YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

aching hands; sore wrists
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

grundig7
Posted 2006-07-03 3:29 PM (#57507)
Subject: aching hands; sore wrists

I've been doing yoga for nearly four years now, and have been fortunate enough not to have suffered any serious injuries during that time. Recently, however, I have been experiencing very sore wrists and some sharp pain in my hands.

My practice involves many inversions, including handstands, scorpions, as well as jumping into many arm balances, such as crow, one-legged crow, etc. I spend some 30% of my asana practice just on my hands and wrists.

Is it possible that I've done some permanent damage to my hands and wrists? I've taken some days off to see if the pain and soreness subsides, but to no avail. I'm so worried now that I'll have to dramatically change the way I practice yoga in order to continue practicing at all. Someone has suggested to me using fist when doing plank and up dog, doing dolphin instead of down-dogs, and giving up all inversions and arm balances that put pressure directly on my hands and wrists, at least until they heal.

Any advice?

Edited by grundig7 2006-07-03 3:31 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-07-03 6:52 PM (#57524 - in reply to #57507)
Subject: RE: aching hands; sore wrists

Expert Yogi

Hi Bobby - my quick and easy advice is to cut out all the inversions. Try 6 weeks of standing and seated poses and maybe headstand and shoulderstand. And go back to down dog with a good, strong focus on the placement and work of the hands. Pressure at the base of the fingers - not the wrists. Call me back in 6 weeks
Nick
Posted 2006-07-09 7:09 AM (#58152 - in reply to #57507)

Hi Grundig,
I just started a thread on sun salutes, which partly addresses the wrists over on the astanga yoga forum-that may help you realize why your inversions are causing wrist problems.
take care
Nick

Posted 2006-08-15 2:56 AM (#61735 - in reply to #57507)

Hello Bobby,

Of course it's possible to have done damage, but to determine it's nature (permanent) is more difficult. Do you have a practice that emphasizes safety over all other things? What sort of practice do you have? How old are you? What do you do for a living (or what other ways are you using your hands outside yoga practice)? What is your diet like?

I'm not a fan of using fists. That typically does not bring enough ease into the hands for healing or restoration. There's some modifications for some poses but for a few you mention it would be more challenging to find a modification.

In the bigger picture, for all of us, only change is constant and our agression to keep things as they are is not in line with the philosophy of yoga (classically speaking).It's a form of attachment. And while there's no condemnation for this it is noteworthy. Eventually we all modify our yoga practice. For some it's merely with age, for others it's from injury, for yet others it's a finding of a deeper self and a practice that nutures that self. It's merely your ego, which is to be expected.

You can still enjoy the effects of yoga inversion without the strain on your hands.
Sirsasana and sarvangasa will provide you the energetics but you may have to pacify your sense of wanting to "accomplish" as these poses, physiologically, may be "easy" for you to "do".

Of course you should effort to heal and return to your practice, understanding the undercurrent may be "change is on the horizon one way or the other".
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)