YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thread, beetle and freedom
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga as Self-RealizationMessage format

bipinjoshi
Posted 2006-05-26 1:02 AM (#53945)
Subject: Thread, beetle and freedom

Hi Friends,
Just posted a story that I read many years ago in one of the books by Swami Vivekananda. The story is indeed a good learning for all the Yoga students . The story goes like this...

http://www.binaryintellect.info/articles/displayarticle.aspx?id=13
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-27 8:43 AM (#54087 - in reply to #53945)
Subject: RE: Thread, beetle and freedom

fabulous story

but, expecting fruit?!?

why not practice without expectation or attachment for the sake of practice for the sake of improvement?

Fruit is great, but so is planting the seed, watering the seed, watching the plant grow, weeding the bed, harvesting the fruit....ect....

we can let go of our expectations, today
bipinjoshi
Posted 2006-05-27 11:12 PM (#54131 - in reply to #54087)

Expectation and attachment are different things. Few days back I wrote about qualities of spiritual seeker (http://www.bipinjoshi.com/displaythread.aspx?threadid=222&forumid=14). One of the qualities is desire for liberation. Let me tell you another story to explain what I mean

Once upon a time the great muni Narada was going to Lord Vishnu. On his way he came across one Sadhu who was engaged in his mortifications and rituals. He requested Narada to ask the Lord Vishnu when he will get mukti (liberation). Agreeing to his request Narada went ahead. Further on his way he came across a house holder who was worshiping Lord Vishnu. He also requested the same thing to Narada.

Days pass by. When Narada was returning back he went to the Sadhu and told him that "You are going to liberated after four births". Hearing this message the Sadhu started crying. "Oh! I practiced so hard still the God has given be four more births." He became frustated and with heart filled with disappointment left the place.

Then Narada went to the house holder. He pointed to a tree near by and said - "You will be liberated after you take births equal to the number of leaves this tree bears". Hearing this the house holder was very happy. He cried with joy - "What? I am so fortunate that I am going to be liberated in such a small time. God is great!". Suddeenly Lord Vishnu himself appeared there and said - "My son. I am very pleased with you. You will get mukti right now!".

You see, this attitude matters. I don't see anything wrong in having some spiritual goal from your practice. But you should not crave for the things. God will give you the fruits at right time but that does not mean that you should not expect fruits or you should not have some goals. Only thing is that don't expect that the results will come immediately or in this life alone. Keep your practice going. Have some spiritual goals and work towards them. Even if you practice for the sake of improvement, improvement is finally the fruit of your practice.

Edited by bipinjoshi 2006-05-27 11:15 PM
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-28 8:43 AM (#54149 - in reply to #53945)

beautiful explanation.

the story in some upanishad i read, so many years ago, had to do with counting leaves in the forest with the same outcome.

however, i'm not convinced that there is anything other than what we know, so, i'm content with this.

tourist
Posted 2006-05-28 9:54 AM (#54155 - in reply to #54131)

Expert Yogi

bipinjoshi - we did a skit of that little story at our studio recently! I think I read it in Swami Satchidananda's commentary on the sutras
bipinjoshi
Posted 2006-05-28 11:01 PM (#54182 - in reply to #54155)

tourist - 2006-05-28 8:54 AM

bipinjoshi - we did a skit of that little story at our studio recently! I think I read it in Swami Satchidananda's commentary on the sutras

You seem to have extra activities at your studio. Must be a lot of fun and learning
tourist
Posted 2006-05-29 10:24 AM (#54195 - in reply to #54182)

Expert Yogi

One of our senior teachers is a retired kindergarten teacher. She encourages us to use lots of different learning methods - in other words - be silly from time to time If you see the dvd of BKS in Colorado last year, there is a wonderful performance of a yogi with a Pune-style tressler or "horse." Very funny. I love funny
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)