feels like is might be the tendon or something and then it sometimes travels up to the hip, like the sciatic nerve.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sue.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-12-14 7:45 AM (#38894 - in reply to #38893)
Subject: RE: Knee Pain

Question and Suggestion for Suzy:

Have you already got yourself checked by a surgeon or osteopath? If yes, please tell the results of the check up. If not, please get checked from 3 such persons.

SuzyQ1963
Posted 2005-12-14 8:29 AM (#38897 - in reply to #38893)

No I have not because I don't believe the problem is so severe that I can't deal with it myself through my yoga practice. It is a slight sensation of tightness rather than pain, and I don't believe in doctors if I can avoid them...lol

Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-14 9:31 AM (#38899 - in reply to #38897)

Expert Yogi

Hey Suzi,

Well your talking my language. If you read any posts of mine you will see that I'm a big fan of acunpuncture. Once when I was doing a very intense Bikram practice, behind my knees would get a really sharp pain and up my leg to my butt! I told my Chinese Doctor one day, casually not expecting him to do much Yea right. He turned me over and stuck needles in the area of question, and walla, a week later, no more pain and it never returned.

I too hate doctors because they are very expensive and do not give you results..well, they will operate on you and charge you a bloody fortune which I think is crap. So, I have done the TCM and alternative medicine thing for years with great results and I didn't have to mortgage my house or sell my child to do it. Good luck.

Cyndi
tourist
Posted 2005-12-14 10:54 AM (#38906 - in reply to #38897)

Expert Yogi

Suzy - pain behind the knee is often due to "locking" the knee (here we go again... ) by pushing the back of the knee back in straight legged poses. You need to learn to lift the kneecaps by engaging the quads and moving the very top of the thighs back. If you sit in Dandasana with a strap on your feet and work your legs your normal way, do your heels come off the ground? If so, you are pressing the backs of the knees down and need to work on this. It is HARD! Even for those whose heels stay down (mine, for example ) the tendency is to push back on those poor old knees. Get the quads doing their job and your knees will thank you
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-12-14 11:30 AM (#38910 - in reply to #38893)

OK Suzy. I understand. My suggestion does NOT include doctor who shall give you a medicine to take. I meant only checking out with surgeon and an osteopath. I still suggest the same.

Peppepirat
Posted 2005-12-15 2:35 AM (#38941 - in reply to #38893)

Hi Suzy!

I think Neel has a good point there, it´s always good to have it checked out before the small injury might get bigger. But I don´t think you need to see a doctor or a surgeon, that should be the last alternative.

But you might consider seeing a TCM doctor, osteopath or my favorite choice a chiropractor, someone of your choice that can help you get rid of the pain, if it doesn´t go away by time. A good yoga therapist for instance.

I would personally give the problem if not to serve about 4-6 weeks and if it didn´t get better I would see someone professionally about it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)