YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Endurance
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

*Fifi*
Posted 2005-12-21 2:16 AM (#39336)
Subject: Endurance

I have a question: how come I can run longer and without strain when I run less frequently? When I take a 5 day break from running I feel much better the next time I run. I believe in the "less is more theory" but I am frustrated with myself for not being able to commit to a more frequent schedule. (The same thing goes for Bikram Yoga - my practice is much better when I do it less)

What's going on?!?!?!?!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2005-12-21 3:01 AM (#39338 - in reply to #39336)
Subject: RE: Endurance

i've noticed this myself in bikram yoga. i think that when you give your body a break it allows your muscles to recover, and it allows balance and structural improvement to integrate into your system, thusly strengthening your practice.

doing these things every day will slowly wear you down, perhaps, and it is wise to take a break?
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-12-21 7:59 AM (#39340 - in reply to #39336)

With no doubt, therefore, your other activities are such that you need that much rest, I mean break, between two sessions of Running/Yoga-Exercise. Or, if you want to do more frequent sessions, you cut down other stuff, for example, try to sleep 2 hours more each day. Also, can you please do one more experiment, and let us know the effect, if possible. Try to do the Yoga Exercise without using the heated room for 3 months and tell us the result after that.

tourist
Posted 2005-12-21 10:18 AM (#39350 - in reply to #39340)

Expert Yogi

I don't know much about exercise physiology or theory but I do know about "tapering" which is what marathoners and triathletes do before big races. They gradually cut their training down to a bare minimum and get lots of extra rest in order to do a peak performance on race day.

We often get a big performance surge after a rest - it works the same with running, dancing, playing an instrument. But I'll bet that if you always only ran every 5 days with no other exercise, your running performance would eventually decline. If you went on a 5 day cycle of Bikram, running, wieghts, swimming, biking and kept that up for several months, your performance in running would probably stay stable or even improve slowly. But if you did that cycle then took 5 days off of everything, the next cycle you would probably perform better in each discipline. Well, it's a theory. I know nothing, really
Cyndi
Posted 2005-12-21 9:26 PM (#39384 - in reply to #39336)

Expert Yogi

Hey Fifi,

I think the key word here is REST - period. When I was in Atlanta last week I hardly slept because of the noise and being in a different environment. I felt really wiped out and UN-Rested. It was amazing how one nights sleep made all the difference, back at home in the peaceful countryside. Same goes for my Bikram Yoga practice, when I'm rested, I can perform the asana's. When I'm rested I can also perform at anything I want to do and my mind is much clearer than if I'm not completely rested. I perform what I call Half-A$$ed when UN-rested and if I continue with being unrested, everything I do is not 100%.

I think if we were to be truely honest with ourselves we would discover that we really do NOT get enough rest. Most of us are overworked, overstressed, out of balance, which adds stress to our yoga practice as well. We also have this strange mind concept about push, push, push, it's taught in our childhood to over succeed. When you come to Yoga these are things that I feel are so extremely important to recognize and correct within ourselves in order to truely benefit from yoga. It's also the most important factor of what should be taught in Yoga School that is not, it's kind of a lost art these days.

So, I would say not a thing is going on, kick back, relax and observe - watch and don't judge anything...just be and allow yourself to be on the other side of intensity,
laurajhawk
Posted 2005-12-22 12:31 PM (#39417 - in reply to #39336)

Are you comparing your performance after a 5-day break to your performance when running (or doing Bikram) every day? IMHO the optimum for most forms of exercise is somewhere in between those extremes; how do you perform (and how do you feel!) on an every-other-day or every-third-day schedule?
samantha77
Posted 2005-12-22 7:33 PM (#39464 - in reply to #39336)

Extreme Veteran

When I ran track, my coach always switched up the distances and intensities of our workouts. At times when I had run poorly in a meet, I wanted to run really hard the next week. He would follow me out on my run in his car and ORDER me to ease up if it was an easy day. I think it's just a matter of recuperation. If you run, or run hard every day, your body doesn't have the time to rebuild, and you won't get stronger. If you rest between runs, or do another activity between runs, the muscles you used have the opportunity to get stronger. I've never been in better shape then when I alternate running ang yoga.
Samantha
*Fifi*
Posted 2005-12-23 1:36 AM (#39471 - in reply to #39336)

Thanks, Everyone, for your input. I do try to alternate my workout routines, including yoga, but I just get tucked out. My only salvation is rest (Neel is right about sleep).

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)