YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poll how should i deal with my resentment
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

ijcncm
Posted 2006-03-13 4:55 AM (#46488)
Subject: how should i deal with my resentment

hi to everyone!

i practise Hatha yoga.
it really makes changes in my life,also with few other things.
i began one year ago,with the ideaof weigh -loss,but then it turned on in something totally different.
now i just wanna incorporate the practise into my routine,but often i feel resentment,that really frustrates me.
i mean like inspite of the great way yoga makes me feel,i often procrastinate and than dicide not to do it.
any idea what does it mean and how to deal with it..i know it is not a constand desigion,rather consiquent choises..but i still am curious how comes the resentment and the stupid reasoning exacly for the things that seems to be extreamly emportant and enchasing for our lifes....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kabu
Posted 2006-03-13 9:28 AM (#46493 - in reply to #46488)
Subject: RE: how should i deal with my resentment

Well, I can only speak from my own experience. I find that when I start putting off or dreading a particular workout, dropping it and replacing it with something else helps a great deal. That doesn't mean, like in your case, dropping yoga completely. Maybe you can change things up a bit by trying a different type of yoga, or maybe you could add a new activity to your routine. For example, maybe try walking 3 days a week, yoga on other days...something like that.

Do you go to yoga classes? You could try that. Or if you already attend classes, maybe you could try another studio. Or perhaps treating yourself to a new yoga DVD might present you with a whole new routine and approach to the practice.

In other words, a little change might do you some good.
tourist
Posted 2006-03-13 10:00 AM (#46495 - in reply to #46488)

Expert Yogi

Tell us more about your practice - what style, how often, how long, how intense, what your teacher says about practice etc. Then we can be of more help. At one year of practice you are still quite a newcomer (I am over 5 years and teach and feel like a yoga baby sometimes!) so there are bound to be bumps and lulls. You work through them and usually have some new understanding of yourself on the other side The other possibility i stha tyou may be actually on the verge of learning something new about yourself and are not ready for it. Yoga does take us to the edge of the silence within and many of us get a little scared by that,
Ravi
Posted 2006-03-14 4:10 AM (#46571 - in reply to #46488)

I can say there are days that I want to just sit back and veg out, but I eventually force myself to the mat....and afterwards i am always glad that i did, which in turn keeps me coming back for more. This eventually becomes less and less of a battle of will, it may take quite some time so be persistent and consistent! enjoy your practice!
Debby
Posted 2006-03-14 12:33 PM (#46619 - in reply to #46488)

Wow, I know what you mean about feeling resentment. Sometimes I can't wait to get my mat out, other days I dread it. I usually feel better once I get started.
Some days I'm just tired -- so I may do only 1/2 hour instead of the time I usually spend.
I've also found that it is necessary for me to take a day or two off a week.

Yoga should be sometime you enjoy. I know a lot of folks that only do yoga in a classroom setting. I've played around and developed my own home practice, tried to make it fun.

Good luck and feel better!

Peace,
Deb
deuxchats
Posted 2006-03-15 4:53 AM (#46659 - in reply to #46488)
Subject: RE: how should i deal with my

Buddy system.

When I started doing yoga I would always lock myself in the living room with my kitten, who naps on the microwave that sits on a short bookshelf that I lay my mat in front of.

Whenever I was lazy and didn't want to be conscious of myself (or whenever I stopped between poses for water), I would usually try to direct all of my attention towards him, and be as loving as possible - (so I felt like I was using my energy for something good). So in the beginning, he got a *lot* of attention, and now he thinks its all about him.

As soon as I crawl out of the bedroom in the morning he's tethered to my feet until I close the living room door, when he promptly separates from me to go lay upon his 'altar' so that I can 'adore him'. If I don't show up - he makes weird cackly woodpecker noises all day.

Even on my most stiff and cranky mornings his companionship is brightening. Also, his flexibility and ability to relax completely is inspiring. Sometimes I attempt to copy his stretches for fun.

It's ridiculous - but it gets me on the mat every day, and keeps it interesting.
shnen
Posted 2006-03-16 8:36 AM (#46749 - in reply to #46488)

Try to keep your practise at the same time each day - and the days you don't feel like doing it - start out slow - and internalize - don't let your mind overcome the wonderful benefits you get from it. You will strengthen your mind and body each time you overcome the desire to not do it.

Look at the resentment as a challenge as well... you may find when going yoga it's not jsut a body thing... its a mind body spirit thing... so you should start to overcome the resentment with encouraging yourself to do your practise on those days.

Good Luck.
ijcncm
Posted 2006-03-17 5:56 AM (#46822 - in reply to #46488)

hi,thank you for the answers,they really give me encouragment.
the truth is i started yoga by a book and at that time i was living in a small town in Bulgaria,and i was going to school,but it happend to be so miraculously...at the beginning i remember standing long time tring to follow the descriptions of the asana movements..and then time after time i ws geting better and my own body gave me signals what is right,what makes the pose more demanding and so on...
then after six months i had very hard emotional time and i stopped.
now i sort of began again,and i reach very fast the level i was up to...but now i discover meditation and the holistic phylosophy of yoga.
i am in the Netherlands now,but my job doesnt allow me to go to yoga classes or maybe i am not ready yet.
yesterday i was making disstresing yoga,which doesnt take almost any effort and i found out that it is much harder for me than the regular yoga excersises ,that i do...
yeah,sitting stil and breathing,especially where there is no any music on,is the most challenging thing for me.
but here i understand also how important it is for me.
something in me tells me that what i really want to do in this life ,is to become yoga teacher and to teach in eastern eropean countries,and even though i dont know how am i gonna make it,i know that if i practise,the teacher will find me..
so resentment is something ishould deal with.
hope you understand the most important things and you could kind of quide me or support me with your advises!
shnen
Posted 2006-03-18 8:39 AM (#46902 - in reply to #46488)

good luck in your practise... and stay strong
bipinjoshi
Posted 2006-03-18 9:40 PM (#46991 - in reply to #46488)

