YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga for anxiety
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

pinkrose3121
Posted 2006-07-10 8:11 AM (#58206)
Subject: yoga for anxiety

what is the best book or dvd for this I have panic and anxiety disorder and also IBS so I want something to help both
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-07-10 10:41 AM (#58219 - in reply to #58206)
Subject: RE: yoga for anxiety

Expert Yogi

Gretchen - the best way to learn yoga, especially when you have conditions like yours, is to go to a class taught by an experienced and knowledgable teacher. Yoga can certainly help!
pinkrose3121
Posted 2006-07-11 4:20 PM (#58315 - in reply to #58206)

well if i could i would go to a class but I cannot afford it right now...so I have to just do it on my own...I did some from one book I have and I slept like a baby,...and was less anxious too
tourist
Posted 2006-07-12 10:23 AM (#58353 - in reply to #58315)

Expert Yogi

Which book do you have? Patricia Walden and Linda Sparrowe have a book for yoga and women's health that I like. I prefer books to videos partly because you can't go thorugh the poses so quickly, which helps prevent injuries.

Do look around for free classes - many studios offer them at least every now and then. A lot of places reduce their schedule for summer so you may have better luck in the fall. Think about this as well, if you can afford one dvd a month you can probably afford one class a month. You don't have to go to class 3 or 4 times a week to learn what you need to know. Good luck!
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-12 10:36 AM (#58356 - in reply to #58315)

pinkrose3121 - 2006-07-11 4:20 PM

well if i could i would go to a class but I cannot afford it right now...so I have to just do it on my own...I did some from one book I have and I slept like a baby,...and was less anxious too

book?

it was years and years before i even knew that there were Yoga DVDs

i love books!

i gots lots of 'em.

Breathing techniques learned through my yoga books have been the most effective for the stress and anxiety i've experienced.
mattinchina
Posted 2006-08-17 12:24 AM (#61881 - in reply to #58206)

A bit late adding to this thread, but it may help the original poster if he/she checks back, and others too....

In addition to yoga for anxiety, I'd suggest acupressure. There are a handful of easy to find acupressure points on your arms and legs that can really help. Acupressure is something you can do as a stand alone or in conjunction with other methods, and you can also learn it from a book, although some books don't show/describe the point locations clearly enough for laypeople.

As a previous poster suggested, breathing exercises are also very good for anxiety and other emotional imbalances. I believe they're indispensable actually.

Here are a couple of self-massage techniques you can try for anxiety...

1. Ear massage (standing/sitting/lying): Hold your ears between your thumbs and the edges of your index fingers and pull downwards from top to bottom for 1-2 minutes, 2-3 times a day. Make sure your thumbs rub the entire backs of your ears, and the edges of your index fingers rub the entire front surfaces.

2. Abdominal massage (standing or lying): Rub your hands together to warm them up, then place one palm on your belly button and the other on top. Rub around your abdomen in clockwise circles, i.e. following the path of your colon, with a fairly firm but comfortable pressure for 2 minutes, 2-3 times a day. Close your eyes while you're doing it, and focus on the energy and warmth penetrating into your abdomen. Cover your abdomen as soon as you've finished.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Matthew
rockhound
Posted 2007-08-21 8:27 PM (#94667 - in reply to #61881)

thank you mattinchina for posting that link
rockhound
alice8cake
Posted 2007-10-15 1:35 PM (#97913 - in reply to #58206)

My friend from San Fransisco sent me a great book 'The Sivananda Companion to Yoga'.Although the pics are a bit 80's!lol
x
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-10-15 2:36 PM (#97917 - in reply to #58206)

Dear Pinkrose:
Please give me more details and I shall try to help. Send me pm or email if you wish.

pinkrose3121 - 2006-07-10 8:11 AM

what is the best book or dvd for this I have panic and anxiety disorder and also IBS so I want something to help both
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)