YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hip joint injury
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

sparkey
Posted 2006-02-23 5:12 AM (#44582)
Subject: hip joint injury

I started doing Vinyasa yoga twice a week about last September. I upped it to four times a week late January, two Power Yoga sessions and two Vinyasa sessions per week. We started doing hip opening exercises last week, and I was surprised that I could nearly do the splits. This week we worked on them again and I was pretty much at full extension with my hips nearly touching the ground. It didn't feel like I was pushing myself too far until I heard something give down in my left hip socket. It kinda sounded like when you pull a chicken leg off a cooked chicken, the sound of cartilage giving. Whoopsie. The instructor didn't say a word to me as I rolled up my mat and limped out of the class early, which I though was pretty collossally unprofessional.

I'm still able to walk, thankfully. The injury seems to be part soft tissue and, to a lesser extent, a a pulled muscle. I iced it when I got home, which took the inflamation down and began taking ibuprofen and glucosamine. So now I'm a bit gimpy but still mobile. It also isn't as bad as I thought it would be the evening I injured it.

Any thoughts, comments and suggestions to get me healthy and practicing again are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Josh

Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-02-23 10:55 AM (#44605 - in reply to #44582)
Subject: RE: hip joint injury

Expert Yogi

Oh Josh - I feel for ya! Many of us have popped this or that during practice. The trouble with flexibility moves is that we often try to do them with flexibility and not with strength. Keeping the appropriate muscles working strongly while releasing only those needed to get into the pose is the key - that and good alignment. Soft tissue injuries can take eons to heal but work like massage, accupuncture etc. can really help. My massage therapist said that clearing up my torn hamstring felt like popping bubble wrap. Glad she had fun....

Check in with that teacher and ask what you could have done to prevent the injury. If you don't get a decent answer, find another teacher!

Posted 2006-02-24 1:55 AM (#44712 - in reply to #44582)

vinyasa style yoga is great.
that said (in a complete absence of sarcasm), i would like to point out the shortcoming that since it moves so fast, you often have little time to learn alignment in poses. i have taken ashtanga yoga from some highly skilled teachers, and they worked it in pretty well, but in most cases i have found it to be lacking.
not to say it should not be practiced.
however, i think that as a relative newbie to yoga and a recently injured individual, it would be highly beneficial to you to look into some classes that emphasize alignment and development of body intelligence. strengthening as well as stretching, as the illustrious tourist said.
learning those fundamentals of alignment will help you to go progressively deeper in postures safely. you may find that you need to take steps back in depth of posture in order to move forward with proper alignment. but your body will love it and integrate it into your asana practice as well as daily movements.

also, depending on how your injury heals up, you might want to check out prolotherapy. its a great nonsurgical alternative to connective tissue recovery that works with your body's natural process of inflammatory response. look it up!

additonally, my mom calls me sparky. it bugs the hell out of me...
tourist
Posted 2006-02-24 3:51 AM (#44716 - in reply to #44712)

Expert Yogi

Sparky Pretty cute. I am getting accustomed to hearing it as the Brit nickname for electrician because we watch too much home improvement TV (and should be practicing instead of watching...). I think military radio operators also got that at one time - maybe still
Orbilia
Posted 2006-02-24 5:40 AM (#44722 - in reply to #44716)

*LOL* We actually use "Sparks" for an electrician. Sparky is usually used to imply the opposite...

"Oh, well done, Sparky" would imply the person concerned had just been a bit dim

Those home improvement and garden make-over programs are a bit addictive aren't they?

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2006-02-24 5:47 AM
Kabu
Posted 2006-02-24 9:27 AM (#44732 - in reply to #44722)

Orbilia -
"Oh, well done, Sparky" would imply the person concerned had just been a bit dim

Okay, this explains things. I hear this phrase a lot in my offline life.

Hope you recover quickly, Josh!

Edited by Kabu 2006-02-24 9:29 AM
sparkey
Posted 2006-02-24 9:52 AM (#44736 - in reply to #44712)

Thanks for the input, everyone. I had already concluded that I would probably have to regress a bit in my routines and have an appointment with the orthopod later this afternoon. So the injury is more-or-less because of incorrect form? I'm hoping to start practicing regularly again in 6 weeks and be back to near where I was in 12. I have some back issues going on and yoga elminates the painkillers and muscle relaxants for me.

Prolotherapy looks encouraging; how much does it typically cost? Would it also help an old wrist injury from snowboarding?

The nickname Sparkey was given to me by an old friend after a Jack Daniels bender at a Ratdog show several years ago. I'm a bit hyperactive, so it's definitely appropriate....

-Josh

dhanurasana - 2006-02-24 1:55 AM

vinyasa style yoga is great.
that said (in a complete absence of sarcasm), i would like to point out the shortcoming that since it moves so fast, you often have little time to learn alignment in poses. i have taken ashtanga yoga from some highly skilled teachers, and they worked it in pretty well, but in most cases i have found it to be lacking.
not to say it should not be practiced.
however, i think that as a relative newbie to yoga and a recently injured individual, it would be highly beneficial to you to look into some classes that emphasize alignment and development of body intelligence. strengthening as well as stretching, as the illustrious tourist said.
learning those fundamentals of alignment will help you to go progressively deeper in postures safely. you may find that you need to take steps back in depth of posture in order to move forward with proper alignment. but your body will love it and integrate it into your asana practice as well as daily movements.

also, depending on how your injury heals up, you might want to check out prolotherapy. its a great nonsurgical alternative to connective tissue recovery that works with your body's natural process of inflammatory response. look it up!

additonally, my mom calls me sparky. it bugs the hell out of me...

Posted 2006-02-24 11:30 AM (#44767 - in reply to #44736)

it certainly would help with an old wrist injury from snowboarding.

my prolotherapy costs have been about 500 dollars a session, but that was for full body treatment (ankle, knees, back, shoulders...i was pretty beat up). i had a knee and shoulder treatment done last summer and that was only 150. when you think about how much you stand to pay (physically and monetarily) on surgery, painkillers and rehab (which are questionably effective), i feel the cost is pretty low.

i wouldn't necessarily say your injury stems entirely from incorrect form. in the splits its really easy to go too deep, seeing as your entire body weight is pushing your down and your lower body is pretty much stretched to the limit. knowing the precise ligament/muscle/tendon rotations is important for deep postures because it allows you to bear the weight properly, and get an even stretching/strengthening...

off to class!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)