YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Asanas and male genitilia
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Wellness -> Men's HealthMessage format

Orbilia
Posted 2006-02-16 10:24 AM (#43852 - in reply to #43840)
Subject: RE: Asanas and male genitilia

What makes a guy stay in one class over another? From my own experience it doesn't seem to be as straight forward as how much 'fluffiness' is included :

My Sivananda class is mainly girls and whilst they are still in the majority in my Iyengar class, there are both more men and they also seem to stay with classes longer. My Sivananda tutor is male, the Iyengar a woman. She's more hands on and actively encourages the students to comment on each other when she's using one of us to demonstrate why we're all in disaster-asana. He's more verbal and includes more dynamic routines, breathing, and relaxation/meditation techniques. Both are traditional and work us hard (though she's tougher on us). We do more partner yoga in the Iyengar class.

Admittedly my Iyengar teacher is pretty and girly whilst still being a tough task-master

Nick, I recognise that sway-back thang *quickly pulls in that pesky naval toward my spine*!

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2006-02-16 10:27 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-16 10:44 AM (#43857 - in reply to #43840)

shnen - 2006-02-16 9:52 AM

Thanks Green Jello,
I have one guy in my class, and I don't treat him any differently - but its nice to know what can hurt you guys so I make sure I don't do any hands on that could squeeze the boys...

Sounds like you've got a good handle on things already. It's also partially up to the student to yelp when things hurt, every body is different, so it's going to vary a lot even within the same sex.

I'd also like to say I agree with Nick, the strength demands of Ashtanga really appeals to guys. The fitness guy at the local studio uses a LOT of the pure strength poses, and usually has a higher number of guys in his classes. Obviously there could be other reasons, including a lack of new age stuff, and that he's a male instructor, but I think the strength requiring poses is key. So maybe throw in a navasana, or arm balance or something.

I've tried some of the gentler forms, such as anusara, and they don't challenge me as much, so I don't enjoy those classes as much.
Orbilia
Posted 2006-02-16 11:08 AM (#43866 - in reply to #43857)

I'm not surprised GJ..... I have an Anusara tape (no tutors in this form for 100s of miles here) and it's too fluffy waffly for me!

Fee
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-16 11:23 AM (#43873 - in reply to #43866)

Orbilia - 2006-02-16 11:08 AM

I'm not surprised GJ..... I have an Anusara tape (no tutors in this form for 100s of miles here) and it's too fluffy waffly for me!

Yeah, I think I really po'ed the instructor the other day. Before class she passed out all these cards with some sort of mantra on them. I took one, looked it over and handed it back to her. When she asked why, I said "This doesn't the summon the devil, what's the point?"

In all seriousness, they offer Anusara at the local studio for beginners. I take it occasionally after a Yogalates workout because I like the lady who teaches it. She's got about 15-20 years of yoga instruction, and has helped me a lot of alignment issues. Some of her pre-class lectures bother me for the airy-fairy nonsense, some of them I like.

The first time I took her class I figured I wouldn't be back, mainly for the reasons I mentioned. However, I've found that the yogalates class is enough to wear me out to the point that the anusara is almost challenging.
Nick
Posted 2006-02-16 11:33 AM (#43875 - in reply to #39066)

Hi guys,
Thought I'd change my avatar to something more appropiate for this thread !
Not that size matters, of course
shnen
Posted 2006-02-16 11:48 AM (#43876 - in reply to #39066)

thanks for the info guys... I tend to run a harder program that beginners can make easier and the advanced ones can make harder... so I guess my one guy thinks its a perfect fit.

now... I will bow out gracefully out of the Male forums (Or run screaming..... )
Mitch
Posted 2006-02-16 1:55 PM (#43881 - in reply to #43873)

GreenJello - 2006-02-16 11:23 AM

However, I've found that the yogalates class is enough to wear me out to the point that the Anusara is almost challenging.

GJ,

Have you ever tried to use the anusura class as less of a workout and more of an opportunity to play with the energy in your body?

I've found a certain reward in beginner's classes if I consciously play with breath, really work the bandhas, and awareness.

Try it. You might like it!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-16 2:47 PM (#43887 - in reply to #43881)

Mitch - 2006-02-16 1:55 PM

GreenJello - 2006-02-16 11:23 AM

However, I've found that the yogalates class is enough to wear me out to the point that the Anusara is almost challenging.

GJ,

Have you ever tried to use the anusura class as less of a workout and more of an opportunity to play with the energy in your body?

I've found a certain reward in beginner's classes if I consciously play with breath, really work the bandhas, and awareness.

Try it. You might like it!

Yes, actually that was one thing I really got out of the first class I took. I felt like I could do everything requested, and not lose my meditative mindset. I've started to get that a bit with some of the more advanced classes, but Anusara was the first.

That being said, I spend all day sitting in front of a computer, not moving. When I get off work I really like to move some. At the time I took the first class I had a lot of nervous energy, so the ability to work all that tension and stress out in a yoga class was a god send. Recently I've been a lot more lethagic, so I could probably do the class w/o the pilates class first.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-16 3:12 PM (#43892 - in reply to #43887)

I admit, the beginner Anusara classes can seem really slow. But I'm so freakin' busy trying align every inch of my body, I don't notice the pace.

At our studio, the upper levels are much more challenging, and they obviously move faster. It's not Ashtanga, that's for sure, but it's a lot like Shiva Rea's Vinyasa Flow.

