YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga/Yogi=Satan?!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

*Fifi*
Posted 2006-05-12 9:14 AM (#52270 - in reply to #40757)
Subject: RE: Yoga/Yogi=Satan?!

Green Jello, I like that picture. What exactly is the Illuminati? I only hear about them from Art Bell on Coast-to-Coast (but he also says he's seen outer-space aliens, so I take what he says with a healthy dose of salt)

I think there are lots of good things about the Catholic church that are buried by some their unwholesome practices.

The people on top always want to protect their assets.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-12 9:57 AM (#52284 - in reply to #40757)

now,

what this thread really needs is an advocate, like ZB to flesh out the real debate
GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-12 10:03 AM (#52287 - in reply to #52261)

kulkarnn - 2006-05-12 8:26 AM

My opinon:

1. It is NOT good for anyone to doubt whether Jesus actually existed. Because, either a) He did really exist. b) or, at least he exists through the books c) or he does exist through stories.

All the three forms of existence would not create any problem. As long as we know what he did, what he said, what he stands for. It will not make any difference to me whether I heard of a flower called XXX which I have not seen, and it exists in Nepal, even in story form. As long as I know that the flower was blue, smelt good, etc. etc. I can relate to the flower.

The problem with Jesus's existence rests on whether or not he was a living, breathing example of what's possible. If he was a REAL person, then his admonisments that he was the living example mean that it's possible for all of us to achieve that same level of perfect.

If it's just a nice story, then it may or may not be possible for us to achieve what he supposedly did. In this case, then we could easily take our examples from the pages of DC comics, and attempt to live like Superman.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-12 10:08 AM (#52289 - in reply to #52287)

GreenJello - 2006-05-12 10:03 AM

kulkarnn - 2006-05-12 8:26 AM

My opinon:

1. It is NOT good for anyone to doubt whether Jesus actually existed. Because, either a) He did really exist. b) or, at least he exists through the books c) or he does exist through stories.

All the three forms of existence would not create any problem. As long as we know what he did, what he said, what he stands for. It will not make any difference to me whether I heard of a flower called XXX which I have not seen, and it exists in Nepal, even in story form. As long as I know that the flower was blue, smelt good, etc. etc. I can relate to the flower.

The problem with Jesus's existence rests on whether or not he was a living, breathing example of what's possible. If he was a REAL person, then his admonisments that he was the living example mean that it's possible for all of us to achieve that same level of perfect.

If it's just a nice story, then it may or may not be possible for us to achieve what he supposedly did. In this case, then we could easily take our examples from the pages of DC comics, and attempt to live like Superman.

WOW, Superman does exist in the stories, that is a good point
i'm not afraid to consider that the stories of Jesus are just that, stories
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-12 10:12 PM (#52349 - in reply to #40757)

GJ: The problem with Jesus's existence rests on whether or not he was a living, breathing example of what's possible. If he was a REAL person, then his admonisments that he was the living example mean that it's possible for all of us to achieve that same level of perfect.

===> Of course, it is possible to achieve the same level of perfect if one goes in that direction and persists in the try. That is what Jesus preached. He said that if you surrender unto me, and then practice what I preach (love thy neighbour as you love yourself, NOT love thy American Indians as they were loved, NOT love African friends as they were loved, AND love thy Egyptian friends and eradicate their pagans, NOT love the world around and brring their arts and crafts to be displayed in the museums of Britain) (do NOT hoard money, NOT build riches in the Rome and burn others and torchure great scientists such as Galilio Galili). He wanted others to achieve the same perfect and that is what he preached. He did NOT preach that you do whatever **** you want and I shall go to the cross to save you.

Peace.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-12 11:34 PM (#52353 - in reply to #52349)

kulkarnn - 2006-05-12 10:12 PM

GJ: The problem with Jesus's existence rests on whether or not he was a living, breathing example of what's possible. If he was a REAL person, then his admonisments that he was the living example mean that it's possible for all of us to achieve that same level of perfect.

===> Of course, it is possible to achieve the same level of perfect if one goes in that direction and persists in the try.

You and I might agree on this point, but I don't think this is how most Christians are taught. Instead there's a strong emphasis on the worship of Jesus, which means that he has to be more than just a story.

He did NOT preach that you do whatever **** you want and I shall go to the cross to save you.

