YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

when to advance?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

Rhoneeder
Posted 2005-12-19 2:36 AM (#39198)
Subject: when to advance?

I'm a beginner to Pilates, I can't afford an instructor right now, so I'm reading all I can get my hands on and I've got a couple of dvds (pilates for dummies and another one). I've only done the workout three times, but most of the moves seem to be getting easier for me, and now that I'm learning them better I'm able to concentrate more on doing them properly, and I SEEM to be having an easier time using my powerhouse. As soon as I'm able though, I'm going to find an instructor to go to once every month or couple of months (I live in a really rural town about two and a half hours from a decent sized city and that's really hard on gas to go there more than once a month).

Anyway, one thing that I've noticed is that none of the books I've read and the dvds don't tell me when to advance from beginner to intermediate. I know it won't be for a while yet, and I ride/train horses, so I know the value of learning something 150% before moving on to something more difficult, and I'm able to be patient, I'm just wondering when to advance?

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-19 11:00 AM (#39213 - in reply to #39198)
Subject: RE: when to advance?

That's a very hard question. Maybe you should try one of the advanced courses, and see how you do. FWIW, I've seldom been told when to advance at the local studio, I just take some of the advanced course when I feel like it, and go back to the basics if it doesn't work out.

Posted 2005-12-19 11:01 AM (#39214 - in reply to #39198)

i think your best bet is to wait until you have met your teacher and gone a few times. s/he will know where your 'blind spots' are and teach you how to work on them. then, give assignments and other elements. you'll notice that you advance over time.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-12-19 11:15 AM (#39217 - in reply to #39198)

First of all, do try to have a teacher look at your technique at some point, that's a great idea. You'll find there are probably some intermediate exercises you are ready for, while others will take much longer for you. Everyone is different.

Meanwhile, I recommend taking a look at the Classical Pilates Technique DVD's. The strength and grace of long-time practitioners is astonishing. And, it provides a somewhat humbling look at what even the most basic exercises should look like when executed perfectly.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)