YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spinal Fusion
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

COmtnhigh
Posted 2006-02-24 2:13 PM (#44789)
Subject: Spinal Fusion

Not the rock band!

Hopefully, I came to the right forum for advice.First, I live in a small town in the Rockies and a teacher or class is pretty much out of the question. I'm working from a book, BKS Iyengar. Many of the asanas say "do not practice" if you are prone to migraines, which I am. This includes the most basic stuff like variations on the mountain posture. I'd like to know if I can at least attempt these positions, being very careful of alignment, using props, listening to my body? I'm curious as to why they are not recommended and how it will affect my learning if I can't do these basic postures. The migraines probably result from being fused at C2-5 due to degenerative arthritis. I currently have good range of motion and flexibility, I have worked out for years to (don't laugh) The Jane Fonda Workout which uses several yoga postures, though I never realized that's what they were. I'm also wondering if I should even attempt the inverted postures. I'm not asking for medical advice here, just wanting feedback. I promise to use common sense! Would it be worth my while to travel to a large city for a one time consultation with a teacher? If so, can anyone recommend someone in Colorado Springs or Denver? In addition to the fusions, including L5 S1, I have lupus and just today found out I have polymyalgia rheumatica and temporal arteritis and have been put on steriods. I am really looking forward to the benefits I know I can obtain from yoga. Thanks so much for any replies!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-02-24 7:10 PM (#44807 - in reply to #44789)
Subject: RE: Spinal Fusion

Expert Yogi

Christine - I highly recommend you find a very well qualified teacher to work with. Learning yoga on your own with a fit and "normal" body is one thing, but with your issues, I would not attempt anything beyond a few basic and mostly restorative poses. I have had yoga aggravate my migraines and still have tobe careful with certain practices - and I have been practicing for quite awhile and studying with world class teachers on a regular basis. I wouldn't want your head pain to get worse - or any of the rest of the stuff either! Which Iyengar book do you have? I can maybe point you to a few things that would be safe.
kristi
Posted 2006-02-25 3:48 AM (#44846 - in reply to #44807)

Veteran

Dear Christine and dear tourist
I am certainly NOT the best/the right person to give advice, since my own experience in Iyengar yoga is only of 3 years of practising (but on almost a daily basis). I only had few weeks of beginners classes in India, but then, back home, with no teacher/school around, I couldn’t but go on by myself, it was impossible for me to stop yoga. Very carefully observing what goes on inside me while practising (and not only…) and with the help of the books “The Illustrated Light on Yoga” and “The path to holistic health”. Please note that I had a background in classical ballet and in modern dance, which made me somehow more experienced in subtle “body work”, in avoiding injuries etc, which made me confident enough to go on without a teacher. I also would NOT recomend to someone who has taken no classes at all to try practising alone.
But what I wanted to point out is that at least my terrible and frequent headaches, that also had to do with degenerative problems of my neck’s vertebrae, did indeed TOTALLY disappear with my yoga practise (although this was not at all the reason that had made me start yoga in the first place…) I think it is the practise in general that cured this problem of mine, but more precisely, I am sure it is the handstand-against-a-wall posture which was THE medicine for my back neck & headache problem. I start my practice every morning with this posture and I try to keep it for as long as my hands can hold me (few minutes, the nicest minutes of the day). Tourist, I understand from your posts that you are certainly more experienced to comment on this and help our friend Christine. I certainly don’t recommend someone totally new or totally inexperienced to try the above asana or any other asana without instructor. But I only wanted to give courage to someone facing a similar problem like the one I had. Believe me, my tube of anti-pain pills is still untouched in my home’s medicine-chest, almost as full as it was 3 year ago !
So, Christine I wish you find a good instructor even only for a few basic lessons and that you also manage to cure this problem of yours. About the other problems you mention, I have no idea. But I am sure that a good teacher will advice you with the right asana sequence that will help. And then comes the rest... of Yoga, which is also the best and most important ! Good luck !
Kristi
tourist
Posted 2006-02-25 9:57 AM (#44859 - in reply to #44846)

Expert Yogi

Kristi - thanks I am a big fan of the handstand for headache and shoulder/neck issues myself. There is a ton of stuff people can do on their own - most people, that is. Christine just has so much stuff going on I would be pretty concerned about her going it alone. I am hoping she will tell us she has the Holistic Health book so I can suggest some good restorative work for her. Yoga won't "cure" fused vertebrae or polymyalgia but it can sure do amazing things toward relieving the pains that go along with them. I hear minor miracle stories from my students (and myself!) all the time BKS talks a lot about yoga relieving the pains we cannot live with and helping us live with the pains we cannot relieve. I have had much success in both directions

Posted 2006-02-25 10:00 AM (#44861 - in reply to #44789)

Dear Christine,

I agree with Tourist and Kristi about your practice in yoga. Listen to your body and if possible find a good instructor to guide you and modify poses if necessary. My migraines are mainly stress induced and hormonal. My headaches are appearing less frequently now, thus I am able to workout again doing cardio classes. Years ago, that was my introduction to yoga...I had to quit teaching cardio due to getting migraines after teaching.

Yoga has helped me with range of motion in my neck (I do not have C-spine problems) which is important as a hygienist plus all of the other bonuses. Take advantage of this forum to load up on information! Hope this has helped
COmtnhigh
Posted 2006-02-25 2:12 PM (#44894 - in reply to #44789)

Thanks so much to everyone who replied to my post. I am working from the Holostic Health book of Iyengar, looks like I made a good choice! As I mentioned, I've already been doing some asanas for years without realizing it, including downward dog, so I am pretty flexible. I can touch my whole palms down to the floor. Fortunately I had a great neurosurgeon. I think if I proceed cautiously I'll be okay. I really appreciate any advice from you experienced folks. I'll try to hook up with a teacher that I can see when I go down the mountain to see the docs.

Here's an interesting thing. I suffered all winter with aches, stiffness, headaches and fatigue, which my rheumatologist called "fibromyalgia" (just means muscle aches). No matter what I did to take care of myself, it never got any better and I lived in constant pain. Finally, my pain management doc realized I had inflammatory issues my rheumatologist should have been watching out for. Even then, the rheumy wouldn't see me till APRIL so I finally persuaded my primary to put me on a short course of steroids. Three days later and I feel like a new woman! I have the office to myself today and I put on some CD's and have been dancing and prancing about like a 20 year old! I'm overflowing with joy and send it all out to you to share today.

Namaste

Christine

Edited by COmtnhigh 2006-02-25 2:21 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)