YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poll Business Start Up - Teachers Sought
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

yogaluva
Posted 2006-05-11 7:51 AM (#52065)
Subject: Business Start Up - Teachers Sought

Namaste to y'all,

Am working on starting a yoga studio business. Am however not clear on how to go about doing some things and am hoping i can get some guidance from y'all.
How do studios get their teachers? what is the business agreement btwn a studio & a teacher - is the teacher an employee of the studio who is payed a salary or a sub/independent contractor hired on an hourly wage? which one is better?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-05-11 10:49 AM (#52091 - in reply to #52065)
Subject: RE: Business Start Up - Teachers Sought

Expert Yogi

Our studio started with a group of teachers so we didn't have to find any more. We work as sub contractors (the studio is a non-profit association) as it is better tax-wise for the teachers and saves a few hassles for the studio. I am in Canada so the rules won't be identical but I am sure it is similar in the US.

Posted 2006-05-11 12:24 PM (#52116 - in reply to #52065)

most studios get teachers through word-of-mouth. for example, someone said to me 'did you hear that jack's opening a tsudio?" and i said, "no, i hadn't" and then they give me jack's number and i call jack and he interviews me and hires me or doesn't.

the other way that it's happened is that the business owner takes a number of yoga classes at a variety of places with a variety of teachers. And then, at the end of class, they ask the teacher if they have room in their schedule to teach another class. negotiations begin and they either get the job or they don't. i've had this happen on a number of occassions.

the third way that i've gotten jobs is when a studio or business owner calls a yoga studio that offers a teacher training and then asks that studio to advertise the job opening among their teachers-in-training and their teachers. Then, the teachers can go and apply for those jobs.

i work as an independent contractor.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-11 10:47 PM (#52213 - in reply to #52065)
Subject: RE: Business Start Up - Teache

yogaluva: Namaste to y'all, Am working on starting a yoga studio business. Am however not clear on how to go about doing some things and am hoping i can get some guidance from y'all.
How do studios get their teachers? what is the business agreement btwn a studio & a teacher - is the teacher an employee of the studio who is payed a salary or a sub/independent contractor hired on an hourly wage? which one is better? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

===> Dear Yogaluva: Please do not be offended, with what I am saying. The fact that you are asking this particular question means that you are NOT ready to start a studio. What I mean is: Complete all your preparatory work first, and then only start the studio. And, be prepared for one thing: That you may NOT make any profit. If you are NOT prepared for this, do not start the studio. I do not wish you go in loss. I actually wish you go in profit. But, when you start a Yoga Studio, profit and loss should appear same to you. Otherwise, just teach at someone's studio yourself.

Best Luck.
yogaluva
Posted 2006-05-12 7:49 AM (#52259 - in reply to #52065)

Thank you all sooo very much for your words of wisdom.
@tourist - how do you pull off your studio as a non-profit? do you give free classes? am just curious coz i would think (my 2cts) that if you don't have charitable work going on in your business then it's not a non-profit - Please set me straight coz a gal is in the dark here:-))

@zoebird - without being too personal....LOL...what kind of contract do you have with the studio/gym you contract at? Any idea where i can get a sample contract for a yoga instructor?

@kulkarnn - no offense taken - i take any advice i can get and starting a studio is just like starting any other business - it requires a tone load of research so a gal has to start somewhere...right...and what better place than right here:-)

tourist
Posted 2006-05-12 10:55 AM (#52301 - in reply to #52259)

Expert Yogi

Ira - we formed a non-profit society that runs the studio. Non-profit does not mean that nobody gets paid, just that our motive is not making money for a group or individual. In Canada at least (and I am sure there are similar rules in the US and elsewhere) you can be a non-profit and have a certain amount of money in the bank. Actually, you have to have some money ahead to cover emergencies and rent etc. to be fiscally responsible to your members, who don't want to sudenly be in the cold and dark if you didn't pay the electric bill. You can also save money for things like buying your own building etc. but the government does keep an eye on such things and if you are a non-profit and have gajillions of $$ just sitting in the bank you can get in trouble.

So the teachers do get paid (very well, I believe) and we pay for bookkeeping and other professional services that we don't have the volunteer power to do. We do give some free classes and hold some events that are free for members.
Yogeeraj
Posted 2006-09-22 4:26 PM (#65107 - in reply to #52065)

I am Founder and Director of “Yoga Sanskar Niketan” Mumbai, India, and having Fitness/Exercise/Gym back-ground too!

I train/teach/conduct the Yoga classes/work-shops/seminars based on Patanjali Yoga/Hatha Yoga for different ailments/diseases for the benefits of the community members.

I can help you to find out female Yoga Teachers. Send me your requirements.
Give details about salary, residence, Visa, air-fare, agreement/bond etc. as early as possible!

We can start on “Joint venture” Yoga studio on sitable profit sharing basis
Do not hesitate to contact me for any further information!

ramyam
Posted 2009-01-27 3:19 AM (#113198 - in reply to #52065)

I am very much interested in yoga ,i decided to start yoga school,but i am not that much familiar from this ,but i have little bit idea after read this forum,yoga is useful and dedicative field .....

===========
Ramya

Business Opportunities
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)