YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Asanas and male genitilia
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Men's HealthMessage format

kulkarnn
Posted 2005-12-28 11:00 PM (#39750 - in reply to #39066)
Subject: RE: Asanas and male genitilia

BBB and BG: Well the garment I suggested works for all sizes of anything (!!!). If you want it, just send me 10 dollars a piece and 2 dollars for postage within USA, and I shall send you. I have only 3 at this time, but if you send money right away, I can get you as many as you want by end of March.

You can also wear the garment instead of your underwear below the trousers all the time.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Miabella704
Posted 2005-12-29 9:34 PM (#39819 - in reply to #39066)

sports - 2005-12-16 2:50 PM

I don't see any written instruction on this, understandable perhaps because it is a bit personal/intimate - but us there oral teaching. The issue is that in some of the asanas my testicles and penis simply seem to get in the way, and I have to move them to a comfortable position - which is a bit obvious sometimes. Moreover, especially in, say, side twists do you allow your genitalia to sit squeezed above your thighs (which I feel risks rupturing a testicle, or over stretching the scrotum: Or do you allow them to be beneath the thighs stretching the penile ligaments but again stretching the scrotum/and perhaps is there a risk of an inguinal hernia).

Would be pleased to hear if there is a teaching on what is best, or what your recommended practice is.

I think it's time for you to just cut them off and call it a day. Let us know how this works for you. You should not let ANYTHING get in the way of your practice!!
Miabella704
Posted 2006-01-04 10:47 PM (#40226 - in reply to #39066)

I cannot believe NO ONE has commented on what I suggested. It WAS a joke.......haha?
tourist
Posted 2006-01-04 11:16 PM (#40227 - in reply to #40226)

Expert Yogi

MB - I don't know how nobody has commented either! I somehow missed it so maybe bumping it a bit will get some reaction Or maybe they are all seriously considering your idea
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-04 11:57 PM (#40230 - in reply to #40226)

[more drunk posting, please disregard]

Edited by GreenJello 2006-01-04 11:59 PM
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-01-28 1:03 PM (#42189 - in reply to #40226)

Expert Yogi

Miabella704 - 2006-01-04 10:47 PM

I cannot believe NO ONE has commented on what I suggested. It WAS a joke.......haha?

Okay, here's a comment: ICK!

jpk
Posted 2006-01-28 2:46 PM (#42198 - in reply to #39066)

I was going to raise the same question, but having read through the thread there seems to be no firm advice. So leaving aside all the jokes and innuendo there seem to be two issues.
1) avoiding pain
2) embarrassment from adjusting the "wedding tackle" to deal with 1)

Should we just think to ourselves "I am not my body but I'm still going to look after it" ? And if someone looks at us - that's their problem as they should be concentrating on what they are doing?

John
Kabu
Posted 2006-01-28 2:58 PM (#42199 - in reply to #42198)

Frankly, I don't know how you guys walk around with those things.

I say adjust however you need to. I'm small chested, but if I had bigger breasts, I know I'd have to adjust some things in order to be comfortable in a pose, so why can't you guys? Heck, baseball players do it all the time on national television.
laurajhawk
Posted 2006-01-28 7:38 PM (#42218 - in reply to #39066)

I'm with Lori: adjust as & when you need to. I have never noticed anyone doing this in the classes I attend (I don't sit there watching people, y'know), but it wouldn't bother me if they did.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-01-28 8:10 PM (#42229 - in reply to #42218)

Expert Yogi

One of my all time favorite scenes in a very popular movie back in the 80's was "Tootsie". Remember when Dustin Hoffman - Tootsie, went shopping and bought all those dresses and came out of one of the stores and did an underwear adjustment, right there on the street?? I think that particular moment in time paved the way for "public" adjustments,
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-01-30 10:12 PM (#42419 - in reply to #42229)

Expert Yogi

I think you are right, but Hoffman was imitating something that we had all
seen women do before, no?
Nick
Posted 2006-01-31 10:22 AM (#42467 - in reply to #39066)

The worst posture for me, personally, and I'm sure you all want to know this, is the one that's sometimes called ghomukhasana-cow's pose. It's like the tightest ever cross-legs position that seems to be designed as a sort of 'nutcracker'-excuse the pun . Do you think there's a market for a book of dangerous postures with male yogi's being subjected to these postures-and the look of delight on their faces? I'm sure that some of you female yogis would like to volunteer someone to take part. We could invent a new series of astanga yoga which is designed specifically for this purpose-i think we could probably design a female oriented series as well. For the men, how about trying to come straight from a handstand to salabhasana (locust). That should be good for starters.
Nick
Nick
Posted 2006-01-31 10:27 AM (#42468 - in reply to #39066)

If we had started early enough, we could have developed the sumo wrestler's trick of being able to massage their testicles into the hole through which they descend. Good party trick! Don't try this at home!
Nick
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-07 5:47 PM (#43114 - in reply to #42468)

WHAT?!

*faints*
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-02-07 10:11 PM (#43163 - in reply to #43114)

Expert Yogi

You're lucky you only fainted....I needed a change of clothes and shower....

