YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

my first workshop
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga WorkshopsMessage format

SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-06 1:09 PM (#57928)
Subject: my first workshop

http://www.justplainyoga.com/workshops.htm

A WEEKEND of ASHTANGA YOGA WITH CHRISTINE HOAR
JULY 21-JULY 23, 2006

wish me luck!!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
bipinjoshi
Posted 2006-07-06 11:19 PM (#57987 - in reply to #57928)
Subject: RE: my first workshop

All the best and enjoy
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-07-07 10:08 AM (#58001 - in reply to #57928)

I'm jelly. but I'm happy for you.
mishoga
Posted 2006-07-07 4:10 PM (#58054 - in reply to #57928)

Expert Yogi

That's great. Enjoy yourself. I know you were speaking about this awhile ago and now it comes to be. How joyous for you. Come back refreshed.

Mish
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-23 3:46 PM (#59442 - in reply to #57928)

Well, let me just say 'HOLY CRAP'

A WEEKEND of ASHTANGA YOGA WITH CHRISTINE HOAR
JULY 21-JULY 23, 2006

Enjoy an introduction to the Ashtanga Practice as Christine has learned it. Enjoy her light-hearted and fun style with wonderful adjustments and modifications. Beginners are welcome.
Saturday July 22, 9:30am-12pm and 1pm-3pm.
The morning hours will be an ashtanga primary series practice with assists and the afternoon will focus on basic principles of ayurveda and how they can support your yoga practice.
Sunday July 23, 9:30am-1pm.
Christine will lead and assist an ashtanga primary series practice and touch on some of second series. The end of the day will be time for Q&A and a discussion of philosophy and how to develop and maintain a personal practice.
Christine Hoar is authorized by Pattabhi Jois, the guru of Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga, to teach the Primary series. She is also the founder and director of Bristol Yoga of Vermont. Christine travels to Mysore, India regularly to study with Pattabhi Jois. She has also completed teacher trainings with Beryl Bender Birch, David Swenson and has studied extensively with Nancy Gilgoff.

This was without a doubt the best money I've ever spent in the realm of Yoga besides my mat.

Yes, this was really challenging. The pace was a lot more intense than my easy going home practice that had become my security blanket over these many years.

Yes, the people were fabulous, and nice and just awesome, really cool.

Yes, I learned how to move my body in ways I'd never thought of before...Christine is a great teacher, and she's learned from the best there is to learn from.

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES

& I think that I've found my home away from home, I'm gonna go to the Saturday class, from here on out!
mishoga
Posted 2006-07-23 4:04 PM (#59447 - in reply to #57928)

Expert Yogi

That's great!! Sounds like it was totally inspiratinal for you. It's nice to come out of te box.

Now come take a class with me at the himialayan cafe next tues (8/1) with Virat. I hear he's great!!!
Mish
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-23 7:59 PM (#59463 - in reply to #59447)

mishoga - 2006-07-23 4:04 PM

That's great!! Sounds like it was totally inspiratinal for you. It's nice to come out of te box.

Now come take a class with me at the himialayan cafe next tues (8/1) with Virat. I hear he's great!!!
Mish

HuH???!11?!!

I'm just getting started. Hey, where is the himilayan cafe?
mishoga
Posted 2006-07-24 8:30 AM (#59491 - in reply to #57928)

Expert Yogi

Down in Honesdale PA, You're in PA right? I know PA is big. It's close to the Himalayan Institute.
I believe the cafe is on Main Street in Honesdale. I'm heading there this weekend and want to take some classes the following week. Virat is a Himalayan Master. I've heard he's fantastic.

Mish

So give us specifics on the workshop
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-24 9:22 AM (#59492 - in reply to #57928)

Well 'lemme' tell ya'

Before this workshop the asana practice that i'd been doing was very gentle, and kind of 'wussy' in comparison to what i learned, but I'm glad that I've been doing a daily practice for so long because my body was familiar with most of the asanas.

I hadn't sweat like I did this weekend since I was a competitive NCAA Division I wrestler.
I had puddles of sweat on my mat at the end of Saturday Morning, it was unreal!
I didn't know I still had it in me to work my body at such a high intensity, but I do, and it felt great.

