YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Exploring Kundalini Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Kundalini YogaMessage format

ystan
Posted 2006-06-27 1:43 PM (#56924)
Subject: Exploring Kundalini Yoga

Recently on an exploratory basis I attended a Kundalini Yoga class. I found the asanas are similar to Hatha Yoga with focus on raising energy through the Chakras. The difference is there is non-stop chanting of Mantras, which I am not used to, for the reasons I don’t know the effectiveness of Mantras and find them odd, I’m used to practice in peace and silence. I’ve read some articles on the Internet on allegations made to Yogi Bhajan, which created some doubt in my mind about this Kundalini Yoga style of practice. My questions are:

(1)   Is the chanting e.g. “Wahay Guru”, “Ra Ma Da Sa Sa Say So Hung”, “Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo” etc. creation of Yogi Bhajan, or they are authentic Kundalini Yoga practiced centuries back? How do I differentiate them?

(2) Any one find the listed Mantras effective? What is your experience?

(3)   The Kundalini books in the library are mainly linked to Yogi Bhajan, are there authentic Kundalini Yoga books / literature available?

Thanks for advise. Namaste

Edited by ystan 2006-06-27 1:45 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-06-27 3:55 PM (#56938 - in reply to #56924)
Subject: RE: Exploring Kundalini Yoga

ystan - 2006-06-27 1:43 PM

Recently on an exploratory basis I attended a Kundalini Yoga class. I found the asanas are similar to Hatha Yoga with focus on raising energy through the Chakras. The difference is there is non-stop chanting of Mantras, which I am not used to, for the reasons I don’t know the effectiveness of Mantras and find them odd, I’m used to practice in peace and silence. I’ve read some articles on the Internet on allegations made to Yogi Bhajan, which created some doubt in my mind about this Kundalini Yoga style of practice. My questions are:

(1)   Is the chanting e.g. “Wahay Guru”, “Ra Ma Da Sa Sa Say So Hung”, “Ong Namo Guru Dev Namo” etc. creation of Yogi Bhajan, or they are authentic Kundalini Yoga practiced centuries back? How do I differentiate them?

(2) Any one find the listed Mantras effective? What is your experience?

(3)   The Kundalini books in the library are mainly linked to Yogi Bhajan, are there authentic Kundalini Yoga books / literature available?

Thanks for advise. Namaste

===> About what Kundalini Yoga style of doing Yoga is : I am NOT appropriate resource. You should try other better resource.

===> As for the chants you quoted, they are NOT from the Vedic times, they are very very recent and are definitely associated with Sikhism, NOT in the same way as the Vedic chants are associated with Hinduism. For example, the (wrongly used, which should not be used) term Hinduism came long afterr Vedic and Yogic times, and it borrows from the later. Where as the chants you quoted are formed after the formation of Sikhism, which is a sect.

===> There is NO problem with using any chant as long as you know their meaning, the context of their usage, etc. For example, when you use National Anthem, you know what the context is, and it gives certain benefits in the context of Anthem. It can never give spiritual liberation.

ETC.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-06-27 4:48 PM (#56940 - in reply to #56924)

hey Neel,

have you ever worked with a Mr. Singh?

back in the laboratory i did, his name was Davender Jeet, and he was one hard working man.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-06-27 7:42 PM (#56965 - in reply to #56940)

Expert Yogi

SCThornley - 2006-06-27 4:48 PM

hey Neel,

have you ever worked with a Mr. Singh?

He has a sister Singh....Cyndiben Singh,
bipinjoshi
Posted 2006-06-27 11:09 PM (#56986 - in reply to #56924)

Actually there are many ways to awaken the Kundalini. Many of them use Hatha Yoga techniques as a basis. In my personal openion strong base of Hatha Yoga practices (especially Pranayama, Bandhas and Mudras) is a must for proper cleansing of chakras and awekening of Kundalini. Of course there can be varing openions on this.

I don't know about other mantras you mentioned but Bija Mantras of chakras are certainly useful if used correctly. One needs to find the correct duration and way to use them.

Yoga Chudamani Upanishad, Kundalini Upanishad, Shatchakra Nirupanam are ancient Indian texts that are dedicated to Kundalini awakening. Though Hatha Yoga Pradipika doesn't talk too much about chakras and kundalini it is clear that various practices mentioned are for the awekening of the Kundalini. Additionally, "The Serpent Power" also gives detailed background of the subject.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-06-27 11:12 PM (#56987 - in reply to #56924)

Yes SCT. I know many Mr. singhs. And, yes, Sikh persons are truely hard working and jolly people. I love them. Well, coming to Mrs singhs, I love them, in a proper context!
ystan
Posted 2006-06-28 10:04 AM (#57017 - in reply to #56924)

Neel and Bipinjoshi, thanks for your kind response which clarified some of my doubts. Namaste
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)