YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ladies Holiday
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Posted 2007-07-05 6:54 PM (#90814 - in reply to #90812)
Subject: RE: Ladies Holiday

You find answers in yourself, not in the East or the West. There are many helpful resourses in the world, both East and West, but until you find it in yourself, you are only repeating the words of others.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-07-05 7:26 PM (#90817 - in reply to #90814)

Expert Yogi

Very true. But if we go into something with an attitude that we are going to participate but only listen to the wisdom of our teachers in areas that we happen to agree with them, aren't we doing ourselves a disservice? And until we have a certain level of practice under our belts, we are not in any position to find anything "in ourselves." When we begin to play an instrument, we do as our teachers tell us and emulate their playing. Once we have a level of proficiency, then we can begin to explore the music within ourselves. We all start out by repeating the words of others.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-07-05 7:39 PM (#90819 - in reply to #90817)

Expert Yogi

You go girl...Tourist that is...very well said, couldn't have said that better myself,

Posted 2007-07-06 11:58 AM (#90849 - in reply to #90817)

Tourist,
I totally agree with what you are saying. You need to learn the notes before you can play the music. Once you know the notes, you must get past the mechanical and play the music, let the music flow through you or you are just playing notes. You learn the notes from Iyengar or whoever. You find the music within yourself.

Getting back to the issue of practicing Yoga during menstruation, if you follow Geeta's opinion on the subject you are following your faith in that individual. If you follow scientific proof, you are following your faith in the scientific method (which is just as much Indian as western). Scientific "proof" has often subsequently been proven false, but as I pointed out with shoulderstand, the Iyengars can also get things wrong and subsequently find a better answer. This is why I encourage women students to find their own answer. Since I don't have beginners doing inversions anyway, whether to invert or not is not an issue until they are advanced enough and in touch with their bodies enough to make a decision.

Edited by jimg 2007-07-06 12:21 PM

Posted 2007-07-06 12:37 PM (#90850 - in reply to #90849)

As far as listening to teachers only when we agree with them goes, I think that you should listen to everything and believe nothing. Since words are at best only a symbol for a truth or reality, you have to find the actual thing in yourself. As soon as you "believe" anything, you start filtering out everything that does not fit your belief. The result is an inflexible and closed mind and an end to growth. Don't we do Yoga to grow and to improve our flexibility and open ourselves?
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-06 2:26 PM (#90853 - in reply to #90772)

jimg - 2007-07-06 9:00 PM

Medically there is no evidence that Yoga, including inversions, should be discontinued during menstration.

This may be true from a physical perspective. We must also consider the energetic perspective though...
tourist
Posted 2007-07-06 11:17 PM (#90873 - in reply to #90850)

Expert Yogi

jimg - 2007-07-06 9:37 AM

As far as listening to teachers only when we agree with them goes, I think that you should listen to everything and believe nothing. Since words are at best only a symbol for a truth or reality, you have to find the actual thing in yourself. As soon as you "believe" anything, you start filtering out everything that does not fit your belief. The result is an inflexible and closed mind and an end to growth. Don't we do Yoga to grow and to improve our flexibility and open ourselves?

I knew I would run into trouble with that argument But as jonnie says, Geeta knows a whole lot more about the energetic aspects of what we are doing in asana than I do, so I trust her judgment in this. There is a lot more going on in asana than we are able to measure scientifically at this time. It is getting better, but there is still far to go. This always reminds me of conversations with a scientist friend who insists that man made vitamins are every bit as good as natural source vitamins. The truth is - we don't know! I told her that when science can produce man made butter that tastes and behaves exactly like real butter - or even better - reproduce real honey (right Cyndi?) I will put more faith in science. Until then, I'll go to cows for butter, bees for honey and Geeta, who has surely studied women's issues more thoroughly and with the most valid credentials than anyone on the planet to date, for asana during menstruation.

OK - I read back through this thread and I think I have said pretty much all I need to say now
Simmi
Posted 2007-07-07 3:15 AM (#90882 - in reply to #42743)

Hi,

I practice the the Ashtanga series, and although traditionally we are told to stop during Ladies Holiday, I've never really done that. I have absolutely no problems with inversions and bandhas during the time of the month, and my teachers, both male and female do not have a hard nosed apporach towards not practising on those days. Of course guruji does say to take time off, but I think whether a woman needs to do it depends very much on her on body and her awareness of what feels right for her.

I have found with more awareness of bandhas and a strong core, my periods are regular and I no longer suffer cramps like I used to before yoga (although this could be due to age and other reasons). I'm 31.

I also have fellow ashtangini friends who do the same and some tell me their periods lasts longer than before, but other than that nothing bad has come out of it. I'd say a woman should do what feels right for her body..
Cyndi
Posted 2007-07-07 7:57 AM (#90885 - in reply to #90873)

Expert Yogi

Oh Tourist...Please don't get me started on the Honey vs. Scientists thing.  I think it will be a cold day in hell before scientists will ever make honey though,

My definition of science is basically this....All science is to me is someone trying to prove that nature exists and how they themselves can manufacture it...mainly out of boredom and for the challenge.

Having that said...everything in nature, all the answers to the universe are right here within the earth..within ourselves.  My practice is seeking these answers - within...not without.  It's amazing when you observe, study and practice this concept, how things have a way of unfolding in our lives and answers suddenly appear - naturally.  We've had these discussions so many times here on this forum.  The oral transmissions of yoga that have been passed down for thousands of years, is still going strong.  Everything is recorded in the Veda, however, the oral transmissions must be given to the student...and that is where faith, trust and "pixie" dust....is a very important factor of the practice...without it, you can only go so far, another words...you'll never be complete and there will always be that little factor missing.  You can see in Western Yoga today.  If you don't understand what that means...you won't see it and there is no sense in even discussing it.  When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Scientists making honey,

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-07 8:08 AM (#90886 - in reply to #90853)

Unfortunately:

- Many (what? Many many) go to Physical Yoga Exercise since their medical treatment fails.

- Most of the physicians or medical men do not sufficiently practice yoga themselves.

- No, particularly scientific (actually, statistical) research has been done with mensurating women doing inversions has been documented.

- And, Yoga is NOT a medical system, though it is used therapeutically.

jonnie - 2007-07-06 2:26 PM

jimg - 2007-07-06 9:00 PM

Medically there is no evidence that Yoga, including inversions, should be discontinued during menstration.

This may be true from a physical perspective. We must also consider the energetic perspective though...
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-07 9:21 AM (#90890 - in reply to #90886)

kulkarnn - 2007-07-08 4:08 PM

Unfortunately:

- Many (what? Many many) go to Physical Yoga Exercise since their medical treatment fails.

- Most of the physicians or medical men do not sufficiently practice yoga themselves.

- No, particularly scientific (actually, statistical) research has been done with mensurating women doing inversions has been documented.

Hi Neel,

I agree and that was my point.

The usual argument put forward is that if a female gymnast can perform inversions safely, then why not a female Yoga practitioner?

Off course, this argument only focuses on one aspect of a complex and multi-dimensional discipline.

Jonathon
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-07 10:58 AM (#90891 - in reply to #90890)

Yup Jonniebhai: I was actually commenting more on jiimb's statements though I pulled your posting for reply.

jonnie - 2007-07-07 9:21 AM

kulkarnn - 2007-07-08 4:08 PM

Unfortunately:

Hi Neel,

I agree and that was my point.

The usual argument put forward is that if a female gymnast can perform inversions safely, then why not a female Yoga practitioner?

Off course, this argument only focuses on one aspect of a complex and multi-dimensional discipline.

Jonathon
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)