Frankly, I find this part of the bible confusing. There appear to be a number of slightly different approaches depending on which books you read. Some say you have to work at it all the time, others just that you have to accept Jesus in your heart (which could happen anytime). This confusion of paths is part of the reason I don't care for Christianity.

Edited by GreenJello 2006-05-12 11:38 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-13 6:59 AM (#52366 - in reply to #40757)

GJ:You and I might agree on this point, but I don't think this is how most Christians are taught. Instead there's a strong emphasis on the worship of Jesus, which means that he has to be more than just a story.
===> As long as you and me agree we are in the game (of Bulletin Board or Yoga Practice!). Yes, worship of any thing higher is good. When one worships president of a rich country, you get financial benefits from that cournty. That time we do not think how that president is, except that the president is that of a Rich County. Same way, as long as you get Spiritual Benefit from Jesus, we do not care whether he was a Jew/Christian/Hindu, or whether he was a story or real or God or Son of God, or daughter of God, married or unmarried. We only see that whatever we know him to be has divine qualities. And, then we worship him for those divine qualities.

He did NOT preach that you do whatever **** you want and I shall go to the cross to save you. --->
Frankly, I find this part of the bible confusing. There appear to be a number of slightly different approaches depending on which books you read. Some say you have to work at it all the time, others just that you have to accept Jesus in your heart (which could happen anytime). This confusion of paths is part of the reason I don't care for Christianity.

===> And that is why many do not care for it either. And, when others do not care for it, certain chosen people get angry and burn them. Otherwise, their pockets will be empty! However Jesus does not belong to them. He belongs to all Spiritual seekers. And, he was NOT the first one. In fact, he was one of the recent ones. And, Spirituality is NOT recent. It is age old. Whether someone likes it or not, recorded events of spirituality go to Vedas in India. (I am not saying this because I am not Indian. And, I did not quote Galilio because I am an Italian and drink olive oil! I drink tea.)

Peace.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-13 10:49 AM (#52386 - in reply to #52270)

*Fifi* - 2006-05-12 9:14 AM

Green Jello, I like that picture. What exactly is the Illuminati? I only hear about them from Art Bell on Coast-to-Coast (but he also says he's seen outer-space aliens, so I take what he says with a healthy dose of salt)

Completely missed this comment for some reason. Frankly, I really don't know what the Illuminati is. For most people it's a bit of a joke, particular in the gaming circles I run with. (Which is how I was using it) The myth is that they're some sort of international conspiracy to control the world. The latest theories cast Bush Sr and Jr. as members because they were both members of a fraternity at Harvard (Yale maybe?) called the Skull and Bones. It's a real organization, more like a tie into the ole boys network than anything. Supposedly the Illuminati operate through the Skull and Bones and they're working on a New World Order (NWO). (Which is a phrase Bush Sr. used to use a LOT)

Frankly, I think it's all crap, because if there really were a huge conspiracy it would be just about impossible to really keep it under wraps. The more people there are in your organization, the more likely it is that somebody will get pissed off, and spill the beans. So they're just not stable.

I DO believe that Bush Sr. and Jr. are probably part of the ole boys club, so some of the stuff about the Skull and Bones is true, it's just business as usual. The American Nobility has to stick together to keep the peasants in line.

There's also some anti-semitic stuff as well supposedly related the illumanti, and the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. The protocols supposedly date back to like 17th century or something. This relates back to the supposed plans for world wide control, all supposedly headed up by a bunch of Jewish Kabbalists..... The Protocols have been shown to be forgeries, with the intent to stir up hatered against the Jews.

Then there are the supposed ties to the Rosencrusians, Kabbalists, Occultists, Free Masons etc. For the most part this may or may not be true, but I feel like I've fallen down a rabbit hole at that point. If there really were a global conspiracy to control everything, how would things be different? What would it matter to you and me? The people in charge have been the people in charge for a long long long time, ie the old money families, little changes in that regard.

So I'm just going to keep doing my yoga and winking at the pretty girls.....

Edited by GreenJello 2006-05-13 10:53 AM
GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-13 10:52 AM (#52387 - in reply to #40757)

Neel: You and I are in agreement, I was just attempting to explain what I believe is the Christian view point on why it's important that Jesus be viewed as a real person. There are also some ties for this in the Bible, so that if he is nolonger a real person, some part of it also become invalid. In particular the parts where he claims to be the living example would nolonger be valid if he's a fictional character. Fictional characters can be anything, and claim anything they like.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-05-13 11:09 AM (#52393 - in reply to #40757)

Internet gaming is a billion dollar industry - online poker, sports betting...is that what you're referring to? Just being nosey.

