YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting motivated at home
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

msflex
Posted 2006-05-26 2:48 AM (#53958)
Subject: Getting motivated at home

Lately I've been so busy that I can't make the usual yoga classes. It is just as easy to do yoga at home but I can't get motivated. I think it is the environment that I really miss. Having classmates and instructor to talk to before and after. Plus I like the room hot (just not the sweaty people next to me) and really enjoy seeing celebrities in class. Anyway, any suggestions to get motivated? I have tons of yoga DVD. But by myself, I have a hard time getting started and also don't have the patience to finish the dvd.

Edited by msflex 2006-05-26 2:51 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-05-26 5:48 AM (#53969 - in reply to #53958)
Subject: RE: Getting motivated at home

I'll just leave you with a quote:

"Comittment to the practice is evidenced by your willingness to be present on the mat, whatever comes up right now" (Judith Hanson-Lasater)

SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-26 12:57 PM (#54025 - in reply to #53958)

why do you practice at all?

is it for the camaraderie?

is it some certain something, unmentionable?

Quite possibly, your personality needs people.
maybe you could start a practice group?
samantha77
Posted 2006-05-26 2:31 PM (#54039 - in reply to #53958)

Extreme Veteran

If you like the room hot, why not get a space heater to put on while you're practicing.  When I practice at home, during times when I'm tired, or just don't feel motivated, I just start practicing without stopping to let my excuses get in the way.  More often than not, once I get started, I really get into it and am happy that I pushed myself.  Also, I have my mat already set up as well as the dvd I want to do all ready and in the machine.  So all I have to do when I get home is change, flip on the TV and get started.  Maybe if you try to remove all your obstacles when you feel energetic and motivated you'l have less trouble getting a session in when you don't necessarily feel like it.

Samantha

bipinjoshi
Posted 2006-05-26 10:37 PM (#54071 - in reply to #53958)

How about reading some inspirational books to keep yourself motivated?
TSha
Posted 2006-05-27 2:23 PM (#54115 - in reply to #53958)

When I know I need to practice but feel unmotivation I will start with my breathing. That will usually lead into some poses. Sometimes that is all I do, somtimes they are just quite and restorative and other times more invigorating. Regardless of which they are, they are usually just what I need.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-05-27 4:38 PM (#54122 - in reply to #54115)

TSha - 2006-05-27 2:23 PM

When I know I need to practice but feel unmotivation I will start with my breathing. That will usually lead into some poses. Sometimes that is all I do, somtimes they are just quite and restorative and other times more invigorating. Regardless of which they are, they are usually just what I need.

this is a good excuse for me to go and do my routine, l8r.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-05-27 11:38 PM (#54133 - in reply to #53958)

msflex - 2006-05-26 2:48 AM

Lately I've been so busy that I can't make the usual yoga classes. It is just as easy to do yoga at home but I can't get motivated. I think it is the environment that I really miss. Having classmates and instructor to talk to before and after. Plus I like the room hot (just not the sweaty people next to me) and really enjoy seeing celebrities in class. Anyway, any suggestions to get motivated? I have tons of yoga DVD. But by myself, I have a hard time getting started and also don't have the patience to finish the dvd.

===> Keep an area (whatever size) where you shall do your Home Practice. And, in that area, hang the pictures of those great Yogis whom you feel great.

msflex
Posted 2006-05-28 2:30 PM (#54162 - in reply to #53958)

I think I need people around me. I will stretch a little harder, hold the pose longer, to see if I am doing better than my classmates. And of course the cute instructor's complement makes me feel good.
At home, yoga or other kind of exercise, I will end up just watching it. I just moved so I have a great area in the living room that I can use. Given how crowded the yoga class is (people are packed like sardines!) my area can easily fit 4-6 people, but I don't like people in my house. Getting my living room hot and steamy doesn't appeal to me.
If only I can afford to buy a place and remodel a room with wooden floor and it's own heater..... or will it?
kristi
Posted 2006-06-01 4:36 AM (#54432 - in reply to #53958)

Veteran

Good morning
While drinking my morning… coffee, I am trying to get motivated so as to start my home practice :

Motivation number 1 : I watch at my cat wonderfully and calmly streeeeeetching and taking her morning “bath” (and I get jealous of her)

Motivation number 2 : While sitting on the chair in front of my computer, I put my legs in padmasana and erect my spine (motivation is increasing!)