And I agree ~ if someone doesn't dig the airy-fairy stuff, perhaps Anusara isn't the best option.
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-02-26 9:53 PM (#45043 - in reply to #43892)

Expert Yogi

This thread is still sitting here on the top level of the forum....so, I am prompted
ask the following question:

Is it okay for a guy to just go ahead and "adjust" if he needs to during
a class?

I mean, I've seen well known male yogis reach down and move it, in front
of 50 mostly female people, when they felt it necessary to do so. But, you get the
sense from other discussions that women are embarassed by the sight of
men doing that. I say "women" because, ladies, men with other men
don't hesistate ('though I daresay I wish some would not make such a
production of it! ).

Anyway, what's the community viewpoint?

I was in a class recently where we were supposed to belt our legs together
(for backbending, I think it was) and for a guy that can be pretty entrapping.
I really wanted to simply put my hand down my shorts and rearrange, but here
I am bent over backward in a room full of gals and it just didn't seem...appropriate.
But still -- gimme a break, people adjust their bodies all the time when no one is
looking, and in yoga class we see a great deal of each other at a human level.
Where's the line between doing what is normal/necessary and offending those
around you?

Posted 2006-02-26 10:39 PM (#45048 - in reply to #39066)

just reach down there and grab it, man.
its our birthright as males to adjust our junk whenever/whereever we need.
would you rather take like .5 seconds to adjust, or have your items crushed during bow, or eagle, or whatever.
if anyone has a problem...they'll probably just go on doing what they were doing and internalize the issue.
don't make a big production of it, but i figure people will understand. or if you catch someone catching you adjusting yourself, use it to spark up a conversation after class.
"boy, you're lucky your sex organs are on the inside...you wouldn't believe how dangerous it is to be a dangling appendage..."
maybe thats not the best idea...
i see women adjust their breasts all the time.
same difference, right?
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-02-27 9:51 PM (#45171 - in reply to #45048)

Expert Yogi

Well, I don't know about that. I think it's not good to upset the harmony of
a class by making other people uptight.

Then again, Madonna was grabbing her crotch on stage during the time she
was married to Sean Penn. I always thought she picked that up from him.

But still, you're right that if you're in pain you should not ignore it just b/c
someone else is fussy about such things.

Sigh.... what to do..?
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-03-28 9:47 PM (#48107 - in reply to #45171)
Subject: RE: male issues/silly forums!

Expert Yogi

Those folks with their silly posts up in the Bikram forum don't realize that this is a serious topic.

Hmmph!

Orbilia
Posted 2006-03-29 4:45 AM (#48126 - in reply to #48107)

Guys, just adjust - it's very distracting having you roll around in agony ya know! The line is when adjusting becomes fondling, ok?

Fee
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-29 10:01 AM (#48151 - in reply to #48126)

Orbilia - 2006-03-29 4:45 AM

Guys, just adjust - it's very distracting having you roll around in agony ya know! The line is when adjusting becomes fondling, ok?

Hey, it's mine, I'll adjust it as quickly and frequently as I want! Long as I keep my pants on it's completely legal right?

Edited by GreenJello 2006-03-29 10:02 AM
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-03-29 10:39 AM (#48165 - in reply to #39066)

This thread isn't as funny as the other one
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-29 10:57 AM (#48169 - in reply to #48165)

Expert Yogi

I know Fifi, I think smashing penis's is kinda fun don't you???
tourist
Posted 2006-03-29 11:00 AM (#48170 - in reply to #48165)

Expert Yogi

Fifi - we are yoga.com, not yoga.comedy. Smarten up and get serious, girl!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-29 12:08 PM (#48176 - in reply to #48165)

*Fifi* - 2006-03-29 10:39 AM

This thread isn't as funny as the other one

aaahhh.... now I'm not funny.... guess I'll go eat worms.... (shuffles off)
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-03-31 10:26 PM (#48472 - in reply to #48169)

Expert Yogi

Cyndi - 2006-03-29 10:57 AM I know Fifi, I think smashing penis's is kinda fun don't you???

...now you've got the right idea...

bondiguy119
Posted 2007-06-05 1:58 PM (#88532 - in reply to #39066)

I have no problem! It's probably a good idea to wear something supportive when practicing Yoga. Although I know that nude Yoga is popular with some people. Maybe they have the answers!
Good Luck!
Peter
yogabear
Posted 2007-06-06 5:45 AM (#88623 - in reply to #39066)

Regular

I have the same tripod problem with the added issue of being pierced with a 00 gauge ring (yes, down there...) These together make it virtually impossible to wear anything binding like a jockstrap. I wear boxer briefs and regular shorts (sometimes bermuda, sometimes cargo, sometimes swim trunks) & I rarely have a problem till I go into navasana. I think this is because of the added material down there. It is quite comfortable. Then I just reach down and adjust. If you do it quickly enough no one notices. In bow you can always do the drag queen tuck, albeit temporarily (that was a joke, guys).
Orbilia
Posted 2007-06-06 10:07 AM (#88646 - in reply to #88623)

Only just re-read this thread this morning and then found this whilst looking for a new Avatar :

Fee

(Yoga Hazzards.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Yoga Hazzards.jpg (67KB - 168 downloads)
fechter03
Posted 2007-06-06 9:27 PM (#88745 - in reply to #39066)

Extreme Veteran

of course you weren't actually thinking of using that as your avatar were you???
Orbilia
Posted 2007-06-07 6:51 AM (#88780 - in reply to #88745)

Actually, no

Strangely enough, it wasn't until after posting it as a graphic of the hazzards of possessing the larger chest, that I noticed the farting.

I'm sure Freud would have something to say, don't you?

Fee
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)