YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pulled hamstring
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

singer27
Posted 2006-02-16 7:35 PM (#43909)
Subject: pulled hamstring

I pulled the hamstring in my right leg about five years ago and it's never recovered. I went to a physical therapist a few times but it proved too expensive even with insurance. (Oh, how I would love to return to him. It DID help). Other than that option does anyone have any thoughts or advice on hamstring strengthening? I began Yoga about four months ago and I love it but I have to be VERY careful in certain poses or I will certainly reinjure myself.

mar
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gruvemom
Posted 2006-02-16 8:19 PM (#43911 - in reply to #43909)
Subject: RE: pulled hamstring

singer, I'm sorry you've been suffering for so long.  some of my fellow yogis and I swear by the healing powers of the following exercise:

Sit in a chair and press the foot of the injured leg into the floor, really hard. Isometrically, pull the heel towards the chair.  This means that your foot doesn't move, but your hamstring does engage.  doing this as action as much as possible will heal your hammie in no time (that's my experience and the experience of my friends).  Tell your yoga teacher, too.
singer27
Posted 2006-02-17 8:19 PM (#43963 - in reply to #43909)

Thanks for the advice on hamstring healing. I'll try it and let you know.

singer

Posted 2006-08-16 7:10 PM (#61857 - in reply to #43909)

Hello Singer,

I'm not too keen on more chair sitting as it's one of the main causes for low back pain in North America. But, if it is working for someone, without causing other imbance or weakness, then of course said person could continue.

The first thing I note in your post in the fear and tenative nature of your mind around this. There's no healing to be done, nothing on the physical level, without your mind behind it. They must act in tandem. If you believe healing will occur, it can and will.

I am not suggesting you not be "carefull". I am merely saying your text indicates you will surely reinjure yourself. The mind will make it so.

To the physical: What makes you think it's strengthening you need versus stabilization? Did you receive a diagnosis the first time round with this? What was the nature of the damage? You simply pulled the muscle five years ago and it's hurt ever since?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)