My eyes were really opened to the Mysore style and I've decided that I'm going to study the 1st series for the next year until I'm proficient at it.

Christine taught some kriyas, but I'd learned those when I first learned about Yoga over 16 years ago.

The big thing that I came away with was that I'm ready to take my asana practice up a knotch and that the JPY studio is a great place to start going once a week to stay connected to a guiding teacher.

Christine also introduced a lot of ayurveda concepts that will help support yoga asana practice, as well as discussing doshas.

I think I ended up being Kapha-Pitta, or Pitta-Kapha---well, whatever, it was just enough information to make me interested in learning more about it to stay in balance.

Friday night was just 1st series, then Saturday Morning was 1st series with some of 2nd included, then Sunday was warming up with the Surya Namaskara A then Surya Namaskara B
then the fundamentals and then she showed us some stuff where we just played.

We learned some handstand 'learning techniques', but after Saturday, when I got home, I was totally wiped out! When I woke up on Sunday, I was almost afraid to go back--but I went and I'm glad I did, because I learned a lot and once I warmed up, everything was fabulous!

as far as going to Honesdale this weekend, I'll have to take a rain check. For the next year I'll be studying the primary series in my home practice and going to JPY, where the workshop was held, once a week for their Saturday morning class.

Maybe after another year I'll be ready for another workshop.

There is still a lot of work I've got to do before my Primary 1st series is good enough for the road
tourist
Posted 2006-07-24 12:36 PM (#59504 - in reply to #59492)

Expert Yogi

SCThornley - 2006-07-24 6:22 AM
then she showed us some stuff where we just played.

This is the best bit, isn't it? When you have done your work and are ready to "play yoga." Great that you are going to a class. I have a lot of dads in my Saturday morning classes. I love it when they bring their daughters - it is a great father/daughter thing.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-24 2:21 PM (#59519 - in reply to #59504)

tourist - 2006-07-24 12:36 PM

SCThornley - 2006-07-24 6:22 AM
then she showed us some stuff where we just played.

This is the best bit, isn't it? When you have done your work and are ready to "play yoga." Great that you are going to a class. I have a lot of dads in my Saturday morning classes. I love it when they bring their daughters - it is a great father/daughter thing.

Christine says she loves to teach handstand, and so that's what she did during playtime.

I'm so much closer to doing handstand away from the wall after this workshop, it was great fun!

I got up in handstand, held it for a couple seconds then had a "OH SH*T" and completely went yellow and curled up and rolled over, DOH!

I'm so close!
Great fun!
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-24 4:00 PM (#59542 - in reply to #57928)

Oh yeah, she did a Neti pot demonstration

i already do something like this in the shower, but it looked like so much fun I wanna get a neti, or maybe a plant watering can for my big nose
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-24 5:16 PM (#59551 - in reply to #57928)

and she showed us Nauli and Uddiyana Kriya

both of these I've been doing for a long time as well, and was glad to see someone else doing it.

Everyone I show it to thinks it's weird.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-07-24 6:18 PM (#59566 - in reply to #57928)

You're so funny with your watering can. Seriously though, I searched Uddiyan Kriya on a couple of sites and found nothing, can you explain a little about it?
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-24 7:33 PM (#59569 - in reply to #59566)

bstqltmkr - 2006-07-24 6:18 PM

You're so funny with your watering can. Seriously though, I searched Uddiyan Kriya on a couple of sites and found nothing, can you explain a little about it?

In B.K.S. Iyengar's Light on Yoga it is plates 593-596 on pages 425-428

uddiyana bandha and nauli

to kindle the internal workings of your guts you suck it in and let it fall for a round that you are comfortable with, like 3 rounds of 10

If you are a woman and pregnant or trying to get pregnant I'd recommend avoiding this practice

these cleansing practices will, well, they always help me evacuate my bowels completely before practice.

That's how I initially learned them, as something you do before practice

If you don't have this book, i have others where it is also taught
Jason Hewitt's "The Complete Yoga Book"
Swami Vishnudevananda's "The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga"****this is where i learned it with the help of my buddy Joe

Joe helped me learn how to roll Nauli, and Christine Hoar is good at doing this as well.

Edited by SCThornley 2006-07-24 7:37 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)