YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

dahn yoga exposed
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

HealerNoMore
Posted 2006-02-03 3:01 AM (#42747)
Subject: dahn yoga exposed

Please log on to http://www.cbs4boston.com

There is an I-Team story on the cult of dahn yoga. It is in the video section.

Hopefully, they will run more in depth stories in the future.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-03 7:09 AM (#42752 - in reply to #42747)
Subject: RE: dahn yoga exposed

"There's a sucker born every minute" …and they seem to gravitate towards this kind of excess. And yet these Dahn studios keep popping up like mushrooms. I’d like to think the local Yoga studio could learn something from this, business wise, but am afraid what there is to learn would most likely be insidious.

By the way, I have a $4,000 healing bamboo back scratcher if anyone is interested. Cult not included with your purchase.
shnen
Posted 2006-02-03 7:49 AM (#42753 - in reply to #42747)

FYI - I moved 3 years ago to an entirely new neighbourhood. I saw this huge yoga sign and decided to go check it out, afterall it said Yoga right?
WRONG.
So I signed the paper for 3 months without thinking about it - afterall - it did say Yoga....

So after my first class I was like - hmmm.... this isn't yoga, in fact this is kinda like a cult.
I requested to get my money back but they refused.
So I decided fine, then I will stay - do the 3 months (I didn't have the funds to walk away and join elsewhere), afterall it was still a pretty good workout (NOT YOGA THO).

They tried to get me to spend another $15,000 the 3 months I was there (to no avail), and you couldn't ask questions, you couldn't read anything except what the Inventor of this 'yoga' had written...

A week after my 3 months was over there was a huge write up in a local free paper (NOW Magazine - Toronto based) exposing it.

I was there for 3 months... so if anyone has any questions - I woud be more then happy to share. The scarey part - they keep growing and they have a huge male population (something that is lacking in the yoga community here).

Here is a link regarding the validity, cult-like behaviour and distruction of Dahn hak members:
http://www.rickross.com/reference/dti/dtivisitor.html

Rickross has a few articles... also - just look it up in google - theres tons of stuff out there.

Edited by shnen 2006-02-03 8:02 AM
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-03 9:56 AM (#42759 - in reply to #42747)

Wow! We have a Dahn Yoga near us. In fact, they came in and led a "yoga" class with our kids' reading group at the library.

I was considering signing us all up, but I did a search on the net and thought it seemed a little funky. I was lucky enough to find an Anusara studio shortly after.
tourist
Posted 2006-02-03 9:58 AM (#42760 - in reply to #42753)

Expert Yogi

shnen - thanks for the info. There have been big, big discussions here in the past about Dahn. It is good to have some calm, rational-sounding (you sound rational - are you sure you didn't get brain-washed there in 3 months? ) objective reporting on what it is like.

PS - you are from the big T.O.? Welcome fellow Canuck!
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-02-03 10:22 AM (#42764 - in reply to #42747)

Dear shnen:
Since you said you are open to giving out any information, could I ask you the following question for my satisfaction:

You wrote: FYI - I moved 3 years ago to an entirely new neighbourhood. I saw this huge yoga sign and decided to go check it out, afterall it said Yoga right? WRONG. So I signed the paper for 3 months without thinking about it - afterall - it did say Yoga....

My question: When you went into the studio very first time, I am sure there is something which you liked, such as a) look of the receptionist b) cleanliness c) holiness d) talk and information, etc. Can you kindly tell us what that was?

Kabu
Posted 2006-02-03 10:33 AM (#42767 - in reply to #42764)

I should send that video link to our library.

I dig the Power Brain. It's not unlike the wind-up chattering teeth.
HealerNoMore
Posted 2006-02-03 11:32 AM (#42784 - in reply to #42747)

The centers are all spotless. Unless you look really closely or are working there. The school is cleaned each day atleast once. The floors are only cleaned with water and rags,usually no disinfectant or soap of any kind. I knew members who contracted rashes.

The atmosphere is very professional and seemingly caring. You will learn later it is a tactic to con you into spending as much money as possible on courses. The tactic is called love bombing. If you don't give in to this manipulation they will ignore you and move on. This sounds good, but it will make you feel bad knowing they are ignoring you in front of the whole class. When a headmaster tells you to ignore someone, that is it, you are done with them even if they show up everyday for class.

There is always supposed to be someone at the front desk, even if it is not busy during the day. It is part of the look of being professional.

