YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Work around an injury!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

Peppepirat
Posted 2006-01-12 1:41 PM (#40828)
Subject: Work around an injury!

Hi!

I have problems with one of my feet, and I cannot really put much weight on it, because the arch of my right foot has collapsed. (I have seen a doctor for it)

I want to continue with Yoga during the time it will take for the foot to get better, so I wonder if anyone has a good regimen/asana series with sitting and lying asanas that doesn´t put so much stress on the arch of the foot?

I used to do asana series involving The sun salutation, trikonasana, parivritta trikonoasana and so on, lots of standing asanas.
Now I cannot do that regimen, so I need a new one to practice, any suggestions?

My skill level is beginner, I have only practised Yoga for 6 months.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-12 2:24 PM (#40838 - in reply to #40828)
Subject: RE: Work around an injury!

Most of the ashtanga primary series is all floor based asanas. You could probably do most of that w/o any problems.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-01-12 4:02 PM (#40855 - in reply to #40828)

Practice all whatever you know Minus all that needs arch of the foot. If all what you know needs arch of the foot, seek another instruction, preferably in of private nature.

Peace
willoweyes
Posted 2006-04-24 1:42 PM (#50409 - in reply to #40828)

Did you find some good moves? I need to find some simple things to strengthen my right calf and foot. I was in an automobile accident and almost lost the right leg. Persistance paid off and now I can walk again! I've been doing mat Pilates since October 2005---I want to work on becoming more limber. Any ideas?
Nick
Posted 2006-04-29 2:52 AM (#50721 - in reply to #50409)

willoweyes - 2006-04-24 6:42 PM

Did you find some good moves? I need to find some simple things to strengthen my right calf and foot. I was in an automobile accident and almost lost the right leg. Persistance paid off and now I can walk again! I've been doing mat Pilates since October 2005---I want to work on becoming more limber. Any ideas?

Hi Willoweyes,
A lucky escape!bet you get flashbacks! You pose a difficult question, but I would imagine your physio would recommend weight-bearing exercise, as long as it doesn't hurt-can you do standing postures, sun salutes?
Nick
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-01 1:45 PM (#50895 - in reply to #50409)

willoweyes - 2006-04-24 1:42 PM

In 1981 I was hit by a car and nearly bled to death, and almost lost my right foot, some doctors wanted to amputate, but I still have my right leg.

Healing takes years, and my leg is still not the same, never will be, some things change you forever.

The doctor who put me back together also did my physical therapy. It came down to circles.

I broke my right leg and my left arm in 1984, circles for healing....again

I broke my collar bone in 1992, circles

I broke all these bones riding a bike, I don't own a bike any longer...DUH!

Smooth movements that are circular to preserve range of motion are great healers.

Yoga, Tai Chi, just about any body weight exercise are fabulous ways to heal

Good Luck.

I've blown out my knee, and pulled hamstrings and the list goes on and on, but just as long as you can go through the motions of some sort of exercise or body weight exercise....you will get some rehabilative benefit, and preserving range of motion is primary once the swelling has gone down.

Don't hurt yourself, give yourself time to heal.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)