YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Halasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

Graham
Posted 2006-01-13 12:53 PM (#40907)
Subject: Halasana

Hi,
I've been practicing yoga for nearly five years and find that I can get into most of the asanas quite well (for a fifty three year old that is)with one exception.
It doesn't matter how much I try to do Halasana the Plough I just can't touch the floor with my feet. As well as the choking feeling which I know you're supposed to get,I feel really uncomfortable,and cringe when my teacher says we're to do it.
Does anyone have any suggestions to maybe help me to improve in some way?

Namaste.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
laurajhawk
Posted 2006-01-13 1:16 PM (#40908 - in reply to #40907)
Subject: RE: Halasana

I'm not an expert or a teacher, but wow, choking and cringing are just not conducive to yogic progress IMHO. I would suggest doing the pose with a prop (even though I'm not a big "prop person"): rest your feet on a chair (at home) or on a block or stack of blocks (in class); use whatever it takes so that the pose *is* comfortable. If you can find a modification that works for you, then (a) you will receive benefits of the pose and (b) you may be able to gradually reduce/remove the modifications.

Of course, if you have not spoken with your teacher about this pose, then please do so ... both to get his/her suggestions and to help him/her understand your restrictions or modifications in this pose. Maybe your teacher can watch you in the pose & help you figure out what is going on.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-13 2:13 PM (#40913 - in reply to #40907)

I used to have some problems with the constriction in the throat that this pose causes, but this eased with practice.

Posted 2006-01-13 4:31 PM (#40929 - in reply to #40913)

I'm 53 as well Graham and have similar a experience with sasangasana--POW training time spent in a little hot box in forced rabbitt has me avoiding that choking sensation on purpose during practice. It's my lack of desire to practice it--not worth it to me. Perhaps that sensation has put you off in plow.
Ravi
Posted 2006-01-13 5:20 PM (#40936 - in reply to #40907)

Om Namah Sivaya
Graham,

First problem to your situation is that you have not surrendered to the pose.....you're already defeated before even entering into Halasana because of your state of mind. The mind is a very powerful thing and if something makes it cringe, the mind makes it **** near impossible to do it.
For instance, I always let my students relax in child's pose and imagine themselves going into Sirsasana before ever attempting it, that is the first road block.
Secondly don't worry about getting your feet to the floor just go as far as to you are comfortable, your feet will come down as your back opens up more. Forcing the posture will induce the choking effect and bring about that uncomfortable feeling.
Yoga is a philosophy that enables one to gain acceptance not only of his or her strengths but also of his or her not so strong points.
But from what I have read from your post you have been practicing for some time now, so you may already understand what I mean.

May I suggest possibly bending your knees while in the posture in order to bring a greater stretch to your back...( as long as it is comfortable) That worked for me when I had the exact same problem that you mentioned.

Simply put don't give up and be positive........

Om Shanti,
Ravi
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-01-13 6:01 PM (#40940 - in reply to #40907)

Suggestion to your problem:

Only one: Take a private class from an experienced teacher and only for learning Halasana. The class can be 30 min duration, or 60 min, whatever you can afford. Or, may be 2 classes of 30 min each.

Posted 2006-01-13 7:02 PM (#40952 - in reply to #40940)

Do you do that type of class Brother Neel? That is, working on a particular asana?
tourist
Posted 2006-01-13 8:09 PM (#40969 - in reply to #40907)

Expert Yogi

Hi Graham - don't worry about age. One of the beauties of yoga is that you keep improving for a long time, as you have probably already found So first question is - do you use blankets or do you do your halasana on the floor? Many of us do not have the neck flexibility to do halasana without some support under the shoulders. This could make all the difference. Another reason people feel choked is that they don't get enough lift in the torso. You have to get your elbows in line with your body (this is why we use a strap in Iyengar classes) and get your hands well down your back toward your shoulderblades and LIFT. Then the legs have to do their work. Do use a chair or put your feet on the wall if your hamstrings are tight, and lift the thighs up to the ceiling. I fyou let your legs flop and be heavy, you will get that awful feeling in the throat As Neel says, a good teacher would be able to either fix this or at least get you working in the right direction with a little concentrated work. The other option is that you can send us a photo or two of you in the pose and we could try to help. No kidding, we have done this once and it was pretty successful, right GJ? Several of us are teachers and others are experienced practitioners so we have a decent idea of what we are talking about
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-01-14 12:18 AM (#41000 - in reply to #40907)

BBB wrote: Location: San Antonio, Republic of Texas USA Do you do that type of class Brother Neel? That is, working on a particular asana?
-----

Yes BBB: In my private class, which can be 30 to whatever min, I ask the student what that particular student wants from the class and wants to happen in the life. Then, I give instruction which the student is supposed to follow. It costs 60 per hour only.

