YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga in Dubai (UAE)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

cerise
Posted 2006-05-12 3:43 PM (#52326)
Subject: yoga in Dubai (UAE)

It seems there are no good teachers in Dubai. Anybody has any idea ? Any name ?
Thank you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-05-12 6:40 PM (#52339 - in reply to #52326)
Subject: RE: yoga in Dubai (UAE)

Expert Yogi

Nice to see you Cerise Maybe I should put on these because it is always sunny in Dubai
cerise
Posted 2006-05-12 11:47 PM (#52354 - in reply to #52326)

Hi, Tourist !
jonnie
Posted 2006-05-14 2:13 AM (#52503 - in reply to #52326)

Hi Cerise,

I have lived in Dubai for a while now and practise Ashtanga and Iyengar and would be happy to recommend my teachers to you. You haven't mentioned a preference but in my experience Dubai has quite a strong yoga scene with everything from the above two styles to a strong Sivananda following, Bikram's and a wide variety of non descript Hatha classes.

It's a shame I didnt see your post earlier as last week there was a three day workshop with Jawahar Bangera, one of Mr. Iyengar's senior instructors and head teacher of the Mumbai Iyengar Institute. It was really excellent.
cerise
Posted 2006-05-15 9:24 AM (#52633 - in reply to #52326)

Dear Jonnie,

Thank you for your post. I did not think my post would get a reply, and it did! I am looking for a good instructor(s) whichever the style. Iyengar, Sivananda, Vivekananda, Bikram (maybe less) ... as long as the teacher is dedicated and the classes are good and not for beginners (we all are beginners, however, I think you understand what I mean, classes for people who have been practising yoga for a while).

Hence, I would be happy to receive a PM from you with your suggestions and to share with you my experience so far.

Looking forward to reading you.
jonnie
Posted 2006-05-15 10:02 AM (#52637 - in reply to #52633)

Hi Cerise,

I practise Iyengar three/four times a week with Azita (Iranian) and Djoeke (Dutch). Djoeke is the 'official' Iyengar teacher in the UAE and organises all the workshops and runs the teacher training. Azita arrived in Dubai about six months ago after practising with the Iyengars in Pune for the last eight years or so and is really excellent. I recommend both teachers but they are tough and demand a lot from their students (which I love!!). My Ashtanga teacher left Dubai a few months ago to return to the States and for the moment there is a small group of us who meet in Safa park on Friday mornings for self practise of the primary series. I am currently completing Brian Cooper's Ashtanga teacher training at the Ashtanga Centre in Scotland and am due to finish in June. I want to then start teaching weekly Ashtanga classes....

Are you currently practising now?

Jonathon

cerise
Posted 2006-05-15 2:19 PM (#52657 - in reply to #52326)

Jonnie,

I sent you a PM. Did you get it ? Thanks
jonnie
Posted 2006-05-15 2:54 PM (#52660 - in reply to #52657)

yes thanks. I had problems trying to work the PM. It wouldnt leave my out box for some reason!!!
livelikeyogi
Posted 2006-05-30 1:48 AM (#54237 - in reply to #52326)

This is Jitender Singh (M-26) here from Chandigarh India...........interested to work as Yoga Teacher......

I am a Graduate from Panjab University, Chandigarh.........Bachelor Degree in Physical Education (D.P.Ed.) from Punjabi University, Patiala (Pb.)..........Master in Physical Education (M.P.Ed) from Deptt.of Phy.Edu., Panjab University, Chandigarh............NIS (YOGA) certificate Course in Sports Coaching.........Freelancer with (NIE) Times of India.............Joint Secretary, Chandigarh Yoga Association (Redg.).................International & National level Qualified Yoga Judge..........Recent judgements : 13th International Yoga Festival, Pondicherry Govt. ,,,,, All India Inter-University Yoga Championship, Udaipur (Rajasthan) ,,,,, 24th National Yoga CHampionship, Kurukshetra .............Experience of Coaching Yoga Sports........... Manager-Coach in national & International Level Yoga Tournaments..........Teaching Yoga.........Conducting Yoga clasess and Yoga Therapy for Treatments...............NCC 'B' & 'C' Certificate Holder............Secretary, Mountaineering & Allied Sports Association (Redg.), Chandigarh................Achievements as a Yoga Player (including many All India Inter-University Championship & National Yoga Championship participations), Cyclist & a gymnastics.........Cultural interests in playing Musical Synthesyzer & Participating in Bhangra (Folk dance of Punjab State)............Specialization Subjects during Master Course (M.P.Ed.) :Yoga,Football, Hockey & Swimming.
Waiting for your reply
Email: yog_is_life@yahoo.co.in
GraceY
Posted 2006-08-22 7:24 AM (#62345 - in reply to #52637)

Hi Jonnie, it seems you are the yoga connection in Dubai! I just recently moved here and am finding it difficult to find a good yoga instructor and/or class. I emailed Djoeke, but perhaps she is away?? Do you have the contact information for Azita or any other. I live a bit out of the way, in Arabian Ranches, but am willing to make the trek if worthwhile. I would appreciate any advice or info you could provide. Thanks!!
sivaram
Posted 2006-08-23 1:18 AM (#62516 - in reply to #52503)

jonnie - 2006-05-15 3:13 PM

I have lived in Dubai for a while now and practise Ashtanga and Iyengar and would be happy to recommend my teachers to you. You haven't mentioned a preference but in my experience Dubai has quite a strong yoga scene with everything from the above two styles to a strong Sivananda following, Bikram's and a wide variety of non descript Hatha classes.

