YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga & booze
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga as Self-RealizationMessage format

SiriusSpirit
Posted 2006-07-02 9:09 AM (#57337)
Subject: yoga & booze

I've heard this before, and now I'm experiencing it myself. My tolerance for alcohol is really changing the deeper my yoga practice. Not only does it take fewer drinks to have an affect on me, but the affect is becoming more negative. I had a few beers at a beachside pub yesterday, came home, and went out like a light around 6 pm. I barely opened my eyes around 10 pm, only to go back to bed for the whole night. It was as if I had been poisoned.
I'm feeling like certain foods and alcohol are more toxic to my body now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GreenJello
Posted 2006-07-02 10:13 AM (#57347 - in reply to #57337)
Subject: RE: yoga & booze

I hear you. I'm really getting to the point that I don't enjoy drinking. I've never been a big drinker, but it's gotten to the point that a 6 pack will sit in my fridge for weeks at a time. I just don't feel any urge to drink, nor do I feel any revulsion towards it.

As far as the effects being more pronounced, I haven't really noticed that much. It DOES effect me more than it used to, but that's more a tolerance thing. Since I don't drink I've got a much lower tolerance, which includes effects like headaches, and the urge to sleep after a beer or two.

BTW, are you sure you weren't sleep deprived? I've had similar episodes of sleeping during the weekend when I've been cutting my sleep cycles a bit short. So if I get like 5-6 hours a night during the week, I think I feel fine, but when the weekend comes I end up crashing pretty hard.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-07-02 2:58 PM (#57380 - in reply to #57337)

It's a combo of yoga and eating well that makes my tolerance level about 1 drink. Sometimes I don't even finish a class of wine or a beer but I can always finish one margarita.

I am so grateful. I think some adults drink to excess (whatever excess is for them) because they are bored with their lives (while others shop to the extreme, have affairs, gamble, smoke pot...). I wonder if they would feel bored practicing asanas?

Yoga is such a good way to re-route stuck energy.

Good topic!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-07-02 4:27 PM (#57398 - in reply to #57380)

*Fifi* - 2006-07-02 2:58 PM
I think some adults drink to excess (whatever excess is for them) because they are bored with their lives (while others shop to the extreme, have affairs, gamble, smoke pot...). I wonder if they would feel bored practicing asanas?

I think that's part of it. There's also peer pressure, addiction, etc. In my brother's case it's a good excuse to socialize and act like an idiot. A lot of societys have a day or week or some sort of socially acceptable period where people can act in any manner they please. All the social standards are relaxed for a bit. In america we seem to have Vegas and getting drunk. I don't think anybody really accepts the excuse "I was drunk" as being true, but it's often a socially acceptable excuse for a lot of behavior, rotten or otherwise.

Yoga is such a good way to re-route stuck energy.

I think this is a key point. Frankly, I used to get drunk to blow off steam. Yoga is a MUCH better way to deal with that need/urge.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-02 5:42 PM (#57409 - in reply to #57337)

August 15 will be five years since i've touched any form of alcohol, if you can enjoy it, please do, i don't.
pooja32
Posted 2006-07-02 5:59 PM (#57414 - in reply to #57337)

Same here, I was never a heavy drinker, but even half a glass of wine/one beer makes me feel like crap the next morning.
samantha77
Posted 2006-07-03 9:32 AM (#57455 - in reply to #57337)

Extreme Veteran

I never connected it to yoga, but I also have been unable to drink very much for the past few years I guess.  I could in college, but I guess that goes for alot of people  I actually had quite a high tolerance for it, but since graduating, and not drinking as often, I feel the effects after only one glass of wine.  Last week I was on vacation with some friends, and some of them drink beer like it's water.  I guess they were drinking more because they were on vacation, but I would be wasted if I did that.  That's another thing.  I remember actually wanting to get 'wasted' in college, but now I can't even imagine why I would have wanted that.  I just associate it with getting sick, and being hung over (man I hate that)  I guess that has something to do with my yoga practice.

Samantha 

jpk
Posted 2006-07-03 3:49 PM (#57508 - in reply to #57337)

I had read that yoga will make booze seem pointless and I thought "yeah right", but it happened to me. I used to always get through a bottle of wine at the weekend, but a few months ago I just stopped. They began to accumulate in the fridge as my wife kept buying them, one a week as per normal!

All I have now is the occasional beer due to the unfeasably hot weather the UK is having over the recent days. We are more accustomed to rain for Wimbledon...

JK
Rhachel
Posted 2006-07-05 6:20 PM (#57816 - in reply to #57337)

It's all about moderation. I had a regular date with a Thursday night yoga class. Yoga and cocktails. I know it sounds horrible but we had a GREAT time!
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-05 7:30 PM (#57823 - in reply to #57816)

Rhachel - 2006-07-05 6:20 PM

It's all about moderation. I had a regular date with a Thursday night yoga class. Yoga and cocktails. I know it sounds horrible but we had a GREAT time!

i must say that i feel a tinge of jealousy towards your ability to enjoy a dabbly wabbly here and there

:>}
Rhachel
Posted 2006-07-06 5:47 PM (#57960 - in reply to #57337)

The first time we did it, I left my yoga matt at the bar. I went back the next day and the bartender (who I'm good friends with now) told me in the 10 years she had been working in bars, that was the weirdest thing anyone has ever left behind!

Edited by Rhachel 2006-07-06 5:48 PM
Balen
Posted 2006-07-06 7:09 PM (#57971 - in reply to #57337)

Oh my

Myself I hardly drink, however when I drink it is only for one goal. So two fisted I go..

