YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Who am I - the three bodies
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga as Self-RealizationMessage format

bipinjoshi
Posted 2006-05-05 2:29 AM (#51351)
Subject: Who am I - the three bodies

Hi Friends,
Next post of an on-going series of articles:

Who am I - understanding nature of bodies
===============================
Since the time immortal the man is seeking answer to this question - Who am I? Those who engage themselves only in the material world identify themselves with some or the other non-permanent thing. We point to our body and say - "this is me". However, scriptures strongly deny this idea and proclaim that the real you is not the bodies or sheaths or states of mind but are ever existing consciousness full of bliss.

http://www.binaryintellect.info/articles/displayarticle.aspx?id=10
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-05 10:36 AM (#51377 - in reply to #51351)
Subject: RE: Who am I - the three bodies

great bipinji.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-05 11:04 AM (#51381 - in reply to #51351)

I enjoy reading these sort of explanations

I only wonder if these time honored concepts are actual truth or perception of an enlightened conciousness

either way, good for practice and helpful

kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-05 2:06 PM (#51402 - in reply to #51351)

Dear SCThornley: I respect and value your question. What happens in this matter is exactly same as that in any other matter such as Physics, Mathematics, etc.

That is someone has experience, they state, then others learn, and the others can verify.

However, in material science such as Physics, and Mathematics, you can verify immediately. For example if I tell you that you will laugh when you smell laughing gas, you can smell it and start laughing.

But, even in Physics, the matters are not that easy. For example, I tell you that this block of wood is made of small atoms, then also you can start laughing. Like the world laughed at Galilio and Kopurnicus. However, when one invents electron microscope after years of research, then one cand and then others can see the atoms.

In Spiritual matters, the things are more difficult. And, there you need different methodology, different instruments, and without financial rewards at times, and discipline (Did you know that Galilio was a bad eater and suffered for it regardless of his Physics knowledge. NOT so in Yoga! You can not be glutton and be a Yogi.), etc. And, then only you can perceive these Truths.

However, to start with someone has to state them. Others not experiencing them do not make them NON - Truths. And, also unless one accepts them as truth one can not practice towards them. (catch 22).

SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-05 2:37 PM (#51405 - in reply to #51402)

kulkarnn - 2006-05-05 2:06 PM

However, to start with someone has to state them. Others not experiencing them do not make them NON - Truths. And, also unless one accepts them as truth one can not practice towards them. (catch 22).

I didn't mean to imply that I wasn't experiencing these perceptions,
and
I didn't mean to imply that I foster any disagreement with or dissent toward the explanation,

I just wondered if what I was perceiving (experiencing) was real and true or was it just the way my mind or soul or combination of what I am communicates it to me-am I seeing it like it is or am I looking at the reflection of the reality(or something completely unconsidered)?

Cogito, ergo sum (not objectively verifiable--Williams argument)

but just because I think or perceive---does it really make it so?

Or could it be that there is more to it than what I think I comprehend---I've always felt that this was the safest assumption to make, being I am what I am, nothing more, possibly less, hopefully with the potential for more.

Peace to you and yours

Edited by SCThornley 2006-05-05 2:47 PM
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-05 2:45 PM (#51406 - in reply to #51351)

I'd like to think/believe that we are all one

but I don't know it

and a lot of perceptions go contrary to what I'd like to believe
bipinjoshi
Posted 2006-05-05 10:54 PM (#51460 - in reply to #51377)
Subject: RE: Who am I - the three bodie

kulkarnn - 2006-05-05 9:36 AM

great bipinji.

Thanks a ton Neel. Words from experts like you are certainly encouraging to me.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-05 11:35 PM (#51465 - in reply to #51351)

Dear SCThornley: I saw your point of view and the intent of the question. This is the explanation:

- When one knows something and that is the actual truth, but one stil does not know fully that it is the truth, one should follow the words of Shastras - the previous great soul --shruta

--- When one does not have access to the Shastras or previous or present great soul then one should follow their best deduction or guess if you will -- anuman

-- when one completely knows that what he knows is the truth, that is called the perfected truth... ruta

-- When one practices spirituality for a prolonged time, the nature of mind takes a form of perfected truth.. rutambhara prajna

-- and the knowledge obtained by the ruta prajna is the ONLY true knowledge, all other knowledge by intellectual understanding, deductions, hearing is NOT true knowledge...

shrutanumanaprajnyabhyaamanyawishaya vishesharthatvat.... the knowledge obtained due to ruta prajjna is different from that from scriputures and deductions...patanjali

.. Now, when that knowledge also is surpassed that is when no perception of material world exists, then only one gets the REAL REAL True knowledge, that is of the formless. And, the knowledge of the Brahman is the only true knowledge. All other things are unreal. This is obtained only in Nirbija samadhi.

tajjassanskaronya sanskar pratibandhi. tasyapi nirodhe sarvanirodhanirbijassamadhih... patanjali ch2 ..end

Thus, to summarize: All knowledge is relatively true. And, one has to believe at their own level what is true. And, then later when the final truth is known, all other becomes unreal, or specially real, or relatively real.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-06 9:44 AM (#51488 - in reply to #51351)

REAL!!I like the way you explain it

sounds a little like faith

thanks for the explanation

I still wonder though, if there is life on other planets, have those lifeforms on other planets come to the same conclusions about the REAL Truth?

