YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Science Looks at Backs & Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

Orbilia
Posted 2005-12-20 5:26 AM (#39261)
Subject: Science Looks at Backs & Yoga

Interesting read that made me want to say "Tell me something I didn't know!"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4541682.stm

Fee
Top of the page Bottom of the page
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-12-20 10:11 AM (#39273 - in reply to #39261)
Subject: RE: Science Looks at Backs & Yoga

Finally!

You know what's next - the about 5 years AMA (American Medical Assocition) will say they invented yoga, which is why they can recommend it to their patients. And if an MD recommends something then it sways insurance. Example: my mom has 100% paid-for membership at 24-hour Fitness since her MD recommended it. Her insurance pays for it.

I really hope this means more patients will be taking yoga classes.

I hope I can refer patients to yoga instead of physical therapy in the near future, especially patients who've been in car accidents. There's a market out there for yoga-rehab. I'm sure of it.

tourist
Posted 2005-12-20 10:15 AM (#39274 - in reply to #39261)

Expert Yogi

The problem with all of the studies is that they rarely follow up and see what happens to people when they stop going to the classes. As most of us know, it can be very challenging to continue with a program without the support and encouragement of the teacher and the group. So many people stop the exercise as soon as they feel better.

I did like what the piece said about yoga students learning about the "exercises" and that factor being helpful. I have seen a lot of people with (badly) photocopied sheets showing poorly drawn, poorly performed "stretches" given by physios, chiros etc. All they know is to follow the pictures and it will help, without understanding which muscles they are working or why. DH has had back pain since he was 19 and has been given the basic pavanna muktasana (supine, one leg straight, one bent in to the chest) many times by many practitioners. It wasn't until I taught him the pose with alignment and working the down leg as well as the bent knee leg that he began to see how and why it worked and how to get the best benefits from it. Thirty years later is better than never, I suppose...
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-12-20 10:27 AM (#39275 - in reply to #39261)
Subject: RE: Science Looks at Backs & Y

This is one of the imaginative prescription from a Doctor:

Dr. Neel Kulkarni
M.D. (General Medicine), Doctor of Chiropractic, Surgeon (ENT), Fello of Royal Society of Something, Member of Advisory Board to President, Chairman of Medical Association of the entire world.

For: Tourist

Attend 3 Hot Yoga classes a week, 2 Iyengar classes a week, Focus on OM for 3 hours a week, and Read any book on Yoga from Borders Bookstore for 2 hours a week. Continue this for 2 years. But, visit the dispensary each week for checkup.

Cost: Each Check up is 200 dollars. And, Insurance pays 40 percent of it.

tourist
Posted 2005-12-20 10:35 AM (#39277 - in reply to #39275)

Expert Yogi

What? No fasting?

Thanks for the prescription Neel. I feel so much better already!

Posted 2005-12-20 7:47 PM (#39302 - in reply to #39261)

there is a market for yoga rehab, and i'm working in that market. it's a tough sell right now though.

a lot of physical therapists are 'on board' and making the recommendation, but a lot of people won't go into the yoga because of the cost. i try to help them get some of the costs covered b y insurnace under their wellness programs, but other than that, i can't bill the insurance company my self.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-21 12:15 PM (#39361 - in reply to #39275)

Expert Yogi

Neelbhai,

I can't believe it!!! You forgot the "herbal" Chai with Honey too!!! What kind of Doctor are you?????
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-12-21 1:40 PM (#39366 - in reply to #39261)

Herbal Chai, Honey, and Fasting comes in later prescription. They cost 400 dollars a prescritption. And, you get 50 percent covered by Insurance, as against 40 percent otherwise. This way a paties saves a lot, except life!

Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-21 5:51 PM (#39381 - in reply to #39366)

Expert Yogi

You doctors NEVER change..whether you do yoga or NOT,
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-12-21 11:04 PM (#39394 - in reply to #39261)

See. This is how patients die in spite of we doctors doing everything to save them.
Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-22 4:49 PM (#39451 - in reply to #39394)

Expert Yogi

A year before my Mom died she was diagnosed with Bi-Polar disorder. She was at a local mental hospital for a short time. During that time she had this Doctor with the last name Aleem. My Mother did not like him at all!! Anyway, while she was in the hospital, she drew this picture of him with his little flashlite hat on, dressed in a white suit with pens sticking out of the pocket, name tag, Dr. Aleem and his little beard and all. At the bottom of the picture she wrote this, "If you see this Doctor, you better run for your life". I stole it from her when she was in the hospital and I still have it to this very day. It was priceless!

Needless to say, my Mother did try to run for her life...Unfortunately, they eventually did kill her, legally. I call them legalized murderer's.

Edited by Cyndi 2005-12-22 4:51 PM

Posted 2005-12-22 4:57 PM (#39454 - in reply to #39261)

i'm sorry, cyndi.

i completely agree that there are things that happen in the medical system that are not meant to heal and other things that are done knowing that they'll likely end something--and yet nothing that can legally be done unless you show negligence or something like this, and since they followed the rules, you can't.

the saddest thing to me is watching a responsive adult's feeding tube being removed. that starvation death is not pretty. it is so terribly sad.
Orbilia
Posted 2005-12-23 6:21 AM (#39473 - in reply to #39454)

That's what had to happen to my step-grandfather this year. He had a massive stroke, but a couple of weeks later he was still alive. I'm just grateful that the litigators haven't stopped humanity altogether else he'd still be lying there in the twilight between life and death.

Fee
sreedhara
Posted 2006-05-17 10:22 AM (#52900 - in reply to #39454)

Science does what it can. The responsibility for one's health rests with the self. There is no point in blaming the science which has a 'business', agenda. the medical system can heal a person if there is the potential inside the person. Once we realise that potential, we dont need the system at all. WE stay healthy by ourselves. Anyway system or no system pain, death and suffering are unavoidables.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-05-17 10:45 AM (#52903 - in reply to #39261)

Amen, sreedhara!
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-17 10:51 AM (#52904 - in reply to #52900)

sreedhara - 2006-05-17 10:22 AM

Science does what it can. The responsibility for one's health rests with the self. There is no point in blaming the science which has a 'business', agenda. the medical system can heal a person if there is the potential inside the person. Once we realise that potential, we dont need the system at all. WE stay healthy by ourselves. Anyway system or no system pain, death and suffering are unavoidables.

science is cool

without analytical observations and learning, our life expectancy would still be where it is today in certain third world countries.

SCIENCE RULES

PEOPLE are falible

but SCIENCE RULES!

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
and reading is fundamental
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-17 10:54 AM (#52905 - in reply to #39273)

*Fifi* - 2005-12-20 10:11 AM

Finally!

You know what's next - the about 5 years AMA (American Medical Assocition) will say they invented yoga, which is why they can recommend it to their patients. And if an MD recommends something then it sways insurance. Example: my mom has 100% paid-for membership at 24-hour Fitness since her MD recommended it. Her insurance pays for it.

I really hope this means more patients will be taking yoga classes.

I hope I can refer patients to yoga instead of physical therapy in the near future, especially patients who've been in car accidents. There's a market out there for yoga-rehab. I'm sure of it.

following the AMA, i think the standard pattern is there will be a study to refute this one, then in a few years there will be a study to agree with this one

eventually, doctors will just say, "Enjoy your life while you can"

hey, making it into your 80s is pretty good, and a lot of folks that are at least that old that I get to talk to pretty much say the same thing when i ask them about life....

"how much longer do you want me to live, anyway.....?"

old people are cool

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)