Hi,
This is a common thing for many beginners. Ups and downs are part of Yoga practice. I suggest following things to my students:

1. Be determined. Always recollect and think about the benifits that you will get by practicing Yoga regularly. Decide that unless you finish Yoga you will not be taking your breakfast (or something similar).

2. Change sequence of various work items. For example, if a perticular posture is giving rise to dislike then keep it at the end.

3. Some people dislike the practise because of pain in joints and cramps. But the only way to overcome this fear is to practice and practice.

4. Do not think about your work place or work that you are supposed to do in the day ahead while practicing. People are eager to leave for their important work and in that eagerness skip the practice.

5. If dislike is too much then cut down the practice but never skip it totally.

jbaird
Posted 2006-03-30 4:07 PM (#48308 - in reply to #46488)

ijcncm,

Though I began instruction long ago, 25+ yrs, I consider myself a beginner. The only place in my routine I could find to fit a practice was first thing in morning.

My path to regualr practice was thru the Sun Salute series. It can be complete, can be fast, can be slow. Five minutes or twenty.

After enough time and enough reruns, each part of it becomes a place to rest. I do not think it has a bottom! Gradually I expanded my sun salute to include some other poses.

As soon as "day" begins, it feels like there's not time for stopping, but first thing in morning for me is by far the best.

nuclear_eggset
Posted 2006-03-30 7:24 PM (#48330 - in reply to #46488)

I find that I get into difficulty with my practice in two ways:
1. when I am having physical problems. I may appear to be a relatively healthy 27 year old, but if I listen to my body, there's a lot of yoga that I cannot do. hatha, yes, but a lot of what I love that I can't. that means taking it easy and not just listening to my body in the near term (what does it want today) but what does it need in the long term (how will it feel if I continue this for the next ten days).
2. if I don't go to class often enough. I enjoy being a lead at work, and at home, I often have to take the lead in decisions revolving around home-life between my husband and myself. (eh... he's a slacker! ;-) ) but I'm *not* naturally someone who wants to have control for everything in her hands - the responsibility is too much for me. so being able to go to class, and just 'play sheep' by following orders is important for my practice as well. it allows me to disengage my mind (don't have to think about what comes next in my practice), while still being interactive. (a dvd/cd isn't quite the same for me, for some reason.)
mike27
Posted 2006-07-01 1:01 PM (#57293 - in reply to #46488)

First of all, what do you think of your teacher. Some teachers know the mechanics of the various asanas, but dont project a positive atmosphere.

I am lucky, in that I have a great yoga teacher, who not only know the postures, but is very patient, serene and really, helps students who have problems. I take a hatha 2 class with her on Fridays, and beleive me, it is a real workout. Her aura, in want of a better word, makes it a pleasure.

Another possible problem could be your ego. My practice is far from perfect, and I am not as flexible as I would like to be. The idea is to play the edges, but never never cause youself real pain, My techer tells us that we can feel free to get into child's pose anytime we want.

The important thing is to stay in the present. The primary purpose of yoga is to get you into a meditative state. By the time I get to savassna, all the stess and tension gone and I can really enjoy 10 minutes of quiet meditation.

Posted 2006-08-13 2:50 AM (#61628 - in reply to #46488)

My dear yogi...If you do not want to do you practice then don't do your practice.
You are in no way obligated to yourself or to us to do yoga. For that matter you're not obligated to be a certain kind of yogi either. You get to choose. Evolution is now a choice. You can stay right where you are and it's perfectly fine. As long as you are making conscious choices.

I've had times off from my practice and times off from my teaching. And there is an ebb and flow. Each experience has teachings for us.

Are you motivated to brush your teeth? Take a shower? Get dressed? Are you motivated to eat? I mean if you are having some issues with eating and sleeping and emotions you might have mild depression. Otherwise the bigger question is what value do you place on yoga practice.
Shorten your practice. Do something in the morning. Five minutes of sitting where you center, Om if you do that. Then a simple Surya Namaskar. And pick one pose to do. After do savasana. Always make time for savasana. See if this helps you get the sense of "I practiced" without bumming you out.

ijcncm - 2006-03-12 1:55 AM

hi to everyone!

i practise Hatha yoga.
it really makes changes in my life,also with few other things.
i began one year ago,with the ideaof weigh -loss,but then it turned on in something totally different.
now i just wanna incorporate the practise into my routine,but often i feel resentment,that really frustrates me.
i mean like inspite of the great way yoga makes me feel,i often procrastinate and than dicide not to do it.
any idea what does it mean and how to deal with it..i know it is not a constand desigion,rather consiquent choises..but i still am curious how comes the resentment and the stupid reasoning exacly for the things that seems to be extreamly emportant and enchasing for our lifes....

Edited by purnayoga 2006-08-13 3:00 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)