Edited by Bay Guy 2006-02-07 10:12 PM
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-07 10:30 PM (#43165 - in reply to #43163)

Now every time I see one of those guys (not that I see them often), THIS is what I'm going to think of.
Nick
Posted 2006-02-08 2:28 AM (#43188 - in reply to #43165)

I think sometimes they get stuck, and one of their friends has to help them using a tennis raquet or cricket bat !
Nick
easternsun
Posted 2006-02-08 2:47 AM (#43190 - in reply to #43188)

Nick - 2006-02-09 3:28 PM

I think sometimes they get stuck, and one of their friends has to help them using a tennis raquet or cricket bat !
Nick

I am going to guess you are a pom because you suggested a tennis raquet or cricket bat....now EVERYONE knows that sumo is steeped in SHINTO tradition. They would never use a "foreign"(to Nippon) object, however, they may get one of the lower ranked rikishi to do it for them
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-02-08 7:36 AM (#43201 - in reply to #39066)

I know of martial arts practitioners who can suck their balls in to protect them - I guess they run the risk of having them squished and also hit.

Good thread, never thought of those problems.

I guess some things are true of women and their tits though, if you have large ones I think it could also sometimes be awkward.
Nick
Posted 2006-02-08 9:57 AM (#43212 - in reply to #43190)

easternsun - 2006-02-08 7:47 AM

Nick - 2006-02-09 3:28 PM

Nick

I am going to guess you are a pom because you suggested a tennis raquet or cricket bat....now EVERYONE knows that sumo is steeped in SHINTO tradition. They would never use a "foreign"(to Nippon) object, however, they may get one of the lower ranked rikishi to do it for them

You hit the nail on the head! Sorry for getting the implements regionally incorrect. Probably some kind of huge wooden mallet would be more authentic
Take care
Nick
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-08 10:16 AM (#43220 - in reply to #43201)

DownwardDog -
I know of martial arts practitioners who can suck their balls in to protect them

Well THAT's not good. Front Kick to the Groin is the only move I'm good at!
shnen
Posted 2006-02-16 7:50 AM (#43832 - in reply to #39066)

Please excuse my female intrusion on the male board...

With reading this thread (very humourous at times BTW), I got to thinking that there is a very low male attendance to yoga where I am. I am wondering if it is mostly because with mostly female instructors A) we don't know about these issues guys have and B) we don't know how to help you!

...and this brings me to another question for you male instructors... do you give advice for women? with their menstral cycle, and any poses that mey be uncomfortable having extra up top?
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-16 8:44 AM (#43834 - in reply to #43832)

shnen - 2006-02-16 7:50 AM

With reading this thread (very humourous at times BTW), I got to thinking that there is a very low male attendance to yoga where I am. I am wondering if it is mostly because with mostly female instructors A) we don't know about these issues guys have and B) we don't know how to help you!

If this was the case the beginner classes would start out 50/50 or so, and slowly drop off. The truth is that most men won't give yoga a chance to begin with. It's generally viewed as weak and effeminent. Frankly, a lot of it IS watered down, but I'm lucky enough to have an Ashtanga studio where they don't do these sorts of things.

When I've told my friends what I do, I either get an uncomfortable silence, or questions about whether I'm going there to pick up woman.

I've also mentioned that a couple of the female teachers have inadventently made me feel a little odd for being in class, but that was something with their personalities. About the only thing I would recommend is to not single out the guys to much, I think a lot of us already feel pretty self-concious taking a class where 90% of the students are female. I've always been a bit wierd, so it doesn't bother me as much, but if you get one of these "real" men in classes, it will probably send them running to the hills.

There's also an interesting thread somewhere called "Iron John Yoga", which deals with some of the issues men have with conventional yoga studios/classes.

Edited by GreenJello 2006-02-16 8:49 AM
shnen
Posted 2006-02-16 9:52 AM (#43840 - in reply to #39066)

Thanks Green Jello,
I have one guy in my class, and I don't treat him any differently - but its nice to know what can hurt you guys so I make sure I don't do any hands on that could squeeze the boys...
Nick
Posted 2006-02-16 10:10 AM (#43848 - in reply to #43840)

Hi Shannon,
I teach astanga yoga-the strength reqired to perform the movements may make this type of yoga seem more male-orientated than other forms of yoga, and I try to show women some techniques which can make the movements easier to perform-the good thing about teaching this way that it can make the movements easier for men as well.
We discussed the difficulties of postures like the peacock, where having breasts can make the posture painful or impossible-as discussed already, I often teach Hamsasana, with the elbows on the brim of the pelvis (the pelvis is usually comparitively wider in females). I also try to mention that some practices may induce miscarriage-women with a history of miscarriage are told to sneeze with their mouths open, so that the intra-abdominal pressure is not raised as high-from this we can deduce that yoga postures which put a lot of pressure on the abdomen are probably best left alone in the early stages of pregnancy. This would include any powerful breathing techniques such as bhastrika.
Because the female has a wider pelvis, which has been adapted for pregnancy, the way she moves has also been adapted-I try to bear in mind this evolutionary adaptation in the standing positions. the wider pelvis can also mean that females are more prone to standing with an increased curve in the lower back, and greater strain on the inner knees. I try to correct these tendencies whenever I see them. The list is endless!
Take care
Nick
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)