But that's outer space and the inner space is what seems to be the concern of so much study--inner space seems just as infinite

Edited by SCThornley 2006-05-06 9:58 AM
Doug
Posted 2006-06-01 7:31 PM (#54562 - in reply to #51351)

SCT, although I haven't experienced all the bodies I can say that the masters know what they are talking about. As my meditation and yoga becomes more mature every thing I read and hear manifests. For example: when I heard about qi or prana, and I didn't feel it, I thought it was just a concept, but when I actually fealt it I knew it was real. When I heard that it could be consciously channeled through the body, I thought mabe that's just an expression. Then when I channeled it for the first time I knew it was true(that feeling is different from imaging). When I heard people could pass their chi body into other people, I thought that was just mind control, then when I accidentally did it for the first time(and it was very strong) I knew it was true. As for visual evidence, the chi body can be seen,as Neel mentioned('you can not be a glutton to be a yogi,and you can perceive these truths'-paraphrased), if your diet is clean,or if you look hard enough. This is just the first body outside the physical body. The causal body is the body related to time and space. This is more subtle in vibratory frequency.Here you can see the see the energies responsible for the laws of cause and effect. The Taoists perceive eight energetic bodies.
judamom
Posted 2006-07-15 2:49 PM (#58763 - in reply to #51405)

I love to think and imagine.......sometimes when another seems to "know" they take the fun away from my thinking and experiencing for myself. I usually do not need anothers answers and truth but to find those who will simply ---throw out thoughts and let everyone come to their own conclusions for their own fun---is nearly impossible to come by. C.S. thornley--you come across as one who just enjoys discovering answers for yourself, but likes to throw out ideas for entertainment. Good for you!
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-15 5:21 PM (#58773 - in reply to #58763)

judamom - 2006-07-15 2:49 PM

I love to think and imagine.......sometimes when another seems to "know" they take the fun away from my thinking and experiencing for myself. I usually do not need anothers answers and truth but to find those who will simply ---throw out thoughts and let everyone come to their own conclusions for their own fun---is nearly impossible to come by. C.S. thornley--you come across as one who just enjoys discovering answers for yourself, but likes to throw out ideas for entertainment. Good for you!

Whew!

good, sometimes i wonder just how it all comes across
tourist
Posted 2006-07-15 9:07 PM (#58784 - in reply to #58773)

Expert Yogi

Yes judamom, I agree. I love this kind of thinking, of throwing ideas out and seeing if it makes sense to anyone else. Green Jello is also good at this. I am always happy to have my brain turned on by a provocative thought, question or idea
Darin Hamel
Posted 2006-09-05 4:28 PM (#63692 - in reply to #51351)

1-So is the subtle body what we experience when we have an out-of-body-experience and we cant be seen, we can walk through walls and fly?

2-I had a tiny body come out of my forehead, was that the Causal?

I had alot of OBE's but they all stopped when I started to meditate hardcore. They ended when that tiny body came out of my forehead. then fifty days later I had a vision of everything made of light and was basically one with everything. I knew and was everything but it was only temporary.

What is the vision at the top of the head that looks like a flaming cross with yin/yang looking things in its arms, on a blue background with something like a rainbow hued radiance all around that? Any clue?
SCThornley
Posted 2006-09-05 4:33 PM (#63693 - in reply to #51351)

sounds like a skateboard sticker
Darin Hamel
Posted 2006-09-05 4:42 PM (#63697 - in reply to #63693)

SCThornley - 2006-09-05 4:33 PM

sounds like a skateboard sticker

Similar symbols are the falun and I have seen a stained glass window at a church that looked like what I saw. The priest said it was a stylized "Ezekiels Wheel". It would make a cool sticker. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever saw. It was like I was seeing some sort of psychic vision of the internal energies of the brain centered on the pineal maybe.

That little body used to travel all through out my body usually with the feeling of blasting through a tunnel. I saw something like reverberating luminous quicksilver in my spine. I saw a showering of red sparks once that turned into a thing like an amber glow. It was like the tiny body was in my belly and trying to get into my head and at every different stage or level it passed through a new light which was just a psychic vision of a part of my body. I know, sounds weird...
SCThornley
Posted 2006-09-06 8:48 AM (#63758 - in reply to #51351)

please,

go on.

Darin Hamel
Posted 2006-09-06 9:42 AM (#63764 - in reply to #63758)

SCThornley - 2006-09-06 8:48 AM

please,

go on.

I'm done. The...is a literary device to mean I could go on but it would take too long and ultimately its not really needed.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-09-06 11:21 AM (#63787 - in reply to #51351)

OIC

too bad, things were just starting to get interesting

Edited by SCThornley 2006-09-06 11:22 AM
Darin Hamel
Posted 2006-09-06 3:24 PM (#63811 - in reply to #51351)

The more I think about it I think the tiny body coming out of the forehead is just a refinement of the subtle body. I have plotted it on the tree of life and the full flower/fruit of life and that seems to make the most sense.

I think I read somewhere also that the causal body makes the physical one give off visible light too. So since I am not doing that it another hint its just the subtle body.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-09-06 3:33 PM (#63814 - in reply to #51351)

so

you do any japa with your meditation?

Darin Hamel
Posted 2006-09-06 8:41 PM (#63840 - in reply to #63814)

SCThornley - 2006-09-06 3:33 PM

so

you do any japa with your meditation?

Whats japa? Nowadays, I usually just meditate on the mysteries of the Rosary. I burn incense at home, but I spend about 4 hours a day before the Blessed Sacrament meditating and I am whats called a daily communicant.
Darin Hamel
Posted 2006-09-06 9:39 PM (#63843 - in reply to #51351)

I googled "japa" and I guess I do a variation of it. Alot of folks consider the rosary a mantra meditation.
ATPEACE01
Posted 2006-09-22 12:48 AM (#65001 - in reply to #63758)

please,help me to find myself

go on.

SCThornley
Posted 2006-09-22 8:40 AM (#65020 - in reply to #65001)

ATPEACE01 - 2006-09-22 12:48 AM

please,help me to find myself

go on.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread