YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

neck/backbends
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

shanta68
Posted 2006-05-11 1:00 PM (#52125)
Subject: neck/backbends

When I attempt any pose where the head hangs back (like in a backbend!) everything is fine until I try comming out of the position, when violent nausea and dizziness happens to the point of almost passing out. So I no longer attempt backbends! Have asked my primary physician why this is happening (did not used to be the case) and her response is "just don't do it!" Anyone have ideas about what may be the cause? Experienced something similar? If so, does it ever "get better"?

One disk in the neck has one disintegrated, have a torn rotator cuff and carpal tunnel, can't imagine that as impact on the neck but who knows?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-11 3:40 PM (#52145 - in reply to #52125)
Subject: RE: neck/backbends

i used to get nose bleeds doing inverted postures

but that stopped

I'm wondering, how is your breathing during the back bend?

do you have a teacher?
tourist
Posted 2006-05-11 7:50 PM (#52184 - in reply to #52125)

Expert Yogi

shanta - what kind of backbends? Are you doing urdhva dhanurasana (upward bow) and things like that? Or are you doing supported back bends a la Iyengar? Usually people who have nausea are holding and tightening somewhere, even though they are not aware of it. If you have that many injuries, you are surely holding somewhere to protect yourself - with good reason I might add! How are you in back bends such as upward dog? If you are not able to do the "big" backbends for awhile there are many other ways to get similar benefits.
Nick
Posted 2006-05-12 12:12 AM (#52221 - in reply to #52125)

Hi Shanta,
I'm also a doctor of chiropractic as well as a yoga teacher. There could be several causes of your dizziness, and it could be non-harmful (say if the vestibular apparatus in the inner ear is stimulated by you hanging your head back), or it could be very serious (the disc inthe neck may have caused pinching of the artery that supplies the brain (which goes up through holes in the neck vertebra). This needs to be checked out.
But your physician is right-dont hang your head back-could be dangerous, and anyway, many people experience problems with this movement-because it's not actually good for the neck-when you look up try to support the curve of the neck so that it doesnt crunch up,
Just saw that you had carpal tunnel as well-is this because of your neck problem?
Nick
shanta68
Posted 2006-05-16 5:58 PM (#52836 - in reply to #52145)

breathing? to busy being sick!
shanta68
Posted 2006-05-16 6:00 PM (#52837 - in reply to #52184)

No problem with upward bow and upward dog. Suggestions for how to get similar benefits? Thanks.
shanta68
Posted 2006-05-16 6:10 PM (#52839 - in reply to #52221)

I think the carpel/tunnel is related to the neck/disc problem but the orthopedic surgen dosen't necessarily agree and thinks I need surgery for carpel/tunnel (not going to do it, not yet anyway). Thanks for the feedback, will talk more to physician re why is it happening.
Nick
Posted 2006-05-16 6:34 PM (#52840 - in reply to #52837)

Hi shanta,
What do you call upward bow? In iyengar yoga this is called urdvha dhanurasana-sometimes called the bridge or wheel-is that the posture you mean?
Nick
Nick
Posted 2006-05-16 6:35 PM (#52841 - in reply to #52839)

Hi shanta,
in your first post you said the problem was in all back-bends, but then said that upward bow and dog were no problem-is the problem in specific back-bends?
Take care
Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)