Maybe if i m lucky twice a year. Daughter has to be away and also my wife (AA member) plus no work the next day.
Nick
Posted 2006-07-09 9:44 AM (#58161 - in reply to #57960)

Hi Rhachel,
I read a article recently about some of the weird things that people leave on buses-one was a jar of bull's sperm, which i think outdoes your yoga mat!
Nick
MrD
Posted 2006-07-10 7:00 PM (#58239 - in reply to #57337)

I spoke to a Bikram yoga instructor who said that during her training they would be invited up to Bikram's house where they would have discussions late into the night. Not a drop of alcohol was served. At first it was incomprehensible, but later she said she really liked it. She was a college binge drinker before her training. Now it's moderate social drinking only.

Is this due to increased bodily awareness?

Does yoga release tensions better than alcohol?

Do we now have three great classes of non drinkers, Moslems, Mormons, and Yogis??

Edited by MrD 2006-07-10 7:01 PM
tourist
Posted 2006-07-10 9:12 PM (#58243 - in reply to #58239)

Expert Yogi

There is a definite tendency to drink less as we practice more, but not all yogis are 100% non-drinkers. Most of those I know who do drink are very moderate, to my knowledge, at least
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-07-11 7:52 AM (#58270 - in reply to #57337)

For what it's worth, I quit drinking before I started yoga. I was trying to replace some bad habits with healthy ones.
laurajhawk
Posted 2006-07-11 12:16 PM (#58292 - in reply to #57337)

I mostly quit drinking (for various personal reasons) before I started doing yoga. But since doing yoga, I barely ever want to drink anymore, and when I do want to, the desire passes before I get around to acting on it.

Heck, I get a better buzz from practice than from booze

Posted 2006-07-11 12:22 PM (#58293 - in reply to #57337)

We've discussed similar things like this before and at the risk of being redundant, i find moderate amounts of beer (Belgian and Guinness) a fine complement to my yoga practice from a physical, mental, emotional, and social standpoint. After a strong hot vinyasa, a Chimay goes down great.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-11 1:19 PM (#58299 - in reply to #58293)

Bruce - 2006-07-11 12:22 PM

We've discussed similar things like this before and at the risk of being redundant, i find moderate amounts of beer (Belgian and Guinness) a fine complement to my yoga practice from a physical, mental, emotional, and social standpoint. After a strong hot vinyasa, a Chimay goes down great.

Chimay white, blue, or red?

Have you ever had Orval or any of the other Trappist brews?

When I used to drink, Belgian Beer, which is the finest beer on the earth, was my absolute favorite.

Have you ever had any of the Lambics?

I still have a five gallon carboy of Lambic brew in the basement, i just don't know what i'll ever do with it.

I still use beer when i cook; for marinade.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-07-11 1:21 PM (#58300 - in reply to #57337)

Yeah, it's that moderate thing that gets me. Or I mean used to, for me its better to just abstain.
wohayo
Posted 2006-07-18 8:19 AM (#58957 - in reply to #57337)

What a relief to hear it isn't just me, I have really gone off booze since I got further into my practice. Only really because I feel so happy and fulfilled without it, it seems a shame to deaden all those feelings with booze.

The problem I have is that nobody else seems happy about it, maybe it is just a UK thing, but I seem to be a disappointment to the people I care about because I no longer want to drink as much. I could understand if I was telling them not to drink, but I would never impose my views on anyone else. And I haven't stopped altogether, just slowed down a bit. Maybe I am unusual in my experience, but it seems in the UK if you don't want to drink yourself into oblivion as often as you can you are some sort of freak. It makes me feel very sad.

DownwardDog
Posted 2006-07-18 8:38 AM (#58961 - in reply to #57337)

I've been through a weird time with that. I also started to almost not drink at all anymore because of depening my practice, and recently have gone totally mad and drunk loads, partied loads, eaten loads of crap.

I don't know why.

My practice has been difficult due to injury and losing my teacher, so maybe that's got something to do with it.

Posted 2006-07-18 8:38 AM (#58963 - in reply to #57337)

they'll get over it. it's hard for people when someone changes, and their own self judgement (which is then projected onto you) comes into play. when they get used to your choice, it won't be a problem.

for my own part, i don't drink and never have--it's simply too medicinal feeling and tasting for me to enjoy. but, i do not think that drinking is inherently bad. having alcoholic beverages as beverages is healthy (they do have nutritional value). when they become dependencies, then alcohol becomes a problem.
Orbilia
Posted 2006-07-18 9:22 AM (#58965 - in reply to #58957)

The same was true when I was in my teens. Fortunately none of my friends were that kind of idiot but there were some on the fringes. Same again when I worked for a big oil and gas company (work hard, play hard). Instead of arguing I used to order a short and mixer for the first round, then just keep saying all I needed was a mixer this time. They never did cotton on that I only ever drank 2-3 units and the rest was soda/bitter lemon/lemonade/tonic/whatever

Fee

wohayo - 2006-07-18 1:19 PM

What a relief to hear it isn't just me, I have really gone off booze since I got further into my practice. Only really because I feel so happy and fulfilled without it, it seems a shame to deaden all those feelings with booze.

The problem I have is that nobody else seems happy about it, maybe it is just a UK thing, but I seem to be a disappointment to the people I care about because I no longer want to drink as much. I could understand if I was telling them not to drink, but I would never impose my views on anyone else. And I haven't stopped altogether, just slowed down a bit. Maybe I am unusual in my experience, but it seems in the UK if you don't want to drink yourself into oblivion as often as you can you are some sort of freak. It makes me feel very sad.

wohayo
Posted 2006-07-18 9:54 AM (#58969 - in reply to #57337)

Thanks guys, it's nice to hear, and not feel quite so stranded!
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)