I don't believe in conspiracy. If there was a plan to conspire against the world, oh well, what are you going to do? Frankly, conspiracists are always pretty nutty if you ask me. They never seem to shower, either. But that's another issue.

I do remember the Skull and Bones thingy being brought up during the last election. John Kerry was also a member. The circle gets smaller and smaller and our choices less and less. But that's life. For me, I need something bigger to believe in, so I choose God. It's such a relief to me. It's so easy to go through life only thinking of benefitting yourself but there are intangible rewards for sacrifice and giving of yourself. For me this life is only a test. What's the worst that could happen? We die and we go into a different plane of existence. What's so bad about that? It's worse to live a tortured life.

Enjoy the weekend!

GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-13 11:50 AM (#52403 - in reply to #52393)

*Fifi* - 2006-05-13 11:09 AM

Internet gaming is a billion dollar industry - online poker, sports betting...is that what you're referring to? Just being nosey.

Board games, computer games, multi-player online games, roleplaying games, that sort of thing. There's a whole subculture of people who are into these sorts of geeky things. It's not very "cool" but playing games is a wonderful way to figure out what works, and what doesn't. You get to see different systems in play, and see people's reactions. It's also a good way to socialize .

I personally don't like gambling, though I'm coming around a bit. Last time I played poker was a revelation of sorts. After all, everything's a gamble to some extent. Playing poker is a good way to learn to deal with it on lesser stakes than say your career or marriage. Also reminds me of dating...
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-13 12:37 PM (#52416 - in reply to #52366)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2006-05-13 6:59 AM

And, Spirituality is NOT recent. It is age old. Whether someone likes it or not, recorded events of spirituality go to Vedas in India. (I am not saying this because I am not Indian. And, I did not quote Galilio because I am an Italian and drink olive oil! I drink tea.)

Peace.

Amen, NB!!

Now, I have a question?? You said above that you weren't saying this because I am not Indian and you did quote Galilio because you are Italian??? So, like what are you....I could of sworn you were Indian, not Italian. What's wrong with this picture?? Neelbhai wants to switch to being an Italian...I know why...someone got him hooked on Pizza, that's it!
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-13 12:45 PM (#52422 - in reply to #40757)

hearken back to the ages before the stories told were formed

when, before the last ice age

before the temples to the sun

when did it occur to conciousness to pursue spirituality, as opposed to say....feed the need?
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-05-13 4:33 PM (#52459 - in reply to #40757)

I don't gamble because it's very boring to me. Not to mention, Vegas wasn't build on winners.

It's really hot here, like 400 degrees
GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-13 5:01 PM (#52467 - in reply to #52459)

*Fifi* - 2006-05-13 4:33 PM
I don't gamble because it's very boring to me. Not to mention, Vegas wasn't build on winners.

I find craps, slots, and roulete to be very boring. Poker is a completely different animal. In my case we were playing Texas Hold'em, and there was no house. Texas Hold 'em has about the least amount of random luck involved of all forms of poker because everybody makes a hand out of the cards in the center and two "hole" cards.

Essentially the game comes down to knowing the rules/odds, reading people, and knowing when to gamble. For my first game, I had never played against other people, and I didn't know any of the other players other than the friend of mine who invited me over. In the first round, I managed to spot one guy's tell almost immediately and won a large pot as a result. That round however, I didn't really know much about the game, and ended up being the third person (of 7) eliminated. The second round I had a much better feel for the game, and I managed to come in 2nd, winning $40, making the evening a net draw. (Which I was fine with, I completely expected to lose the $40 I ponyed up, and was paying for the experience.)

Couple of things stood out for me, was the idea that you ALWAY had to put money into the pot. This makes it impossible to continually fold until you get a better hand. You could look at this as analogous to the way time in life is always ticking away.

Then there's the hands, how comfortable do you feel with the cards you've been dealt. In this case the cards could be compared to your position in life, ie how good looking you are, how much money you make, etc. Since this is Texas Hold 'em a lot of the cards are showing, but some are not. This is comparable to how you look, and other obvious things, and the things you're not showing, such as personal problems, or virtues.

Then there's the play. You're forced to go into a situation with an imperfect knowledge, and make the best play there is. This is very comparable to life, were you just can't know everything, and you've forced by the hands of time to make a decision.

