YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How Many Suns?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Philosophy and ReligionMessage format

Tsaklis
Posted 2006-02-06 3:25 AM (#42951)
Subject: How Many Suns?

Ok, so this may show the more daffy / mystical side of my personality, but that's cool. I've said before that I have a lifelong fascination with the history of science, and the fact is that there are certain scientific aspects to ancient cultures that we are still at a loss to explain. This all seems to lead back to the various creation myths that are out there for all of the different cultures and religions, and the fact that many of them share odd similarities. One of the strangest is the Hindu belief that man's present incarnation on earth is not his first, but, if I recall correctly, this is his third out of a total of four. This is very similar to the mesoamerican (primarily Aztec and Mayan), that this is man's fourth incarnation on earth out of a possible five. The Aztec referred to each incarnation as a "sun", in the belief that each time humanity was swept from the earth a new sun had to be made by the gods as part of mankind's rebirth. Hence, to them we are very near to the end of the fourth Sun with one more to go. Now I know that most of the answers to this question will be nothing more than lessons in the various scriptures, but it could still be an interesting discussion. So, in your book, or mind, or whatever.... How many Suns have we had before? Do you think that this one ends? Will there be another?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-02-06 10:34 PM (#43016 - in reply to #42951)
Subject: RE: How Many Suns?

Expert Yogi

It's been going on longer than we can imagine, and it will continue long past what
we can imagine. Whether those boundaries are mortal or temporal, I cannot say.
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-07 9:57 PM (#43160 - in reply to #42951)
Subject: RE: How Many Suns?

Okay, that's a cool idea.

Reincarnation makes sense to me. Really, it's the first idea spiritually that has ever made sense to me. We've been here before, and we carry our previous lessons with us. We'll be back again if more is to be learned or more is to be done.

So I suppose the answer is yes, this "sun" will come to an end. And we'll be back together again. How many incarnations we've had, I have no idea.

On a slightly similar note:
There was a connection made between OM and the Bible's story of Creation. The idea was that OM, being the sound or vibration of the universe and/or the sound of creation, was what they were referring to in the Bible when it was said in the beginning there was the word, and the word was God.

Of course, the Hindu and Christian religions were more likely to have come into contact with each other, making this connection less curious. Your Sun similarity between Hindu and Aztec/Mayan seems way more interesting just because of geography. The chances of them crossing and "sharing" religious ideas isn't as likely.

Edited by Kabu 2006-02-07 9:58 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)