YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I don't know what happened....
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

Rhachel
Posted 2006-03-07 5:58 PM (#46014)
Subject: I don't know what happened....

Saturday I was in class when my back started to tighten up in a couple of positions. I started to try to ease up. While everyone started working on their handstands, I was trying to find a position that wouldn't send shooting pain up my back. I ended up spending the rest of class on my back. I spent the the rest of the day moving really slowly. It is now Tuesday and I feel much better but I still pinches on the right side near my sacrum and I still can't to a forward bend without bending my knees.

I have never had anything like this happen to me. I'm not even sure how I did it. Does anyone know what I can do to get back to 100%?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-03-07 6:26 PM (#46016 - in reply to #46014)
Subject: RE: I don't know what happened....

give us a little something to work with...
did you notice any pops or clicks? what postures had you been doing in class previously? is the pain above or below the sacrum?
it could likely be a tweaked hip tendon if its below the sacrum. so much attaches down there...i was telling my friend libby that the sacrum is likely our 'greatest evolutionary defect'...so much attaches around there, everything will refer to that area eventually
that and our dang'ol big brains
try putting heat on it to stimulate circulation. or sit in a hot tub. that always helps me when i pinch my back.

Rhachel
Posted 2006-03-07 6:30 PM (#46018 - in reply to #46014)

I think it might have been after a twist, it wasn't an instant kind of pain, it kind of crept up on me. And the pain is below my sacrum.

Hope that helps, I wish I could get more specific but I really don't know what happened.
shnen
Posted 2006-03-08 8:12 AM (#46048 - in reply to #46014)

Could it be your SI joint?

heres some info:
http://www.vancouveryoga.com/anatomy_sacroilliac.html
Rhachel
Posted 2006-03-08 10:23 AM (#46066 - in reply to #46014)

I'm not sure what an SI Joint is.

It's feeling almost normal again. I'm headed to Pilates right now, so we'll see if that makes it better or worse.

shnen
Posted 2006-03-08 1:28 PM (#46083 - in reply to #46014)

That's why i posted the link

It has all the info on it... you shouldn't dismiss it since its feeling better, you should really research into what it could have been... but its up to you - For your SI joint, click on the link posted in my post above.
Rhachel
Posted 2006-03-08 1:39 PM (#46084 - in reply to #46014)

I swear I didn't see your link on there before. I was running out the door though so maybe I just didn't see it.

I don't know, I guess it could be my SI Joint. I my hamstrings are pretty strong and flexible though. I just came back from pilates where my instructor said it looked like I was favoring my right side. The only time I felt funny was when I raised my left leg up for a hamstring stretch. Once I was stretching it, it felt fine, but getting up there felt weird.

I do feel much better but I am trying to be very aware about my back so I won't make it worse again.

Posted 2006-03-08 3:24 PM (#46113 - in reply to #46014)

i'm right there with you, rachel...
in regards to not knowing what happened.
the other day i was practicing forward bends and twists, and during a revolved forward bend, something just felt like it pulled on the inside of my leg.
wasn't straining, had good alignment, even breathing, but i guess i was doing something wrong...

heres the funny thing...it almost feels like it was a move in the right direction. i've been having a lot of activity/instability in my hips and legs recently, and while my first instinct was "oh no, my tendon" it feels like it was a pull into alignment: nothing feels loose or clicky, i have increased awareness in my hips that i've never had before, and now i know what not to do in revolved forward bends.
injuries suck, no doubt about it. but they can be a valuable lesson on how your body moves and doesn't move. my idea is once i have an injury once, i'll know how never to have it again...
that doesn't keep me from finding new ways to hurt myself, though.
i'm a true pioneer in the field, you know?
Rhachel
Posted 2006-03-08 3:34 PM (#46115 - in reply to #46014)

It's funny you say that. Before I hurt myself that day I really felt like I was moving farther in my yoga than I had in a while. Maybe I just went a little too far.
shnen
Posted 2006-03-09 7:22 AM (#46193 - in reply to #46084)

Rhachel - 2006-03-08 1:39 PM

I swear I didn't see your link on there before. I was running out the door though so maybe I just didn't see it.

Thats ok Rhachel... when we are in ahurry we miss a lot of things!

There is also an article on the SI Joint on the Yoga Journal site... it talks about how different poses feel to you, and how to determine if it is the SI.

In the past 3 weeks I have run into about 4 people with SI issues, so that is why I suggested it - in the least bit - its good to be aware of it!

Glad you are feeling better.
Rhachel
Posted 2006-03-09 11:40 AM (#46247 - in reply to #46014)

I went to class this morning. It was the first time I'd done yoga since I hurt my back Saturday. I was a little worried because my left side was a little pinchy but I feel great now. I think I have been favoring my right side which was making it worse. Hopefully it won't come back again but I feel like new now!

Thanks for everyone's advice!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)