At any point you can decide that you've had enough, and fold, but the longer you stay in, the more you have invested in the game. This is comparable to the way most people start with a little time and energy invested in the relationship, so they're more likely to walk away for something minor.

Folding early on is like deciding that the other person is unsuitable in some way, the way that most people do with 99% of the people we see everyday. When you're walking around in real life, you're running into people constantly. Some are too old, some too young, some unattractive, some already in relationships, etc. This is all stuff you can do just by looking at them.

Once they've passed this initial barrier it's on to the next one. Maybe you stop and chat for a minute or two, and find out that they've got bad breath, a nasty slur, or swear constantly. This is comparable to the constant raise of stakes as more of the common cards are revealed. Maybe you ask them to dinner, or some other form of official date.

All this requires an investment of time and energy. As the stakes elevate some people stay in longer than they should due to all the money they've already put into the game. They're chasing good money with bad, because they've already lost. This is akin to people staying in a relationship were there's been a major betrayal of trust, like the other partner cheating, and continuing to stay with that person.

Then, there's a moment of truth, the call. This is the part where you find out if the cards you've got are enough to take the pot or not. In a lot of life people bluff. They put up fronts, and pretend to be more than they are, or less than they are. The call is a lot like marriage. Once you're married all the fronts come down, and you're pretty much left with the real person.

In one case I was absolutely certain that I didn't have the cards for the hand, and I was about to lose. Turns out I was dead wrong. This is kinda like the mis-matched partnerships you sometimes see, where the man or woman is obviously not the other's equal. In these cases, the cards fell a little different than maybe they should, or there's something that you don't know about the situation. There's also a certain amount of subjectivity to most things. Am I really beautiful or handsome. Do I really make enough for this person? Do I have the right personality to get along with them, or are they only looking for a quick lay, or somebody to take care of the kids.

Finally, there's the pot were everybody folds. This is very much akin to those little things that happen in life where you never hear the end of it. This is that girl you talked to for a couple of minutes once, and almost asked out, but something got in the way. This is the girl who seemed really into you, but stopped taking your phone calls for some reason.

Couple of other dynamics. First, you must play to stay in the game. Otherwise you WILL lose, the pot will take your stake, and leave you with nothing. This is akin to the spinsters you see out there with nobody. I personally have a good chance of falling into that trap since I'm so cautious. Everything in life involves some level of risk, but most people don't realize this, so the house eats their pot. Playing poker forces me to take chances, and to become accustomed to taking risks.

Second, you don't have to play every hand that comes up, even the potentially good ones. The guy who came in second in the first round spent almost the entire game folding. He had a couple of really good hands, and was able to stay on until the very end as a result. This is akin to the way I've been playing the dating game. I've been letting most things go past, but as a result I don't have any baggage, which places me in a better spot than somebody who lost their stake in a bad relationship. Friend of mine got married to the wrong girl, and as a result now has a kid, and a life-long attachment to a very miserable person. I don't have his experience, but I also don't have his enormous drawback either.

Sorry for the book, sometimes I just gotta say something.

Edited by GreenJello 2006-05-13 5:21 PM
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-13 5:29 PM (#52476 - in reply to #40757)

dive in head first
don't look back
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-05-14 10:30 AM (#52522 - in reply to #40757)

Actually, I can see how a friendly poker game could be fun. I'd only want to play with my friends and not at a casino. Icky feng shui at casinos (except for steve wynn's casinos. He has them professionally feng shui'd) And play for nickels and dimes. No big stakes.

Well, there's baggage and then there's drama with lots of loose ends.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-14 3:13 PM (#52548 - in reply to #52522)

Steve, people who don't look before they leap often go over cliffs..... The interesting thing about poker is that it's a calculated risk, like much in life. Just jumping in is like playing the slots, or craps. You might win big, you might lose your shirt.

*Fifi* - 2006-05-14 10:30 AM

Actually, I can see how a friendly poker game could be fun. I'd only want to play with my friends and not at a casino. Icky feng shui at casinos (except for steve wynn's casinos. He has them professionally feng shui'd) And play for nickels and dimes. No big stakes.

I personally avoid casinos because I don't care for the people they attract. We have some riverboat gambling here in Cincinnat, and a friend of mine decided it would be a good idea for his bachelor party. So we all headed down there for a couple of hours. I have never seen such a diverse crowd of losers in all my life. The absolute lowest of the low. The place absolutely reaked of negativity, all except for two drop dead gorgeous girls I saw wondering around, who had to be prostitues... Ugh!

I was the only person (out of 7 of us) who managed to win any money. Early on I put a couple of bucks into one of the slot machines (there wasn't anything else to do), and managed to get an $80 payout. I stopped playing immediately. Casinos really hate guys like me.

Anyway, the other point I was making was the ability to cheaply learn some life lessons by playing games.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-14 3:35 PM (#52551 - in reply to #40757)

life is the BIGGEST gamble
it is not a game

bet big, you may only live once

you have the ability to look back, but you can't do it again

You'll never touch the same cards twice

leap
head first

in the end
you die
just like everybody else
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-05-14 4:00 PM (#52555 - in reply to #40757)

Steve, you're such a positive person and that's good!

GJ - I hardly ever go down to The Strip because it's a pain in the butt to drive and park but when I do I always have fun just walking around, checking things out. My beau hates going to the Strip since he's got a 24/7 job and he can't relax when he's out and about. Plus, all the bad people end up in Las Vegas, like the 9/11 terrorists and the future terrorists that want to blow us up (Sean is on the FBI terrorist duty).

Actually, ever since Steve Wynn feng shui'd a couple of casinos, it's more enjoyable (less smokey, more light). There are normal people. In fact, the hos are discreetely escorted off the property. There are plently of "gentlemen's club" for that!

f
GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-14 4:29 PM (#52558 - in reply to #52555)

*Fifi* - 2006-05-14 4:00 PM
Plus, all the bad people end up in Las Vegas, like the 9/11 terrorists and the future terrorists that want to blow us up (Sean is on the FBI terrorist duty).

I've been reading that the most searched for word in the Muslim world is "sex". Guess all the future terrorists want to look at a flesh and blood girl before meeting their harem in the next life.

Edited by GreenJello 2006-05-14 4:30 PM
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-14 4:38 PM (#52559 - in reply to #52555)

Steve, you're such a positive person and that's good!

GJ - I hardly ever go down to The Strip because it's a pain in the butt to drive and park but when I do I always have fun just walking around, checking things out. My beau hates going to the Strip since he's got a 24/7 job and he can't relax when he's out and about. Plus, all the bad people end up in Las Vegas, like the 9/11 terrorists and the future terrorists that want to blow us up (Sean is on the FBI terrorist duty).

Actually, ever since Steve Wynn feng shui'd a couple of casinos, it's more enjoyable (less smokey, more light). There are normal people. In fact, the hos are discreetely escorted off the property. There are plently of "gentlemen's club" for that!

f

Holy Crap, you guys are actually talking about really playing cards and craps?!?!?!!!!???
dang....haven't done that since i left the streets.

GEEEEE whiz, I feel like a moron.

I've never been to Las Vegas, but my folks own a time share there and say I should go with the wife some time in the future.

I've never really had the lust for travel, or gambling--other than the big gamble

Edited by SCThornley 2006-05-14 4:40 PM
shnen
Posted 2006-05-16 8:00 AM (#52720 - in reply to #52558)

GreenJello - 2006-05-14 4:29 PM

Plus, all the bad people end up in Las Vegas, like the 9/11 terrorists and the future terrorists that want to blow us up (Sean is on the FBI terrorist duty).

I've been reading that the most searched for word in the Muslim world is "sex". Guess all the future terrorists want to look at a flesh and blood girl before meeting their harem in the next life.

Do you realize that you turn almost every post into a discussion on sex... my gods man - get a girlfriend already! ;)
GreenJello
Posted 2006-05-16 10:12 AM (#52740 - in reply to #52720)

shnen - 2006-05-16 8:00 AM
Do you realize that you turn almost every post into a discussion on sex... my gods man - get a girlfriend already! ;)

But I'm having too much fun obsessing!
Cyndi
Posted 2006-05-16 11:44 AM (#52772 - in reply to #52720)

Expert Yogi

shnen - 2006-05-16 8:00 AM

Really GJ, get a girlfriend already!!! Like haven't you found one on myspace yet??

I was in this store the other day and one of the porno magazines was hanging out. The words said, "The girls of myspace". I've seen some really interesting things over there GJ, now's a good chance with it being so popular and all,

BTW, I'm happily married, so this myspace girl is taken,
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)