YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any Teachers here?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kundalini YogaMessage format

Angad
Posted 2006-05-05 11:42 AM (#51387)
Subject: Any Teachers here?

I am planning on doing a teacher training and am wondering about the value of a particular certification vs another.

Yoga Alliance vs. International Kundalini YogaTeachers Association .
My practice is in the 3H0 community.. I could be trained by my local teachers and be IKYTA..

But I am looking at a training that is not cerified by IKYTA... and wondering.. ??
Its probably wisest to stay with my community.. but does anyone have any thoughts on the value of who is certifying me?

Thank You.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
KundaliniGeni
Posted 2006-05-05 12:07 PM (#51390 - in reply to #51387)
Subject: RE: Any Teachers here?

Hey there Angad. As I was curious to find this answer myself so I looked into it a little bit. I can't actually find anywhere that clearly says that the International Kundalini Yoga Teachers Association certifies teachers. When I took a look at their website (which I think is kundaliniyoga.com - that’s what came up on my Google search) it seems to be just an association - not a school. I think you should consider who is certifying you and I would try and make sure the school you take teacher training from is registered with YA.

Edited by KundaliniGeni 2006-05-05 12:08 PM
Angad
Posted 2006-05-05 12:20 PM (#51393 - in reply to #51390)

all my teachers are IKYTA certified... I am in a 3HO community and each one has a statement about their certification.

I expect who certifies someone to teach might influence where the teacher will teach.

The Yoga Alliance.. I know nothing about, but I bet is a more generaly accepted certification.
I could go more public places and teach..
However, I am knit into 3HO community, so that I expect if I want to teach in my group, my work will need their blessing.. = IKYTA..

I am looking at a 23 day training in Hawaii when this question came up. I would love to go.. but its not IKYTA.... it is YA
My 3HO community is very supportive of me and would be my place to teach I was trained within their requirements..
Its definately a question for me to think about.

Edited by Angad 2006-05-05 12:28 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-05 1:59 PM (#51401 - in reply to #51387)

Hey Angad: I was amazed to see your terminology:

YA Vs IKYTA!

What is meant by verses?

I do not think you have to worry whether either or both of them certify you. What you should worry is whether you know Yoga, practice Yoga and are able to teach Yoga.

If you want to be certified immediately, come to me, and I shall verify whether you do all the three above. If I find that you do, I shall certify you right away, and I can guarantee you that you will get a good response to your teaching. But, let me tell you that above 3 are NOT easy to come by.

Best Luck
Angad
Posted 2006-05-05 2:31 PM (#51404 - in reply to #51387)

Thank you Neel.

your 3 questions are the most important and I do believe I would qualify on all 3 accounts.
Each being a daily process...
I am learning the "knowing" and of course that will never end.. I know a bit more than some, a lot less than others.. I am an aware student and practioner with 45 years of experience in dance and movement arts.
I ve been doing yoga 10 years..plus... , have a good understanding of the body and postures practice for sharing with others from Hatha. I have taught.

But I have more to learn about the Kundalini Yoga and I want to fast track it .. this I want out of my OWN passion/love to learn everything.. Then, I know I will want to share. I love the learning and it excites me to pass it on.

Are you saying.. forget the certification?

I am not planning on an independent studio. My town is yoga city...
If I taught
I would teach at my Gurdwara, or my upscale health club ...
Training and cerifications count at both places...

I was looking at a month intensive training and noticed a discussion about who did or did not certify the teachers coming out of the training.. so the questions came up..

.. so I ask.

But I agree with your 3 requirements... but on that basis I still would value a qualified second opinion to back me up if I did teach.. I definately have had enough teachers who did not KNOW enough and were teaching... certified and all..

I know I wont beable to teach Kundalini without training unless I move into the woods somewhere.

Edited by Angad 2006-05-05 2:39 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-05 11:17 PM (#51462 - in reply to #51387)

Now, I looked at your original question from better angle. And also I am looking at your current post. This is what is my response now:

- You are already a Yoga Teacher, and you do not need any certification. You may need more Yoga Teaching experience. NOT certification.

- Yes, you should forget certification.

- If you are sold on teaching one particular style and want to teach at one particular place, you have to do what they ask you at that place. So, there is nothing to ask the people outside that place. (For example, if I wish to teach Physics in Harvard, I should ask them what I need, not others).

- As for the two certifications you mentioned, you should choose the more general one if you are sold on the Certification Idea.

Best wishes
Angad
Posted 2006-05-06 11:17 AM (#51498 - in reply to #51462)

Good Morning Neel.
Thank you for more thoughts...

No matter - if I want to know more, my teachers will tell me to take the "self mastery-teacher training" (and a lot of other stuff) (not to teach, but just to know and deepen)
And in this particular yogic practice I would agree its necessary. The kundlini practice is so disorganized (at least to my eye) that I havent a clue of the why's and wherefores and the what elses and the who knows whats...about it.
Despite that ... the practice lights my heart and makes sense to my spirit if not my mind... it fits in between my cells. its mysterious and it works and its home.
Every Saturday morning I take a class with a particular woman and every Saturday morning I Know.. this is what I will do.
(not too surprising, she is a teacher of teachers and Sat Nam Rasayan practioner and teacher... she would be my teacher )

so its Saturday right now.. I am off to class.

Have a good day, thank you for your reply.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)