The term I can comfortably use about dahn members and masters is "useful idiots". This is because once I was left I woke up and saw the many ways we were manipulated and used while members. All for the gain of their founder.
shnen
Posted 2006-02-03 11:35 AM (#42785 - in reply to #42747)

I am quite rational (Even for a Canuk ;) )
Ok - so many questions....
1. Yes I am from Mississauga (I wanted to edit my profile but can't figure out where it is!)

2. Yes - i am quite rational and hard to scam (I was raised strict christian for many years and broke free from that... If I can do that, I can do anything!)

3. What I liked... the receptionist was extremely sweet and, like anyone who believes in what they are doing, was very passionate. She was actually a teacher there as well. The place was clean and had a eastern/asian flaire to it. On a few occasions during my 3 months I asked her if they were indeed a regigion - becasue they claim not to be, but they mention some things that were questionable to me, and quite a few references to Christianity.

You have to remember - just because they are a cult doesn't mean they don't have energy and can't sense your inner energies and fears, like anyone else who can read auras, and see energy.
You have a special one on one with the master of the centre (which changes every 6 weeks), and they get into your deepest secrets... they tried it on me once, then I deferred them to my physical ailments instead of letting them into my emotional.

They Learn your name immediately... and it's dangerous in our society these days where we WANT to belong to something... and they also work you very hard, so that brings in the instant gratification that our society also craves.

They give you challenges and personal attention.
I played with them, along with them and against them while I was there so I could get the most out of the experience, afterall, I'd be out of my mind if I was signing on for another 3 months! ;)

Hope this helps... again - ask anything you want...

Edited by shnen 2006-02-03 11:36 AM
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-03 12:07 PM (#42798 - in reply to #42785)

shnen - 2006-02-03 11:35 AM

I am quite rational (Even for a Canuk ;) )
Ok - so many questions....
1. Yes I am from Mississauga (I wanted to edit my profile but can't figure out where it is!)

Look for the "Control Panel" link at the top right part of the page.
shnen
Posted 2006-02-03 3:35 PM (#42827 - in reply to #42747)

Ah - found it - Many thanks~!
HealerNoMore
Posted 2006-02-06 7:37 PM (#43000 - in reply to #42747)

There will be another report on http://www.wcbstv.com.

Channel 2 @ 11pm tonite February 06,2006.

Watch it and learn why dahn yoga is a dangerous cult.

Edited by HealerNoMore 2006-02-06 7:38 PM
Rhachel
Posted 2006-02-07 7:20 PM (#43140 - in reply to #42747)

I watched that report online just now, it kind of creeped me out. It seems to me that anything that is good for you, someone else can spin into something that is bad for you.

I think someone needs to do an expose on the cult of Spinning. Those instructors are (insert Hecubus/Mr. Mestofolis voice here) EVIL!
samantha77
Posted 2006-02-07 7:26 PM (#43141 - in reply to #42747)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for posting this! I had seen the tail end of a preview about this and all I manage to hear was 'yoga' and 'cult'.  Naturally I wanted to know what they were talking about.  I was just about to post and ask if anyone had seen it or heard about it when I saw this post.

Samantha 

GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-07 8:20 PM (#43145 - in reply to #42747)

I couldn't find anything beyond the preview. Probably not a bad thing, most local news is all about the blood, baby!
ohmmmm
Posted 2006-02-09 3:36 PM (#43371 - in reply to #42747)

I joined a Dahn Yoga center five months ago. I certainly do not think that it is a cult. I will say, however, that it is expensive. The type of yoga combines some stretching and tapping with a bit of spiritual/energy type excercises. They emphasise a lot of smiling and start off the session with silly power brain dance. Its all meant to get people relaxed and get the stress out of our busy and hectic dasy, although I found it very strange when I started.

Regarding the cult, I don't think that is the cae at all. I know some people get really into it but I don't think that qualifies it as a cult. I think that if I stopped going I probably would not even get a phone call, except that I know the people there including the teacher/master and they might be concerned about my well being. So I guess I might get a call to see if I'm ok. There doesn't seem to be any mind controling going on...I mean how could there be when I go three or four times a week for a one-hour class with ten to twenty other people?

Some of the benefits I've gotten have been the typical things such as being able to stretch. I can finally touch my toes and that kind of thing. Friends have commented that I look better and more at peace. I think that is true because its helped me to calm down and I think I'm able to handle stress much better. There is a spiritual part of the Dahn Yog stuff, but that part of it is not really introduced much during regular classes. Its talked about more in the workshops (yes expensive) if someone wants to try that out.

The master/teacher at the center I am at asked me if I wanted to go to a workshop soon after I joined. I said no and there was no pushing or anything like that. The master/teacher did talk about the workshops at the end of the class often to the whole class and after about three months I went to one. I negotiated a price of $250 for a two-day workshop and it was good. I got a lot out of it.

The teacher/master at the center I'm at is from Korea. I had met some of the other teacher/masters from the other centers and they all seem to be good people. A little hard to understand as their english skills are so so. They genuinly believe in what they do and have made it their profession. Maybe I'm nieve and paying way too much money for the classes, but I can honestly say that I don't think there is anything bad about what goes on in the classes. The center may not be everones cup of tea, but I don't know why a few people here are so eager to trash the place.

HealerNoMore
Posted 2006-02-09 6:45 PM (#43385 - in reply to #43371)

Ohmmm wrote:[Regarding the cult, I don't think that is the cae at all. I know some people get really into it but I don't think that qualifies it as a cult. I think that if I stopped going I probably would not even get a phone call, except that I know the people there including the teacher/master and they might be concerned about my well being. So I guess I might get a call to see if I'm ok. There doesn't seem to be any mind controling going on...I mean how could there be when I go three or four times a week for a one-hour class with ten to twenty other people?]

If there doesn't seem to be any mind control going on why are you paying so much for classes you can get alot cheaper elsewhere? They will call you because they don't want the money you supply them with to run out; they really don't care about you, only your money. The technique is called "lovebombing", you know the very close suggestive hugs, and the "I love you, you have such good energy, you are a natural healer,etc." This is what they are trained to do and say.

You also went to the weekend worhshop? What did they fill your brain with? What workshop are you going to next and how much will it cost? You better start saving $10,000 for healer school it is right arond the corner.

Do you stick around and help clean the school or hand out flyers? How much do they pay you? I know it is for your spiritual growth. This is another form of manipulation and slave labor. Let some big corporation try this and see how fast they get sued and have the department of labor after them. The truth is the masters do not get overtime pay or any real benefits.

Are you single? If you are they will see how they can get you into a green card marriage. Before you take the plunge be warned you may face up to five years in prison, the Korean masters will just get deported and continue manipulating members in another country.

There is so much wrong with this organization, it is better to go someplace that is legitimate. The local gym will offer more benefits than dahn yoga.

There are too many people out there who have been hurt by this group. Julia Siverls died while in their care, but there have been several cases of near death while in the presence of dahn. These will hopefully see the light of day.

Did you know that when you are a master and you die, dahn masters are to retrieve your body from your family and bring it to Mago Garden,Sedona and cremate it so that the ashes can be spread among the Juniper trees. Your soul will then go to Bell Rock and wait with ilchi lee for 100 years before he brings you to "heaven". This is the Juniper Tree ceremony. Tell me again this is not a cult.

Please read all the posts here and on other websites and be careful.

Edited by HealerNoMore 2006-02-09 6:46 PM
shnen
Posted 2006-02-10 7:41 AM (#43415 - in reply to #42747)

HealerNoMore you are so bang on with your comments...

They get you to volunteer as much time as you can, and they get you to bring your friends and family in, and EVERYONE has to take the shimsung course - and never think you have negotiated a fair price - I know of some who have done it and had to pay for a head doctor because Dahn screwed them up so badly.

We live in a society that is just yearning for attention, love and a place to belong. Dahn gives that to them, but at a huge price. Please, don't be fooled by their antics - behind the scenes they are not all happy smiley and peaceful...

In fact - on some level they are just as much pawns in Mr. Lee's empire as anyone else... What kind of life is it to be moved around every 6 months so you can't establish any relationship?

I did my time there - simply because I didn't see the warning signs to begn with. Any studio will offer you a first class free, or for a discount... they suck you in for 3 months to a year at a time.

Please - do heed the warnings.
Jambo
Posted 2006-02-10 9:41 PM (#43465 - in reply to #42747)

ohmmmm

Where you be to answer the charges against Dahn? Speak to us my brother.
shnen
Posted 2006-02-11 4:50 PM (#43503 - in reply to #42747)

Ever since coming across these posts I have been searching for a site that I researched when i was at Dahn, and having heavy suspicions... see below:

http://selectsmart.com/ilchilee.html

http://www.randi.org/jr/121704no.html (look halfway down the page)

http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2005-03-31/news_story.php (a newsitem from a toronto magazine - where the author went and gave it a go becasue a friend recruited him)...
HealerNoMore
Posted 2006-02-17 3:43 AM (#43920 - in reply to #42747)

Here is another news story on the cult of dahn yoga. I hope there are a few more stories put on tv so the misguided masters see them and start to wake up to the fact they are being used.

http://www.kpho.com/Global/story.asp?S=4472763&nav=DIH7

Enter dahn yoga in the search box at the top right for a video link.

Alice3913
Posted 2006-06-11 9:29 AM (#55458 - in reply to #42747)

OH MY GOD!!!

I was just at a Dahn Yoga centre in Mississauga. I really enjoyed the exercises and meditation that I participated in. The instructor, Su, then met with me privately and told me that my right side had energy blockages. She said I had a problem with my right hip (which is true, it hurts), and said that some people have a hip strain and then the resulting blockages but mine was more severe. She said she recommended that I sign up for 3 months as a beginner and come everyday or 3 times per week. She invited me for a free health check up and I said Yes and she booked me an appointment. I did not feel right about signing over $320 for 3 months so I declined, she seemed a bit surprised but otherwise made no protest.

I called today and cancelled my appointment. The receptionist's English wasn't that great so I just told her to tell Su to call me back. I'm not sure what I will say, I'm very tempted to tell her about the video I saw and the postings I've read here and see how she reacts to this. I am SO glad that I came across this site! Thank you Yoga.com and thank you everyone's comments.

I really enjoyed the exercises. But was suspicious at how Su maneovered me into getting a 3 month membership. She offered no options. She did not explain what the health check was to my satisfaction. She offered no literature. Maybe she thought I was an easy catch. I like to research anything I get myself into and make informed, empowered decisions. I'd glad I've listened to my gut instinct!!!

Alice3913
verdade
Posted 2007-02-02 4:02 PM (#76161 - in reply to #43385)

Hello HealerNoMore,
I've been involved with Dahn for a little over 1 year and in addition to attending healer school, I've also taken several workshops. I've gotten a lot out of my practice including meeting some really wonderful new friends. But, I am the point now, where I am seriously thinking of quitting. Even after all this time, I cannot get rid of the feeling that something's really wrong with Dahn. It isn't just any one thing; it's a bunch of different things that keep those flags flying for me...the relentless sales pressure to get you to sign up for more and more trainings to "grow your soul", the long hours that the employees work, the fact that they live together, socialize together' and supposedly take vows of celibacy...it just goes on and on. What mde you quit? Was there any one specific incident or several? Was it hard to leave? I hate the idea of leaving my friends and of not going to class regularly. Am I already brainwashed?
Thanks!
Ercs
Posted 2007-09-27 4:47 PM (#97103 - in reply to #42747)

Hi, I just want to share my experience with Dahn.
I wish I would read more about Dahn before I joined but I am glad that I read it now.
I joined the Dahn yoga and took 10 trial lessons. When I joined, the owner of the center Korean woman told me “I love you”. (Now I know that this was one of the tricks they use).
Then after my second class the same woman took me to a private room where she held piece of paper and all financial breakdown for my life-time membership. She wanted me to join it for $5.000 and pay it in the next 3 months. I thought that it was pretty expensive and too soon to make this offer since I only wanted to take few classes and to see if I like it or not. When I asked about the workshops she said that I still have to pay for them but with 20% of discount, each workshop was about $250 -400.

They let me go to one free open session. May be this session was to advance for me but I felt terrible when I started to do some exercises. My whole body got very cold and I got very light headed and at one moment I just wanted to walk away from the class. The teacher of the workshop saw that I was not feeling good, so she came up to me and rubbed my chest and my belly. She said that I have blockages and that’s why I don't feel good. Then after another exercise I start to feel horrible pain in my hand that I couldn’t even move it. The same teacher said that it happened because I have lots of energy blockages in my body.
I have still 7 classes to go but after my experience with the workshop and what I’ve read on this site I don’t feel comfortable to go to the class again.
So, I have a card with few more classes on the case if anyone wants to go, I can give my card for the class pretty cheap.

Edited by Ercs 2007-09-27 5:12 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)