YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trad. Thai Massage, reputation
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Massage -> Oriental MassageMessage format

Tu Minh Tan
Posted 2006-01-31 1:23 PM (#42478)
Subject: Trad. Thai Massage, reputation

Hello everyone, I need your advice and point or view. I am an asian male massage therapist and find very hard and hurting sometimes when people are asking for "Extra". It is not respectful when you think that so many Thai girls are saving money a great part of their life to come to Wat Po (or even Chang Mai) and they are treated like vulgar prostitutes.

I feel myself unhappy when people are asking for sex or a lady would preffer to have a massage with a woman. And This has nothing to do with sex. I am Buddhist and Thai massage is an buddhist massage. How can we change the reputation of Thai massage.

Minh Tan
http://thai-massage-mingxan.com/
Top of the page Bottom of the page
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-01-31 1:49 PM (#42479 - in reply to #42478)
Subject: RE: Trad. Thai Massage, reputation

Here's my two cents: maybe the female massage therapists should not act like vulgar prostitutes and finish massaging men with happy endings. How about people keeping their clothes on when massaged? Every Thai massage I've had, all by the same THai male therapist, I've kept my clothes on.

While we're on the topic, here's more of my point of view: I live in Las Vegas, NV. Prostitution is NOT legal in Las Vegas. Yes, whorehouses are legal in other cities in Nevada, but not in Las Vegas. That being said, we all know how well people follow the law, especially when there's LOTS of MONEY to be made. So, if you look in the Las Vegas yellow pages under MASSAGE, there are tons and tons of pages full of 'Young, beautiful Asian girls come to your room for "Oriental Massage"' Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. "Oriental Massage" equates to rub down with either a hand job or a blow job.

Of course, those of us on yoga.com know the difference between a respectful and healing Thai massage but try telling that to some drunk yahoo who's in town for the National Finals Rodeo (that that rodeo people are alcoholic or into buying sex...it's just an illustration).

True, there wouldn't be prostitution if men didn't ask for it but it takes 2 to tango and there wouldn't be prostitution if women didn't offer sex for money.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-01-31 1:55 PM (#42480 - in reply to #42478)

PS

There are countries, such as Thailand, that are known for their sex industry. Las Vegas fits into that category, too. What do you expect? People come to Las Vegas to drink, stay up all night, gamble and maybe, depending on the guy, have some girl come up to his room and do as much as his money can get him.

Bottom line: most people are stupid. What do you expect?
GreenJello
Posted 2006-01-31 2:13 PM (#42487 - in reply to #42478)
Subject: RE: Trad. Thai Massage, reputa

Wow, hit a nerve did we fifi?

Anyway Minh, I think the best you can do is present your services in a professional manner, and attempt to distance yourself from the other implications of your profession. Make sure you mention you're male, and maybe do other things else to make it clear that you're going to give people a massage, and nothing else. Then if people draw other conclusions that's their problem, you've done your best to be clear about your intentions.

Unfortunately as fifi says the "other" side of the business isn't going to go away, the best thing you can do is present a good example of a real masseuse.
Tu Minh Tan
Posted 2006-01-31 2:29 PM (#42489 - in reply to #42478)

Thank you both for your answers. It is just hard sometimes. I sometimes want to give up but thankfully I really enjoy giving Thai Massage and my clients encourage me.
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-01-31 9:54 PM (#42529 - in reply to #42489)

Expert Yogi

I'd agree...just make it clear that you don't do that kind of thing, right up front if necessary.
You can probably convey this message by using ads or images that talk about the traditions
of Thai massage or emphasize the professionalism and details of your work. Maybe advertise
your training in the field, etc. Prostitutes don't have any of that and will just emphasize the
carnal or venal elements.

Massage in the US is a mixed bag. My wife likes to get massages. I encourage her
to see women for this, just because that's what husbands are like, but it doesn't matter.
None of the places she goes have "that kind" of reputation or practice. As *Fifi* mentioned,
there is a lot of prostitution done under the label of massage here, especially in certain
tourist areas. It's usually obvious what's going on, either from the pink lights and little
hearts in the windows or from the ads that talk about "beautiful young girls"...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)