YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga/Yogi=Satan?!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-22 8:56 AM (#53395 - in reply to #53366)
Subject: RE: Yoga/Yogi=Satan?!

Cyndi - 2006-05-21 10:26 PM

God didn't create Satan...Human Beings created Satan!!

I disagree.

Satan exists to tempt your evil inclination and is an angel created by the Almighty God, doing as God wills.

Giving into your evil inclination and projecting a misinterpretation of the scriptures onto civilization will only lead to further misunderstanding

you may consult with your priest now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-22 9:24 AM (#53403 - in reply to #53395)

Expert Yogi

I don't believe in Satan. I do believe Satan was created by the church for "control" measures and to scare people. I grew up in a Baptist church - the people were disgusting the way they behaved. The stories they told children was ridiculous...even today they are still doing it. Anyway, I am Hindu and also by marriage. There is no such thing as Satan as far as I'm concerned. I didn't believe it then, and I certainly don't believe it now.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-22 9:37 AM (#53407 - in reply to #53403)

Cyndi - 2006-05-22 9:24 AM

I don't believe in Satan. I do believe Satan was created by the church for "control" measures and to scare people. I grew up in a Baptist church - the people were disgusting the way they behaved. The stories they told children was ridiculous...even today they are still doing it. Anyway, I am Hindu and also by marriage. There is no such thing as Satan as far as I'm concerned. I didn't believe it then, and I certainly don't believe it now.

many a fundamentalist have collected their spiritual drinking water downstream from the herd

you need to go to the spring if you don't want to get sick

and using fear for spiritual discipline is wrong, i agree with you on that
but no matter what your affiliation is i believe that the true Almighty is

TOO GREAT to be defined by any religion
TOO GREAT to be fully comprehended by any human mind or soul
TOO GREAT to be defined

that's why i don't affiliate myself with any denomination,
but when it comes to reading scripture, i read the original stuff without interpretation, so that I can drink from the spring

not downstream from the herd
GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-22 9:48 AM (#53409 - in reply to #40757)

Fifi- Yes oh great one!

In all seriousness, I've been the Frisco, I spent two long years working for a dot bomb in Redwood city. I expected it to be a lot more open, laid-back, and friendly than the midwest, but I was sadly wrong. Maybe I hit it at the wrong time, or place, or some combination thereof, but I know more cool people here in Cincy than anywhere else. I also get along better with the women around here, though there seems to be a lack of red heads.... Can't have everything I suppose.

And yes, I've been a bit cranky lately, probably frustration as you said.

Cyndi- I saw an interesting feature on TDC on Sci-Fi. Surprisingly enough the show had a very strong Christian bias, since usually sci-fi stuff is anti-christian. Basically they called TDC one of the strongest attacks on Christianity in a long long time. They also spent a lot of time refuting a number of the claims made by Dan Brown, almost to the point of calling him a liar. Interesting stuff, though I've been ignoring the whole thing, since I'm not a Christian, and it seems a bit sensationalistic to me.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-22 10:06 AM (#53414 - in reply to #53409)

Expert Yogi

GJ, I too saw that SCI Fi documentary...it was crazy. When I came out of the theater last night and watched people's faces...they were dumbfounded. Me and Satyam sat and watched everyone leave the theater. I told Satyam that these people in this theater had no clue whatsoever about what they just saw...they didn't understand the movie - period. Hell, they don't even understand what they do have presently, so how can they even go there and think about the contents of that movie...it's too scary for them. It was really sad to see the confusion on their faces..I felt so bad for them in the respect that they are just plain confused about everything and the church created this monster for them. I just pray for their souls to be liberated.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-22 10:44 AM (#53428 - in reply to #53414)

Cyndi - 2006-05-22 10:06 AM

GJ, I too saw that SCI Fi documentary...it was crazy.

How so? It seemed like they concretely refuted a number of Dan Brown's points. A few that stand out for me include:
1) The star under the church
2) The idea that there used to be a female counter part to JHVH
3) The gnostic texts
4) The idea that Jesus's divinity was voted on during the Council of Nicea

When I came out of the theater last night and watched people's faces...they were dumbfounded. Me and Satyam sat and watched everyone leave the theater. I told Satyam that these people in this theater had no clue whatsoever about what they just saw...they didn't understand the movie - period.

Probably not. I haven't seen the movie so it's hard to know if it's because the movie's confusing, or the ideas.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-22 2:45 PM (#53501 - in reply to #53428)

Expert Yogi

Personally GJ, I don't see how they could refute anything that has already been refuted over and over again. In fact, I don't think any of them know what the hell is going on when it comes to Jesus Christs' life...which is the reason I think the entire idea of Christianity and anything associated with it is UNSTABLE and far from the truth!

This was a movie and a very good movie. Whether there is any truth or not, in my mind and what I've witnessed in Christianity and the Church, I'm open to any and all possibilities. That's all I really have to say about it because it would be a waste of energy to try and debate this issue.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-22 3:13 PM (#53513 - in reply to #53501)

Cyndi - 2006-05-22 2:45 PM
which is the reason I think the entire idea of Christianity and anything associated with it is UNSTABLE and far from the truth!

well those christian types do some good charitable work around the world, and that's not bad

so there is some good coming out of it

*Fifi*
Posted 2006-05-22 3:26 PM (#53517 - in reply to #40757)

Who knows, right? None of us were there. That council of Nicea must have been lots of fun. Gag.

I saw the movie last night and read the book in 2004. The book was good because of the art history in reference to da Vinci's paintings.

I bet Jesus and Mary Magdalene were really close friends. Have any of you ever had a really close friend of the opposite sex? I have. Nothing sexual, just a close friendship. I'm also betting that Jesus was an aesthetic (is that the correct word?) like the Buddha. They were not of the material world, they transcended it. Wasn't Jesus homeless? Well, He was a carpenter, so maybe He built himself a home.

It is all very interesting, indeed. Look at how many people are hungry for spirituality - they are very interested and, I think, investigating whether the Church pulled a fast one on them.

I worked for Catholic Charities in SF for a while and they donate 90% of their donations to the community. They spend only 10% on overhead! I thought that was amazing. The bad Christians always steal the spotlight. In the end, whatever religion we practice, God doesn't forget us. He will always be there in our time of need.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-22 3:33 PM (#53519 - in reply to #53517)

*Fifi* - 2006-05-22 3:26 PM
I worked for Catholic Charities in SF for a while and they donate 90% of their donations to the community. They spend only 10% on overhead! I thought that was amazing.

Right on

and this is really where the rubber hits the road

Rhetoric is crap, money and actions are real

SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-22 3:39 PM (#53521 - in reply to #40757)

my boss likes to ask

"Who is taking care of the hungry, the sick, the poor?"

more often than not it is the catholic charities carrying the burden that so many of us like to pretend aren't there.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 5 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)