The last time I personally took any Yoga instruction (for exercise) was in 1991. I paid 110 for the first hour and 130 for the second hour. Later, I took only chanting classes or philosophy classes.

BN
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-14 10:41 AM (#41020 - in reply to #40969)

tourist - 2006-01-13 8:09 PM
No kidding, we have done this once and it was pretty successful, right GJ? Several of us are teachers and others are experienced practitioners so we have a decent idea of what we are talking about

If I had a camera, I'd probably post some more pics.
Orbilia
Posted 2006-01-16 5:16 AM (#41034 - in reply to #40907)

My Iyengar teacher gets me to walk my feet down the wall after she's helped me up in the first place as it's that part I really can't seem to do. Being overweight means I find this pose quite constricting too, however you do get immense satisfaction the first time you manage to get anywhere near it.

My Sivananda teacher always gets us to work in pairs for this pose. You lie on your back and raise your legs to the 90 deg, position. The assistant stands behind your head and takes hold of your legs just above the ankle. The assistant then walks back until your lower back is off the floor and to the limit you set. The assistant then starts to lower your legs under your command, dropping to one knee to protect their own back. You tell them when to stop. You rest in this position for a while and then the assitant can either aid you in going up into a shoulder stand or can walk you back down onto the floor.

Regards,

Fiona
Graham
Posted 2006-01-16 9:58 AM (#41041 - in reply to #40907)

Thanks folks, I didn't expect so many replies.I'll certainly consider your suggestions.With my class being Hatha yoga we don't use props, only the odd block now and again.I have a good teacher, and understand that she has a schedule to stick to and can't really spend too much time with one student.I may possibly be a touch too bulky around the middle which I aim to do something about , although I've seen larger people doing it with ease.Probably, the main problem is my technique as suggested.I don't want to give up and am determined to do it.
once again, thanks

Namaste,

Graham.

Edited by Graham 2006-01-16 10:00 AM
jbaird
Posted 2006-03-30 3:57 PM (#48306 - in reply to #40907)

Graham,

Have had several teachers over 25+ yrs, and a sporadic practice that finally gelled a few yrs ago. Halasana very difficult for me, especially in mornings, but not long ago it opened like a door.

Main reason is that it is supposed to follow headstand, which I began daily six months ago. With headstand, halasana becomes a welcome followup to help stretch neck back out!...follow that with fish to stretch other way, and neck is "readjusted" from all that compression of headstand.

Question to the more advanced among us:

Book I have by Swami Satchidananda says halasana can be done "using all four positions of the toes".

Anyone know about those? All I know is that all positions of toes I can try feel good.

Graham
Posted 2006-06-16 12:57 PM (#55971 - in reply to #48306)

Hi All,
It's four months since I wrote about my problem with Halasana.With a bit of perseverance and not to mention losing nine pounds around the middle, I did it quite well at yesterdays class, still getting the choking sensation a bit but not half as bad as before.I think the weight loss has helped a lot, but I am more mindful as I go into the pose . jbaird,you're right, it did just happen.

Thanks again
Namaste

Graham.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-16 1:48 PM (#55975 - in reply to #55971)

Graham - 2006-06-16 12:57 PM

Hi All,
It's four months since I wrote about my problem with Halasana.With a bit of perseverance and not to mention losing nine pounds around the middle, I did it quite well at yesterdays class, still getting the choking sensation a bit but not half as bad as before.I think the weight loss has helped a lot, but I am more mindful as I go into the pose . jbaird,you're right, it did just happen.

Thanks again
Namaste

Graham.

KEEP PRACTICING, and congratulations

going from shoulderstand to Halasana is where i really started to progress into the pose

losing the weight will really improve it and the posture itself will help accomplish this, imo
tourist
Posted 2006-06-16 7:08 PM (#56006 - in reply to #55971)

Expert Yogi

Great news Graham! Thanks for getitng back to us. It is good to know how things work for people who ask stuff
Thushara
Posted 2006-06-19 8:10 AM (#56140 - in reply to #55971)

hey..Its great!!.. You know this happend to me when I was practicing the wheel pose in my beginners class.. I was trying hard and I couldnt raise my body..It was uncomfortable and frustrating.. But still I can remember .. Oneday with no effort, I could raise by body and I made a perfect wheel pose.. StillI wonder about that day.. after that..I felt easy with the pose.. Its all about not giving up and accepting your limitations for the moment

Edited by Thushara 2006-06-19 8:11 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)