YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More on Creationism
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Tsaklis
Posted 2006-02-01 1:25 PM (#42590 - in reply to #42054)
Subject: RE: More on Creationism

Ok, now I feel bad. I wasn't trying to demonstrate any "superior knowledge". I was just trying to contribute to the discussion. If my science is at a level above anyone's it is only because that is a particular interest of mine. I'm actually one of the most intellectually lazy people I know. If it doesn't interest me I will know absolutely nothing about it. This is why I only post in only a few threads. But science, particularly the history of science, has long been a fascination and I am always amazed by how and why different theories are accepted and rejected over time.

I'm reminded of a time a few years ago when I was going through a divorce that had all the ingredients to become really nasty even as we tried to remain civil. My now ex wife and I were exchanging lenthy emails and I made an analogy that was somehow science-related. I forget the actual details, but it was just following my train of thought as I wrote the email. She responded by simply copying my analogy back to me and beneath it included the observation...

"See, this is why people don't like you."

Charming woman.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-01 1:35 PM (#42592 - in reply to #42590)

Aw, I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I was actually making fun of myself.

I ended up marrying a man who loves science, and I'm fascinated that he has this interest for something that totally eludes me. I just wish I could keep up. He teaches me something, I think, "Okay remember this, Lori..." and I forget it 20 minutes later.

Your ex-wife was incorrect. We like you plenty.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-01 2:17 PM (#42596 - in reply to #42054)

I actually liked your post Steve, if I came across as mocking it, I apologize.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-01 4:39 PM (#42606 - in reply to #42596)

Me too!
tourist
Posted 2006-02-01 7:12 PM (#42614 - in reply to #42590)

Expert Yogi

Steven - I too, was only wishing I could keep up Maybe in person with time to stop and digest each bit, I could do it.

My first husband used to try to play the "logic" card on me and tangle up all my emotional responses in an arguement with "Here's the logic of this..." until one day I called him Mr. Spock. That helped a lot. Oh yeah, he's my current husband
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-02-01 11:20 PM (#42626 - in reply to #42054)

Hey Steven,

We all like your post(s). You have a wonderful capacity to communicate scientific ideas and theories into managable bite-sizes.

I shouldn't speak for all scientifically-challenged people but I'll take a stab: physics, astronomy and chemistry, to me, are outside of the human realm of basic human scale. I mean, chemistry is so small I can't even imagine what a mole is. In chemistry class I'll focus my imagination on comparing other small things to moles and the stuff I can come up with in my head is still not as small as a mole.

Same thing with astronomy, I mean it's SO big. "What is a light year?" I ask in my best Jerry Seinfeld voice. Is there a dark year? When do miles turn into years? I just can't get it on a human scale.

But, if we were dolphins, we would communicate perfectly with sonar, recreating the exact picture we are trying to get across to others.

Anyway, thanks for you input...it is appreciated
Tsaklis
Posted 2006-02-01 11:23 PM (#42627 - in reply to #42054)

Ok, enough with the making nice! I wasn't offended at all. I was being sincere in that I know that I can sometimes be dry and wordy... it's something for which I apologize almost daily. I would rather that than to oversimplify and come off as an arrogant jerk who is talking down to someone. I had a boss once who told me that I was great at my job, "but when it comes to dealing with people you give the impression that you should be fed through a slot in the door". I shared the story about my ex because I thought it was funny. I mean come on, that was a great one-liner. It's still a running joke with a few of my friends and family. Every time I start going on about something one of them will put his or her hand up and say "See, that's why people don't like you". So really, no harm no foul here at all. It's just difficult for me to word things correctly sometimes.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-01 11:57 PM (#42629 - in reply to #42627)

Tsaklis - 2006-02-01 11:23 PM

Ok, enough with the making nice!

Right after I stop doing tree and down dog, and all the other yoga stuff. I'm also in good mood, it was a beautiful day out, and everythings right with the world. I'll flip back to evil wizard hell-bent on dragging everybody else down with me in a day or two.

I had a boss once who told me that I was great at my job, "but when it comes to dealing with people you give the impression that you should be fed through a slot in the door".

You'll have to teach me how to do that one, I've got too many people coming into my office asking silly questions because they can't be bothered to figure things out for themselves.

I shared the story about my ex because I thought it was funny. I mean come on, that was a great one-liner. It's still a running joke with a few of my friends and family. Every time I start going on about something one of them will put his or her hand up and say "See, that's why people don't like you". So really, no harm no foul here at all.

Yeah, but I think that as a society we've been partially programmed to make innane comments whenever anyone says something halfway intelligent. Not sure why, there just seems to be a serious anti-intellectual element to a lot of Hollywood's stuff. OTOH, have you seen the tripe they attempt to pass off as plot lines? Maybe they do have something to fear from intellectuals types.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-02 8:21 AM (#42635 - in reply to #42627)

This reminds me a bit of my brother-in-law.

Tom (my husband) is the younger of the two and the only one in his family who went on to continue his education. He also teaches and gives formal lectures, so even in normal speech, he tends to "present" instead of "talk." In other words, if you ask a question, you'd better really want the answer.

He's not arrogant and certainly doesn't think he's better than everyone else, but his brother is plagued with a huge inferiority complex, and Tom's personality just feeds this.

I can listen to Tom and be fine. His brother listens and hears only, "I'm smarter than you, I'm smarter than you..." So his brother finds little ways to knock Tom down a peg or two. Tom tolerates most of it, but every once in a while he bites back.

It's been a problem for a long time. Anyway, his brother has used something similar to the "that's why people don't like you" comment, which of course isn't true. That's why his brother doesn't like him some days perhaps.
tourist
Posted 2006-02-02 10:11 AM (#42647 - in reply to #42627)

Expert Yogi

Steven - so now you know you have set yourself up for that running gag here, don't you? Be prepared!

Lori - my SIL does taht except she is an elementary school teacher (well, principal now...) although she has done it for as long as I have known her, come to think of it. Bad enough being "presented" to at a university or professional level but having the voice go up and the words slow down to Grade 1 (special ed, to boot!) is really, really irritating. Good thing we all love her so much!
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-02 10:42 AM (#42659 - in reply to #42647)

tourist
Steven - so now you know you have set yourself up for that running gag here, don't you? Be prepared!

That's what I thought!!

Regarding the spontaneous oral presentation: My husband knows I adore him, so he lets me tease him about this stuff. One night the whole family was sitting around after dinner, and someone brought up something about black holes, and Tom answered with a quick, "As a matter of fact, they do."... and that was it. There was this heavy pause, and I said,

"Uh oh, I feel an explanation coming on."

The whole room exploded into laughter. Then Tom said, "Okay smarta$$, now you're gonna GET the whole explanation!"
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)