YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thai Yoga Massage??
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Massage -> Oriental MassageMessage format

YogaMommy
Posted 2006-03-01 8:50 PM (#45398)
Subject: Thai Yoga Massage??

Alright, Zoebird got me all interested in Thai Yoga Massage. I've been reading on-line about it, and it sounds awesome. Any yoga teachers here do it? What kind of training do you have? It sounds so cool, I think I'd love to take the training at Kripalu. Lotus Palm sounds like it's the best school.... Is that right?

Thanks,
Carole
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bay Guy
Posted 2006-03-01 10:48 PM (#45424 - in reply to #45398)
Subject: RE: Thai Yoga Massage??

Expert Yogi

Look in the Oriental Massage forum...

http://www.yoga.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20707&posts=6#M42529

... bg

Posted 2006-03-02 7:26 AM (#45433 - in reply to #45398)

i don't know if lotus palm is the best school or the most popular school or the school that simply has the best marketting, or the only 'school' in north america. . .but they get around. I can say that the materials from the school (books, DVDs etc) are very good--some of the best i've found.

i started my training with the Vedic Conservancy which mostly focuses on weekend workshops for yoga teachers and massage therapists. they want you to have a background of some bodywork before you take the workshop. i found tht the yoga teachers were better prepared than the massage therapists in general. the YTs focused on energy movement and, at least i found, could really 'feel' the energy moving and had a good instictive/intuitive sense. the massage therapists really struggled with the positioning, the breathing, and focused more on where thinsg were in the physical body (right, so this movement goes along the back edge of the ___ between the ___ and ___.) rather than intuiting where the sen lines were and simply working from the energy body. It was a really, really interesting course.

my future plans are to study in thailand. i've considered lotus palm--and a couple of others--and i've decided that my best bet would be thailand. i know it's not for everyone to go to thailand. that's cool. comparitively, though, thailand is much less expensive. I found a 3 month, live-in program in thailand that costs $2,000. Air fare from CA is about $300 RT. One trip to lotus palm at any of the locations where they usually teach, for a week, is about the same cost or more. So, it's really dollars and cents to me.

but hey, i don't have kids--and that makes a huge difference, doesn't it?
shnen
Posted 2006-03-02 8:20 AM (#45437 - in reply to #45398)

Zoebird - you are so lucky to be able to go away for 3 months. I have no kids but I do have a mortgage!

I have been interested in it for a few years now. I had my first Thai yoga massage about 2 years ago and ever since then I was sold.

I want to save up to get my training... I would probably go to Lotus Palm since it's in CAD and has a very good reputation... whether its the best I have no idea, but it can't be the ONLY one.

Edited by shnen 2006-03-02 8:22 AM

Posted 2006-03-02 8:45 AM (#45440 - in reply to #45398)

my husband and i live on his income, so he would 'stay home' and continue to work. we did this when i went to africa (study abroad for a summer), and it's no problem.

but, where we have the problem is this summer. we're going to scandenavia for 3-4 weeks (for research/work and pleasure), and he only had 3 weeks vacation. he also has two other events to do this year (men's conference, austin screenwriters conference) which take up 5 days. So, he's working every holiday to use them as 'floaters'--to take them later in the year. If we only go for 3 weeks, we only loose my pay and none of his, but if we go for 4 weeks, we loose a week of his. Luckily, we've been able to save up (and hopefully we'll get that research grant too) that could make up the difference for us.

but, we're squirrels!
cerise
Posted 2006-03-05 11:42 PM (#45872 - in reply to #45398)

When in Thailand, you may learn 2 (main) ways of giving Thai Massage. In the North, it is more "yoga body work" whereby you "manipulate"/treat/apply massage to the body while putting the patient in different asanas. In the Center/South, massage along the energy lines while pressing points is more widespread. Practising on as many patients as possible is key as one develops a better sense of what to do to that particular patient rather than applying broad rules to every body.

Asokananda (Herald Brust) has wrote excellent books about Thai massage (Northern approach) which you will be able to buy in Thailand. It is in English. Asokananda was German and was instrumental in offering his knowledge and deep understanding to the Western world.

Best of luck.
shnen
Posted 2006-03-08 8:05 AM (#46046 - in reply to #45398)

I actually bought the thai yoga massage book by the guy who started the studio in Montreal - it is very detailed and talks about the energy lines and the poses - what to do when, etc. seems very good...

I actually received a certificate for a 90 minute thai yoga massage I still have to use!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-03-08 10:44 AM (#46070 - in reply to #46046)

shnen - 2006-03-08 8:05 AM

I actually bought the thai yoga massage book by the guy who started the studio in Montreal - it is very detailed and talks about the energy lines and the poses - what to do when, etc. seems very good...

What's the name of the book?

Posted 2006-03-08 3:17 PM (#46109 - in reply to #45398)

Here's the book: Thai Yoga Massage : A Dynamic Therapy for Physical Well-Being and Spiritual Energy by Kam Thye Chow; and here's the link from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0892811463/sr=8-1/qid=1141848971/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-8966465-3967336?%5Fencoding=UTF8

it often comes with a DVD that demonstrates a sequence. the DVD is a 90 minute sequence, i believe. (i haven't watched the DVD.)
YogaMommy
Posted 2006-04-25 4:11 PM (#50473 - in reply to #45398)

Just wanted to let you know I got the Thai Yoga Massage book w/the CD. It's so great. I've used some of the BASIC techniques with my students in yoga class. I loved the foot and hand massage demos. Some of the moves for the back are great too, and good to use during a yoga class during childs pose, etc.

Carole

Posted 2006-04-27 12:07 PM (#50570 - in reply to #45398)

thai massage is really awesome. i'm starting to get involved with Tao Mountain (taomountian.org). they take a 'medical' or 'medicinal' approach to thai massage, rather than seeing it as a 'spa treatment' which is how it's mostly, currently being 'sold' in the US. So, it's a medicinal or healing modality through Tao Mountain, and quite honestly that's the way that i've always viewed it myself.

They have lots of great workshops, and i'm thinking of taking their august training in Va. hopefully, i'll be able to do it; afford it. we shall see. i haven't decided yet if i can. anyway, yeah. good organization. the materials that i've ordered from them are great.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)