YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How often do you practice?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

YogaMommy
Posted 2006-07-06 9:57 AM (#57891)
Subject: How often do you practice?

As I teach more, I find it harder to fit in my own practice. I know how important it is, but with three kids home for the summer, yoga time is hard to find.

How many times per week do you have a personal practice? Do you practice with your classes? I find most classes I either only get one side in, or I'm walking around checking alignment.

A related question: Do you do other forms of exercise? People ask me if I "only do yoga". I do some cardio and weights too, but it is mostly yoga.

Carole
Top of the page Bottom of the page
YogaChick
Posted 2006-07-06 2:15 PM (#57940 - in reply to #57891)
Subject: RE: How often do you practice?

Yes, it does get harder to work in a personal practice as you pick up more classes and clients to teach. I don't really practice with my classes, but I do make sure I get warmed up enough to be able to demonstrate poses.

On a good week, I have personal practice 5 or 6 days a week. (Not always a full hour or 90 minute practice each time. Sometimes only 30 or 40 minutes.)

On a bad week. . . . WHAT PERSONAL PRACTICE??

Honestly, if I kept statistics, it would probalbly average out to 3 or 4 times per week.

To answer your other question: I also do cardio and some weights, but mostly I do yoga and Pilates. I know a lot of people who do yoga only, and they are in great shape. I will probably reach a point where I no longer enjoy weights and transition into doing "only yoga."

YogaChick
zenergy47
Posted 2006-07-07 1:17 PM (#58028 - in reply to #57891)

funny you ask that questions.. i am dealing with the same struggle..
I dont practice with class.. a pose here and there but not a full practice other then warm up poses before class..

other then yoga - i swim twice a week, gym 3 days a week and yoga 5-6 days a week.. i think its important to try and get a little yoga in every day even if its one sun salutation.. so somedays yoga is 10 minutes others its 90 minutes

more recently i have tried to really make a pattern for myself.. since i felt like i wasnt in one for a while.. try tracking your weekly schedule and then you can see what works for you
yogabrian
Posted 2006-07-07 3:22 PM (#58043 - in reply to #57891)

I shoot for 5 times a week. 3 of the days I do an advanced practice, 2 days I do a light practice. Luckily, I have large amount of time in the middle of the day to do so. But running a business sometimes I miss my light practice days.
mishoga
Posted 2006-07-07 4:02 PM (#58050 - in reply to #57891)

Expert Yogi

YogaMommy, I feel your frustration. It is hard to find time for a personal practice with family obligations and teaching. I'm lucky that my hub is home full time so I can indulge in yoga and fitness a little more than most working moms.

Childhood flies by quickly and summer is short. You'll make it all up when the children return to school. Will your children do yoga with you?

I've never been good with time management. Still working on it!

As I'm writing this I'm listening to my girlfriend next door trying to calm her two babies in her yard. I can smile now because I have been there.

Mish
Krislouise2002
Posted 2006-07-08 9:06 AM (#58091 - in reply to #58050)

mish- this has nothing to do with the thread, but i thought your quote in your signature was really cool.

Posted 2006-07-08 3:11 PM (#58117 - in reply to #57891)

i'm on my trip now (we're in denmark) and i'm getting about 30 minutes a day. usually split into two. Usually focused on the legs, hips, and lower back. I'm sure you understand why.

when at home, i get about 2 hours a day, sometimes more, and sometimes a bit less. it does depend upon the day.

I do not practice with my classes, nor do i get anything out of it when i do. It's not really *yoga* in my opinion, it's a totally different mindspace.

I do a lot of things besides yoga--walking, running, swimming, weights, dancing, blah blah blah. you've seen the litany.

but, i have plenty of clients who only do yoga.

Posted 2006-07-22 3:31 AM (#59291 - in reply to #57891)

YogaMommy,

Love that handle.

Times per week of practice varies. Varies with how I feel, the weather, to do lists, the same thing I think all of us have on the docket. There's always some ebb and flow of it anyway. There have been periods of my practice where I was practicing 5 days a week. Other times once a week, and all points in between.

My teacher has a sequence refered to as "the Morning Series" and we are advised to do it every day. I figure with an opening sequence, tha gayatri, an om or three and the series followed my a brief Savasana it's 15 minutes. So I try to do that each morning. If I get back to the mat, great. If not, I've "practiced".

I do not practice with my classes. When I teach I teach. When I practice, I practice. I do not mingle the two. When there are new folks in class I might do surya namaskar with them, or show it first. But I do not practice as I feel it's my mission to observe the students. Otherwise how cna I teach and how can I keep them safe in what they do? I can not.

I walk quite a bit. Maybe three times a week and three miles per. I've been experimenting with some weights. While doing this free weight stuff I am doing some experimenting with the spine and nervous system to see what sorts of mindful ways I can do weight lifting and what exactly are the effects. Once a wekk I might do 30 minutes on an eliptical. But again I'm feeling my body movement, not listening to music or rushing to complete. And I'm working some breathing exercises at the same time.

Edited by purnayoga 2006-07-22 3:33 AM
SiriusSpirit
Posted 2006-07-22 1:38 PM (#59326 - in reply to #57891)

Same "issue" here! The more I teach, the less I practice on my own. I do practice along with the classes I teach as long as the classes remain small. To make sure I get my own practice in, though, I still take classes with my long-time yoga instructor. Occasionally, I'll get out of bed at 5:30 to do a nice hour-long practice before I start the day. In an ideal world...
SiriusSpirit
Posted 2006-07-22 1:40 PM (#59327 - in reply to #57891)

Woops, I forgot the other part of your question.

I also do cardi-cross training (take classes), bicycle, and swim. I find the cardio workouts are fantastic complements to my yoga practice.
MahaDevaShambo
Posted 2007-02-21 4:11 PM (#78351 - in reply to #57891)

I dont recall when i'm not practising , to sit down and do sádhana is different, whenever i have time (several times a day), also i don't sleep much, so i can practise almost all night long.
idance
Posted 2007-02-22 3:46 PM (#78440 - in reply to #57891)

I practice every morning by myself wether I have classes that day or not. Except for Sunday.
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-23 1:17 AM (#78485 - in reply to #59291)

purnayoga - 2006-07-22 11:31 AM

My teacher has a sequence refered to as "the Morning Series" and we are advised to do it every day.

Hi Gordon,

What does the morning series involve? Are your teacher's sequences available in book format or only on the TT.

I am very interested.

Jonathon

idance
Posted 2007-02-28 1:58 PM (#78917 - in reply to #57891)

other activities: I also teach aerobics and dance
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)