YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shiatsu vs. Tuina
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Massage -> Oriental MassageMessage format

mkotya
Posted 2006-03-27 11:11 PM (#47972)
Subject: Shiatsu vs. Tuina

I am interested if anyone can describe the difference between Shiatsu and Tuina massage in a nutshell. I have a fairly good understanding of what a Shiatsu massage is, but have no idea what Tuina is and how it differs from Shiatsu. Any comparative info on this is appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-03-28 1:20 AM (#47979 - in reply to #47972)
Subject: RE: Shiatsu vs. Tuina

Tui na is Chinese for "pushing and pulling". Tui Na is encompassed within orthopedics of Chinese Medicine. A traditional Tui Na massage does NOT require you to take off your clothes. Every practitioner is different but basically joints are "opened" with gentle traction (pulling and stretching).

Shiatsu is a Japanese tradition that also passively stretches the recipient as well as applies acupressure along the body's meridians. You can keep your clothes on for this, too.

Whenever I've had Tui Na, I've always been lying on a massage table and the massage was for 30 - 50 minutes.

Whenever I've has Shiatsu (or Thai Massage), I've had the choice of lying on the floor or on a massage table. I think the floor is better not only for the massage practitioner but also for maximun enjoyment. Some of the positions the Shiatsu therapist gets me into remind me of yoga poses. Once I'm in the poses, which the practitoner physically supports, the practitioner may provide acupressure on specific areas. The Shiatsu massage always takes longer, maybe an hour and a half. I believe the schooling required for Shiatsu massage is longer than Tui Na by a few years. I could be wrong on this.

Anyway, both are enjoyable and beneficial. Neither use oil, like a Swedish massage. I think if I had a specific injury, I might go with Tui Na. But, if I could afford it I would get a Shiatsu massage once a month for "maintenance".
Cyndi
Posted 2006-03-28 7:55 AM (#47995 - in reply to #47979)

Expert Yogi

I go for medical Tui Na's. There is a difference in China between a medical and a regular Tui Na. A regular Tui Na is one that a regular person would give such as in a massage parlor or whatever. A medical one is specific to whatever ailment or disorder you may have at the time of the massage. Tui Na goes hand in hand with the complete treatment of Traditional Chinese Medicine which could include some if not all, acupuncture, herbs, moxibustion, tui na, acupressure etc. My weekly hour sessions with my TCMD consists of all of the above with the exception of moxibustion as that is not needed for any of my conditions at the present moment. Once I had a severe kidney/bladder disfunction..moxibustion did wonders for clearing that up when *western* medicine failed.

As for Shiatsu....I feel the Japanese version stems from the traditional Tui Na, although I'm not that familiar with it, me and my doctor discuss it all the time. Lately my TCMD has been using the Japanese acupuncture needles for me which I like much better. So, I would like to think that the Japanese refined TCM and made it with a different quality, not necessarily better than, but just with a slightly different twist. Chinese Medicine if you can find the right doctor is one of the most brilliant forms of medicine and is pretty dam good especially when you deal with your disorders/ailments/diseases in the early stages. It also works in the advanced stages, but just takes a little bit more time.
Nick
Posted 2006-04-17 8:47 AM (#49824 - in reply to #47972)

Hi Mkotya,
I haven't got a clue, but bulgakov's 'the master and marguerita' is one of my all time favourites!
bye take care!
Nick
Balen
Posted 2006-04-25 2:17 PM (#50465 - in reply to #47972)

Very few people in my area know enough to give a full Tuina massage. I know one person who dose and when it is over she also cups. The push and pull of Tuina I feel goes deeper in a differnt way than Shiatsu. I think it is better for toxins within the body. Shiatsu is instant more than Tuina of a given muscle or muscle group. My 2 cents
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)