It's a shame I didnt see your post earlier as last week there was a three day workshop with Jawahar Bangera, one of Mr. Iyengar's senior instructors and head teacher of the Mumbai Iyengar Institute. It was really excellent.

Dear Jonnie,

Can you possibly tell us what the average yoga teacher salary is in Dubai? Would be very helpful is you could post that info. Thanks...

Yoga Freak
Posted 2006-08-25 2:30 AM (#62833 - in reply to #62516)

Hi,
As Jonnie has mentioned earlier, there are really good yoga teachers here in Dubai. Here are some whom I've tried and liked. Sivananda: Anand at Shangri La hotel; Della at the Lake and Fitness First; Kadija at Jumeira beach club and Wafi I think. I'm going to attend Nelson's classes from September, however, almost ecerybody says he's good (he teaches at Jumeira beach hotel and Dubai Marina). I also attend Sacha's Ashtanga classes at the Inform Studio in Media city and like her teaching. I practised Bikram for 6 months too, all the instructors are good. (6 months was enough for Bikram, I guess.) So, if you have any questions that I can answer regarding the teachers and styles I have mentioned, do not hesitate -I'll be glad of any help.
Yoga Freak
Posted 2006-08-25 2:37 AM (#62836 - in reply to #62516)

To Jonnie,
I guess you're back in Dubai, unless you've decided to escape the heatwaves! Can you keep us posted on the yoga workshops in Dubai? Though I am serious about yoga myself and attend many classes in different places, I do not hear about people coming to the town for a brief workshop like the one you mentioned on Iyengar. Thanks a lot. How did the teacher training end? Are you teching now?
Cheers,
cerise
Posted 2006-09-03 5:49 AM (#63498 - in reply to #52326)

A very very good name in yoga in Dubai is: Azita in Jumeirah (Wasl). Her mobile is 050 7195658. She is very dedicated and found her excellent in teaching. Apparently, she spent many years learning yoga with B.K.S. Iyengar, Geeta and Prashant in Pune. She is even known in Europe. I would recommend this lady.
Yoga Freak
Posted 2006-09-06 12:21 PM (#63789 - in reply to #63498)

Thanks Cerise a lot for the info. Actually I've been trying Azita's mobile with no success. Hopefully she's just visiting home and will be back soon. Well, yesterday was my own teacher's last class, and I'd like to attend at least one Iyengar class in a week. However, I'm going to wait for Azita's return. My first choice was Azita too, but for a silly reason: I'm Iranian too! But now after the things you said I am more determined to take her classes. Take care.
Yasmin
Posted 2006-09-12 2:24 AM (#64295 - in reply to #52326)

Hi
I am Iyengaryoga thecher,if you have place I can teach you this method.
yasiasadi@yahoo.com
Yoga Freak
Posted 2006-09-13 3:02 AM (#64358 - in reply to #63789)

I finally managed to talk to Azita and I'll start working with her from next week. Thanks again.
cerise
Posted 2006-09-13 6:52 AM (#64363 - in reply to #52326)

Great, my best wishes to you, YogaFreak !
Yoga Freak
Posted 2006-09-13 7:01 AM (#64364 - in reply to #64295)

Thanks Yasmin for the offer. Well, I don't have a place for that and I will never ever consider to have a private Iyengar class; maybe any other style, but not Iyengar!!! Lol Who stands to be the centre of the focus of an Iyengar teacher for a whole session? Not me! (Though it has happened to me a few times, but they were all unwanted!!! And they brought me to this coclusion.) I don't know, for me the Iyengar method is too tough! And not a style which I embrace joyfully! Still it seems like a torture, however, I love it for the emphasis on the proper alignment, that's my only motivation! Thanks again, and hope to do yoga together someday.
Yoga Freak
Posted 2006-09-13 7:05 AM (#64365 - in reply to #64363)

Thanks Cerise, the same here. Have a good time.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-13 10:19 AM (#64381 - in reply to #64365)

Expert Yogi

Cersie! Some of us Iyengar teachers are real sweethearts
Yoga Freak
Posted 2006-09-13 11:16 AM (#64389 - in reply to #64381)

It was me talking about the toughness of the Iyengar method and its teachers! It seems that if one is flexible by nature, they usually do not have enough control over their body! I'm one of them, so it's not easy for me for example to correct my hips to level them because I have no awareness where they are and where they should be! However, I'm getting interested more and more in the proper alignment. It's just very very difficult for me, but it is worth to try, I know that for sure! (Now I notice that sometimes one of my sivananda's teachers arms are not level in some of the postures. And I'm glad that I am aware of that because I'd be an instructor myself soon!)
tourist
Posted 2006-09-13 6:38 PM (#64405 - in reply to #64389)

Expert Yogi

YF - I am glad you recognize that challenge for yourself. Those who lack flexibility often feel like their problems in poses are insurmountable, but those who are very flexible often have much more difficulty. Keep working!
Yoga Freak
Posted 2006-09-14 2:27 AM (#64421 - in reply to #64405)

Thanks Tourist, I will.
cerise
Posted 2006-09-16 2:56 PM (#64566 - in reply to #64381)

Hi Tourist. I was not the author of the message, but a it is a great occasion to say hello to you. Hope you are well and happy.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)