YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What else do you do besides...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

samantha77
Posted 2005-12-22 7:40 PM (#39465)
Subject: What else do you do besides...

Extreme Veteran

yoga?

I'm just curious as to how many people on this board do yoga exclusively. For the past week or so I've been doing only yoga, and have let my weight training slide. I'm not sure I want to go back to it. I don't enjoy it. I've tried pilates, but get bored with it quickly. Same with the Lotte Berk Method. I do still run, but won't be doing that too much until it gets warm again Is there anyone who thinks that yoga by itself is a sufficient form of exercise, or anyone who thinks it lacks in certain aspects? My instinct would be to say that it is lacking in the cardio department, but maybe a fast paced power yoga or astanga session? Any opinions on this?
Samantha

Edited by samantha77 2005-12-22 7:40 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-22 8:42 PM (#39469 - in reply to #39465)
Subject: RE: What else do you do beside

I do ashtanga. Since I'm pretty seditary, it's a huge improvement over what I used to do. I've also taken some yogalates classes, which I enjoy, but it's not yoga. I started taking them to help with core work, to step outside my comfort zone, and for a change of pace from yoga.
Miabella704
Posted 2005-12-22 11:41 PM (#39470 - in reply to #39465)
Subject: RE: What else do you do besides...

I strength train, hike, and run. I also play tennis once a week, swim in the warmer months, and kayak whenever I have time. The only things I schedule as "workouts" are weights and yoga, though. Everything else just happens when it happens.
tourist
Posted 2005-12-23 10:39 AM (#39484 - in reply to #39470)

Expert Yogi

I don't do any other "workouts" except yoga and ballroom dancing
kulkarnn
Posted 2005-12-23 11:05 AM (#39494 - in reply to #39465)

Dear Samantha:

If your question is: What I do for fitness other than Yoga?, the answer is: a) Mainly Yoga, b) some walking, c) little bit biking d) medium climbing steps, hills, etc. e) Good amount of rest f) high quality food and water. g) getting rid of unwanted stuff, such as cooking, paperwork, etc.

If your question is : Is Yoga sufficient for the fitness for myself? Answer is : More than sufficient.

If your question is: Can you get more Cardio benefit from NON Yoga Exercise, Answer is: Absolutely. But, I do not want it.

jeansyoga
Posted 2005-12-23 11:43 AM (#39503 - in reply to #39465)

I know a lot of people who JUST do yoga and swear it is all they need.

Personally, I also do Pilates, step aerobics, "toning" classes, walking/running, and soon to begin spinning classes. But, I have to! It's my job!
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-23 11:55 AM (#39507 - in reply to #39465)

Okay, I have to ask, what's a "Spinning" class?
laurajhawk
Posted 2005-12-23 12:27 PM (#39510 - in reply to #39465)

I used to run and do weight training. Once I started power yoga, I got less interested in the weight training, and there is only so much time in the day, so I don't do much weight training anymore. Every few months I do a couple weight workouts and discover that I am a little stronger than before (as measured by weight-lifting ability) so I figure the yoga is working I don't run anymore either -- got shin splints & couldn't get rid of 'em -- so now I walk, with my dogs.
jeansyoga
Posted 2005-12-23 12:27 PM (#39511 - in reply to #39465)

It's a heavy-duty fast-paced cycling class, done on specially designed stationary bikes. I haven't tried it yet, I hear it's an awesome cardio workout! My classes start the 2nd week in January, I'll let ya know how it goes!
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-23 12:33 PM (#39512 - in reply to #39465)

Okay, that sounds like fun. I was imagining something like the old sit in spin from my childhood.
Amethyst
Posted 2005-12-29 2:06 PM (#39801 - in reply to #39465)

I've been training in martial arts for five years. My yoga is only a few months along. I've noticed that one helps the other and vice versa. The martial arts is a lot of self defense training along with other aspects. I enjoy both!
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-29 2:20 PM (#39802 - in reply to #39801)

Amethyst - 2005-12-29 2:06 PM

I've been training in martial arts for five years. My yoga is only a few months along. I've noticed that one helps the other and vice versa. The martial arts is a lot of self defense training along with other aspects. I enjoy both!

Yeah, I used to do Aikido/Hapkido for a while, but my last teacher gave me a bad case of karatitis. (The need to punch and kick, particularly inches away from non-karate people's faces). While I really enjoyed it, it didn't relax me anywhere near as well as yoga does.

I have been thinking about taking some more classes, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Sometimes I get a little bored with yoga, so I'm tempted to go wandering off, but I haven't yet.
Amethyst
Posted 2005-12-29 2:30 PM (#39805 - in reply to #39465)

There's so many different styles of martial arts out there, maybe you can find one to suit your tastes? I know, I enjoy the martial arts because I do need to "let off steam" and punch and kick a target - its helps a great deal after a bad day at work. Plus my classmates are terrific people with good control.

Then going to yoga class to just "empty out" and relax....ahhhh...... I tell ya, if I could do yoga as often as karate, I'd be the walking talking human version of prozac or valium - LOLLL!!
Ravi
Posted 2005-12-30 8:07 AM (#39823 - in reply to #39465)

Om Namah Sivaya,

All I do is my asana practice, but I have recently found that jumping to other traditions to break it up from time to time has helped me more.

