YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weights and Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

Miabella704
Posted 2006-02-17 7:15 PM (#43961)
Subject: Weights and Yoga

I feel like I'm overtaxing my muscles, etc. by lifting dumbbells AND doing Ashtanga. Would I be better off running instead? Will I get enough strength training with yoga and no weights? I keep having muscle soreness, fatigue, and twitches or spasms in various muscles. Is it redundant to lift weights if I do a physical form of yoga like Ashtanga?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-17 10:45 PM (#43968 - in reply to #43961)
Subject: RE: Weights and Yoga

I think I've heard this topic discussed on and off, but I'm not sure there was ever a clear answer.

Some say WT shortens the muscles and works against Yoga. Others say WT can help build strength in some poses (which makes sense). Then I've heard that WT delivers more of that body-builder type strength, while Yoga offers more functional strength. *shrug* My teachers swear they prefer Yoga to WT.

I will say this though ~ if you're feeling tired, then that's a signal to pull back a bit on something. You don't want to keep pushing through that and end up hurting yourself. I've been ramping up my workouts, including WT, since before the holidays. My left shoulder finally gave out 2 weeks ago, and now I'm sidelined with an injury. I can't even get into DownDog without pain.

I'm interested to hear what the other Ashtanga practitioners on the board have to say.
Miabella704
Posted 2006-02-18 8:31 PM (#44019 - in reply to #43961)

Nah, I'm just going to rest a bit more. I've been overdoing. I just need to cut back for awhile.
Miabella704
Posted 2006-02-20 12:08 AM (#44091 - in reply to #43961)

This brings me to my next question. I just got done lifting weights (lower weight for now) and INSTANTLY my left deltoid begins twitching. Now it'll do this all night. What is causing this? I'm not overworking it. I eat well, take vitamins/minerals. I can't figure out what causes certain muscles to twitch and spasm like this. It's a regular occurrence.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-20 9:49 AM (#44113 - in reply to #44091)

Miabella704 - 2006-02-20 12:08 AM

This brings me to my next question. I just got done lifting weights (lower weight for now) and INSTANTLY my left deltoid begins twitching. Now it'll do this all night. What is causing this? I'm not overworking it. I eat well, take vitamins/minerals. I can't figure out what causes certain muscles to twitch and spasm like this. It's a regular occurrence.

I get that too. Not really sure what causes it. Sometimes it's not even the muscles, it's other parts of the body....
Miabella704
Posted 2006-02-20 10:27 AM (#44128 - in reply to #44113)

I get that too. Not really sure what causes it. Sometimes it's not even the muscles, it's other parts of the body....

Dare I ask?
GreenJello
Posted 2006-02-20 10:58 AM (#44135 - in reply to #44128)

Miabella704 - 2006-02-20 10:27 AM

Dare I ask?
Sorry, sometimes in the various charkas (particular the third eye, and diaphram), sometimes things like fingers. For about a week I had a twitch right about the size of a dime in my right elbow crease.
Miabella704
Posted 2006-02-20 11:10 AM (#44141 - in reply to #43961)

Last night it got very interesting. The deltoid and the tricep were taking turns twitching. It could be a nerve or nerve channel that is disrupted. It's not painful so I guess it's not a major thing.

Posted 2006-02-21 11:29 PM (#44406 - in reply to #43961)

i think that this whole process begs a lot of questions: how often do you lift weights? what does your weight training regime/practice look like? how long after lifting weights do you do astanga yoga? how many calories do you eat per day? how much iron do you get? how much sleep do you get? how much time to you spend in 'resting' or 'nonactive' activities/poses (meaning, sitting at a computer or reading)? how long does your astanga practice last, on average?

i find that weight training and yoga can be very beneficial together. I come from a 'school of thought' where things should be done for joy of the doing. i like to lift weights, so i lift weights. i lift weights twice a week. i do a 'full body' routine each day--one day is pulling motions, one day is pushing motions. I also do yoga (not astanga, but like astanga) every day, for about 2 hrs. it's broken up though into 1 hr and 1/2 hr sessions. And, i like to go rock climbing twice a week (and i belay 10 hours on top of that). and i like my swimming and my walking too. yeah.

So, you see i do a lot, and i don't have the muscles a twitchin'. i don't find that any of these activities inhibits my yoga in any way, but i don't know what 'inhibiting yoga' means. it certainly doesn't 'shorten' my muscles. Muscles have certain lengths based on body type (muscle composition, etc), and this doesn't change no matter what you do. The size of your muscles may change, but not the length. And, it doesn't necessarily make me more or less flexible. i assume i'm stronger because weight training--well, i increas the weight that i move over time, which would be a strong indication of increased strength.

i think the key is food, rest, and appropriate balance for you. It may be right for you to do astanga 3 days a week and weights 2 and then the funky chicken on the other two days. you know? could be anything.

Posted 2006-02-22 10:28 AM (#44442 - in reply to #44406)

I know for me at the moment, cardio-step aerobics is helping me with balance by strengthening my ankles as well as the rest of the muscles in my legs. I used to lift weights and practice yoga and the weight training did help me more with upper body strength. I would lift whole body 2 times weekly.

Now, I am back in the swing of things and doing more cardio to get back in shape and doing yoga two times weekly. Soon, I want to start back up lifting again to complete the package. I like to lift free weights better than the machines if possible. Hope I helped.
slimfit
Posted 2006-06-30 2:24 AM (#57220 - in reply to #43961)
Subject: yoga to lose weight

i think that by practising yoga regularly a person can manage his weight and even get slim, but it demands a high level of devotion and concentration. i have seen so many people really losing weight and getting a more defined body shape after some 2 years of serious yoga practice. and i read a lot about reaction of yoga from people suffereing from weight problems, im posting one of the things i read here:

http://www.imsickofbeingfat.com/forum/2886-yoga-meditation.html

i think that those who dnt want to get into heavy exercising cna always opt for yoga to get a calmer mind and healthier body!
YogaGuy
Posted 2006-07-02 5:51 PM (#57412 - in reply to #43961)

Weights are tools to help you get stronger. They are great if they are used correctly to that end. Unfortunately, the state of exercise in this country has focused on using weights to make you bigger and look a certain way at the expensive of real strength, power, flexibility and stamina. If your exercise routine is something found in a bodybuilding magazine that promises you flatter abs and a smaller but, then you are probably not going to get stronger and certainly won't get better at yoga.

If you exercise to make yourself stronger, you can also maintain flexiblity, power, and stamina. This is because real weightlifting requires full range of motion and develops strength, power and stamina. If you are afraid of using heavy weights for fear of getting too big, then you are doing yourself a huge disservice. You are using a lame (read: implausible) excuse to keep yourself from doing some hard work that will pay huge dividends. Find yourself a real trainer that can teach you the slow lifts: squat, deadlift and press; and the fast lifts: clean, jerk and snatch. You will get strong! You will be fit. And ashtanga will be much easier.

SeldonSmith
Posted 2012-04-13 2:14 PM (#210338 - in reply to #43961)
Subject: Re: Weights and Yoga

Yoga are so good to reduce the weight there are so many exercises are in the yoga which all are the best to reduce the weight but i like meditation it is so good for the health and also good to reduce the weight.so yoga are the best for the health.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)