Motivation number 3 : I raise my eyes and look at the figure of Mr. BKS Iyengar, sitting in baddha konasana on the cover of the Illustrated LOY book (makes me ready to start !!)

Motivation number 4 : I go through the most interesting threads of this forum and mainly, I read the answers to the “why practice?” thread in the beginners- yoga-page of this forum. (Print these answers and keep them for… motivation purposes)

So, have a nice day, I now go, the nicest two hours of my whole day are now starting !
mishoga
Posted 2006-06-01 4:45 PM (#54543 - in reply to #53958)

Expert Yogi

That's nice Kristi

mish
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-01 4:50 PM (#54545 - in reply to #54432)

kristi - 2006-06-01 4:36 AM
Motivation number 4 : I go through the most interesting threads of this forum and mainly, I read the answers to the “why practice?” thread in the beginners- yoga-page of this forum. (Print these answers and keep them for… motivation purposes)

cool!
Thushara
Posted 2006-06-02 9:28 AM (#54616 - in reply to #54545)

But if none of those 4 pints motivate you ??? Then what should I do ?
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-02 9:31 AM (#54617 - in reply to #54616)

Thushara - 2006-06-02 9:28 AM

But if none of those 4 pints motivate you ??? Then what should I do ?

if you are satisfied where you are, i'm not sure there is anything for you to do.

self analysis can be helpful.
tourist
Posted 2006-06-02 10:42 AM (#54635 - in reply to #54616)

Expert Yogi

Thushara - you can do just headstand and shoulderstand, 5 minutes each, and then stop or you can do 3 poses you don't like followed by 3 that you do like. Like taking bad-tasting medicine or eating a healthy food that you don't like. Just do it because it is good for you. After a couple of days you will probably feel like doing more
shnen
Posted 2006-06-02 11:59 AM (#54655 - in reply to #53958)

I have music that inspires me.. then after I am inspired I tend to turn it off - but usually if I am unmotiveated I need something to flood out everyhting in my mind, then I flood that out once I am motivated
Rhachel
Posted 2006-07-06 5:44 PM (#57959 - in reply to #53958)

I have tried to start a home practice several times. I think it takes a lot of dicipline. I guess I just don't have that yet. Everytime I start to roll out my matt, I just see how dirty the floor is and think that I should be sweeping it instead.

I did however bust out my matt at my boyfriend's house the other day. He has a great patio looking into his back yard full of oak trees. I think I could get a regular practice going there, it was so pretty and it wasn't my floor, so I don't have to clean it!
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-06 6:50 PM (#57964 - in reply to #57959)

Rhachel - 2006-07-06 5:44 PM

I have tried to start a home practice several times. I think it takes a lot of dicipline. I guess I just don't have that yet. Everytime I start to roll out my matt, I just see how dirty the floor is and think that I should be sweeping it instead.

I did however bust out my matt at my boyfriend's house the other day. He has a great patio looking into his back yard full of oak trees. I think I could get a regular practice going there, it was so pretty and it wasn't my floor, so I don't have to clean it!

i know back in college i had to sweep the floor before practice, everytime, it was part of my practice

of course the room that i swept it into never got any cleaner

Posted 2006-07-06 8:10 PM (#57977 - in reply to #54635)

I like Tourist's idea of headstand, shoulderstand then 3 of what you like and three of what you don't like. I am having a hard time getting motivated also with my practice. I have the perfect place to practice: a deck in the backyard overlooking the 17th tee. No excuse except the golfers.

One of my instructors told us to include in our practice ustrasana, cobra and locust-I know the Sanskrit, but do not want to misspell, so please pardon me. I forgot to include bow in my practice. I hope this will help ya'll with incorporating some more poses into your practice.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-07-07 9:54 AM (#57999 - in reply to #53958)

Sometimes it helps to just get the mat out and lay in it for a while and breath. This is what I do when I lack motivation. Then I start doing gentle poses, and my energy gets going. Or sometimes I just lay there and breath, it's all good.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)