YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ok to add movements?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

Rhoneeder
Posted 2006-01-08 3:25 AM (#40430)
Subject: ok to add movements?

Tonight I got a really good workout, I was all tense all evening, so I really made sure to stretch things out and use my powerhouse etc... only problem is, it was only half an hour (pilates for dummies beginner) and I felt like it wasn't long enough, like I didn't get a thorough workout; it was actually quite a strange feeling. I don't think I've ever felt like a workout wasn't long enough. Anyway. Out of curiosity I watched the intermediate part and I'm not ready to attempt a lot of the new moves, a few of them caught my interest; I've also got the Pilates Powerhouse book and was flipping through it, there are a few moves that aren't mentioned at all on the dvd that I'd like to try, and on my other dvd there's a few moves I've never seen before.

Is it ok for me to add a few moves at a time to my workout? This whole "not long enough" thing is really weird for me, is it another side effect of doing Pilates? (the even weirder thing is I rode for two hours today, I should be exhausted!)

Another thing, I do fine on the side kick series when I'm doing them with my left leg, but when I'm doing them with my right leg I'm all over the place, will this improve with time and practice and lots of focus?

I *do* have an instructor lined up, we just have to get our schedules lined up so we can have a session.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jeansyoga
Posted 2006-01-08 8:00 AM (#40434 - in reply to #40430)
Subject: RE: ok to add movements?

Rhonda, it sounds like you are really on the right track, and in the right mindset! This is so good to hear!

1) A Pilates workout need not be long to be effective, that is why busy people are often drawn to it. Beginner workouts are usually shorter because you need to develop the proper strength and alignment before adding the more challenging exercises. By the time you reach the advanced level, you will find that the workouts are STILL short because the correct positioning will come to you more naturally and the movements can be done faster.

2) You are very wise to acknowledge that many of the intermediate moves are still beyond your scope. I wish I had a nickel for every student that plowed ahead into exercises they weren't ready for and then quit completely, claiming "Pilates hurts my back." However, the labeling of exercises as "beginner," "intermediate," and "advanced" is somewhat general and everyone's body is different. We're all strong in different ways, so some of the beginner moves may be hard for you while some of the intermediate and advanced moves may be easy. This is why it's good to work with a teacher who can observe your movements and pinpoint your areas of strength and the areas that need more work to grow strong. When you meet with your teacher, he/she will probably add MORE exercises you've never seen, and will incorporate what you're ready for. For now, you could sample a few of the new exercises that intrigue you, but proceed with caution! If anything feels remotely "off," save it until you have the chance to ask your teacher.

3) Sidekicks are ALWAYS easier on one side than the other, for everybody! Nobody is as symmetrical as they appear! The good news is, YES, practice and focus will strengthen your right side. When you are moving your right leg, do not try to make the movement the same as the left leg. Focus on stabilizing your hips and torso, keeping your waistline lifted off the floor, and keeping your hips lined up vertically (especially in the up/down movement). DO NOT worry about range of motion in your leg right now. That will come later, when your powerhouse is stronger and more stable.

For now, I would add a cardio component if you don't feel your Pilates workout is sufficient. Pilates does not blast tons of calories, particularly in the beginning stages. So, you may wish to do your 30 minute Pilates workout and then pop in a Billy Blanks video and sweat your brains out! Or whatever kind of workout appeals to you - jogging, Nia, bellydance, striptease, jumping rope, hula hoop, etc. A lot of us here also advocate yoga! Since it is also a mind/body exercise, you may find yourself progressing a lot faster in that area of your Pilates workout as well!

Good luck, keep us posted on your progress! Sounds like you're doing GREAT!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)