Om Shanti,
Ravi
Kabu
Posted 2005-12-30 9:57 AM (#39827 - in reply to #39465)

I run, walk, jump rope, play with Tae Bo DVDs, just started weight training 2 months ago...I do all kinds of stuff to keep it interesting. And I'm a Krav Maga student, which really kicks my butt.

If Yoga has taught me anything, it's balance. I like to engage in many different things and try not to overdo any of them.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-30 10:18 AM (#39834 - in reply to #39805)

Amethyst - 2005-12-29 2:30 PM

There's so many different styles of martial arts out there, maybe you can find one to suit your tastes? I know, I enjoy the martial arts because I do need to "let off steam" and punch and kick a target - its helps a great deal after a bad day at work. Plus my classmates are terrific people with good control.

The karatitis thing is a general malady of bad martial artists, not of any particular style, just like there are some maladys of yogis, though I'm drawing a blank on some ATM. There's a local Aikido studio that I've tried to join twice, but fate keeps intervening. (Maybe a malady of yogis is leaving things up to fate? )
Kabu
Posted 2005-12-30 11:55 AM (#39845 - in reply to #39834)

GreenJello - 2005-12-30 10:18 AM
... just like there are some maladys of yogis, though I'm drawing a blank on some ATM.

I often pull a "Look what I can do!" and then bust out something like Bakasana.
GreenJello
Posted 2005-12-30 1:51 PM (#39858 - in reply to #39845)

Kabu - 2005-12-30 11:55 AM

GreenJello - 2005-12-30 10:18 AM
... just like there are some maladys of yogis, though I'm drawing a blank on some ATM.

I often pull a "Look what I can do!" and then bust out something like Bakasana.

Doh! Yeah, I've been attempting to suppress that with yogi, but it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe this is just human nature, we spend a lot of time on something, and then want to show off!

Posted 2005-12-30 3:30 PM (#39866 - in reply to #39465)

i think i answered this one already around here somewhere. . .

i like to lift weights 1-2 times per week. rock climb 2 x per week. swim when i can. walk daily (about 3 miles or so, sometimes 5).

i'm more of a 'hobbiest' about these things because i don't get to do them as often as i would like, seeing as i'm busy: hiking, bird watching (which i do whenever i can of course, like when i'm driving i like to go "hawk! hawk!" and what not as i see things--even if no one else is with me in the car), canoeing (hey, twice a year ain't bad!), rock climbing out doors (maybe twice a year), more swimming, particularly in open waters (lakes, streams, natural springs, oceans, bays, you get the idea).

yeah, that's pretty much me.

oh yeah, i average about 2 hrs of yoga a day. not always 100% asana.
LadyCelt
Posted 2006-04-15 2:36 PM (#49692 - in reply to #39465)

I do the elliptical at the gym for 35 minutes 4 times a week. I won't this week due to Easter, so I plan on doing yoga on my own that day. I am for 3 miles in cardio each workout or more. This can mean a fourth mile warm up and cool down on the treadmill walking too. I also plan to start swimming on an off day of yoga and ellipticals. My other workout is walking. I don't try to get the closest spot to park at school or the store unless its night time. I see no point in doing that when its a few more feet that can benefit my health too. I may also start swimming on one of the days I do elliptical. On one day, I'm doing the yoga class I joined which I think is Asana plus ellpticals at night.
nuclear_eggset
Posted 2006-04-15 3:02 PM (#49694 - in reply to #39465)

In addition to yoga, I swim and run. All of them do unique things for my body and my body type needs a range of exercises, particulary the low-impact swimming. For social/fun things, I occasionally play tennis and rock climb (my husband likes the latter :-) ).
mishoga
Posted 2006-04-16 10:23 AM (#49760 - in reply to #39465)

Expert Yogi

I practice Yoga (everyday), Yogalates, Pilates, and swim during the summer. I teach a Couple of Hip Hop classes during the week so that's where I get my cardio plus I love it. I love to dance

Mish

Edited by mishoga 2006-04-16 10:32 AM

Posted 2006-04-16 10:45 AM (#49764 - in reply to #39465)

Besides yoga, I do step aerobics withs lots of choreography-I like to dance, step interval with plyometrics and step with weight training. I try to cross train as much as I can. It is fun for me and it does help me in my yoga classes- my stamina. I say, do what is fun for you!
yoga_babe
Posted 2006-05-31 4:12 AM (#54308 - in reply to #39465)

just lift weights 1-4 times per week.. and boxing..
tekki
Posted 2006-05-31 10:06 AM (#54338 - in reply to #39465)

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I got into yoga mostly to help my karate, which I practice as much as possible (3 classes a week plus solo practice when I can squeeze it in) However, as of late, my yoga practice is starting to take a life of its own, becoming something I look forward to doing for its own sake and not just for the cross-training benefits. I still am most passionate about my karate practice, but a yoga class represents a nice change of pace for me on what would otherwise be an "off day."
I also hit the gym for strength training and cardio 2x per week.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)