YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Becoming a Certified Teacher
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga WorkshopsMessage format

latoyadenise
Posted 2006-07-17 2:00 AM (#58861)
Subject: Becoming a Certified Teacher

In my search for finding which yoga is for me, I would like more information on becoming a teacher of yoga. At this point I'm fascinated with hatha yoga and would like more information on becoming a teacher of this discipline. I've heard some refer to this as the "pretzel" yoga. Smile.

I live in Florida, can someone recommend a school here? What are the usual prerequisites? I would like to attend somewhere for at least a week or more. Can one truly become a teacher in such a short amount of time?

Lots of questions...looking for answers,
Latoya
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-07-17 4:11 AM (#58870 - in reply to #58861)
Subject: RE: Becoming a Certified Teacher

Expert Yogi

Latoya - if you are new to yoga I strongly suggest trying as many different schools as you can to find the right one for you. Take your time. Six, 8 or 10 months and go to a series of classes whenever possible. You cannot get a clear picture of a teacher or a style from one class. When you find the style and teacher you like, you may be ready to start thinking about teaching. My own feeling is that nobody should attempt to be a yoga teacher without a few solid years of practice behind them and those who teach complete beginners to teach are not doing anyone any favours. Enjoy your search and let us know what you find out

Posted 2006-07-17 5:37 AM (#58878 - in reply to #58861)

learn yoga first and develope a consistant practice.

then think about schools and trainings to become a teacher.
latoyadenise
Posted 2006-07-17 10:23 PM (#58939 - in reply to #58861)
Subject: RE: Becoming a Certified Teach

Thank you for your replies thus far. I wasn't thinking of becoming a teacher just yet, but wanted to get more of an understanding of how this is done. I'm glad you posted about doing yoga for years, that makes more sense. I was wondering how that is done when I see the workshops on becoming a teacher and the sessions are 1 week and sometimes 1 weekend.

Thanks,
Latoya

Posted 2006-07-18 6:26 AM (#58948 - in reply to #58861)

well, yes, there are a lot of different kinds of certifications and they all have pluses and minuses.

generally speaking, i consider teachers who take only one week or one weekend of teacher training to be inadequately trained. i do not value their 'certification' unless they've been doing yoga for years and a gym or whatever required a certain kind of 'certification' such as YogaFit which certifies a person in one weekend, but if you take enough weekends you qualify for the basic Yoga Alliance registry.

Yoga Alliance (yogaalliance.com) is an organization that registers yoga teachers who have a certain number of hours of training and experience. They register teachers who have 200 or 500 hours of training. those with 500 hours of training also need 100 hours of teaching to be registered at that level. Their next level is an 'experienced registered yoga teacher' who has X number of hours teaching on top of their training levels. YA also requires continuing education hours each year to maintain registry.

Beyond Yoga Alliance, some organizations are also striving to register Yoga Therapists. While the question is still open as to how many hours of training would make one a Yoga Therapist, the basic structure is mirrored off of YA. They begin with the basic requirement of meeting the YA 500 hour status, and then add another 350 to 500 hours of training to that, plus a certain number of hours working with special needs clients in theraputic yoga. They also will have a continuing education requirement.

Some organizations, such as Iyengar's yoga training, requires teachers to have X number of years of practice (i think it's 3-5) in the tradition before they begin teacher training, and then it takes many years of training and testing before getting the most basic certifications. They well surpass any of the standards set forth by any of the registry organizations.

for my own part, i apprenticed with 4 teachers over 7-8 years. i have no 'official' certification from a single body, but i am registered with YA and am considering registry with a yoga therapy organization. this is simply so that i can more easily indicate to employers my level of training, even though it far surpasses YA standards as well. I met the 500 hour YA requirements by simply demonstrating what i did for only one year of apprenticeship with a single teacher.

Do not worry too much about it at this time. Just start learning and enjoying your practice, seeing what it brings up. And when the time is right, you'll know what to look for in your training exprience, and truly whether or not it's something that is right for you anyway. many people find that they want to focus on their own practice, rather than become teachers, once they're really seeped into the practice itself.

Posted 2006-07-18 9:56 PM (#59014 - in reply to #58861)

I agree with all of the above. I was thrown into teaching yoga back home at the gym and knew nothing. I became certified in a weekend workshop (AAAI) and really enjoyed it-the written test was HARD-lots of short answer and essay. I have done the weekend certifications, loved the yoga conventions and am now studying for my 200 hour. I opted for the 7-9 month training on the weekends, driving to Austin, instead of the 9 day intensives- better for me learning wise. I believe it will now take 2 weeks or so instead of 9 days starting next year for Yoga Alliance certification.

I love my training and am fasinated with all that I am learning and reading. I now have a better understandiing what everyone is saying and I am taking different classes to learn different styles of yoga. Have fun and try the different disciplines. I have taught and taken yoga now for almost 7-8 years now and so I was definately ready to more forward after meeting with this chat forum a few years ago. Have a great journey and keep us informed!

Posted 2006-08-13 12:33 AM (#61621 - in reply to #58861)

Hello Latoya and welcome to the Yoga Dot Com board.

Teaching yoga can be a wonderful thing. I think there are many angles to look at when broaching this "how do I teach" topic. I'll try only to add to the thread but suspect I will repeat the important facts from the previous posters.

Several years of your own practice before teaching is very important for the following reason.
From my perspective it is not appropriate to teach something that one is not practicing. There's a certain lack of authenticity and even if one is very confident in their presentation, students will feel it and the teacher will not be able to give in the ways they need to around these things. I'm refering to the concept of living ones yoga.

Therefore it is not just apprpriate but necessary to bring the asana into YOUR body before venturing out on the teaching path. We could tell you about trikonasana (triangle) ad nauseum and you could jot down every word and perhaps even repeat them to a room full of students. But you would not KNOW the pose at its deeper levels unless you were doing it.

Please do develop your own personal practice, including a home practice before putting serious consideration into teaching. I believe that once you do this the rest of the path will make itself viewable to you.

Some teacher trainings are about cranking out graduates and cashing your check. ou will have to look with a keen eye and bring all your discernment to bear when evaluating the trainings you are interested in. You are likely to lead a more fulfilling life with a training of ethics and values, one where they don't take every applicaant but rather screen you for some criteria so they are not just pumping out teacher after teacher like an assembly line.

Traings come in different flavors (types, brands) and different duration. I took a week-long training my first time out. I did already have teaching experience in another field. But as I look back at my teaching I can see both the beauty of what I did and the weaknesses. Regardless of my (lack of) training I was compassionate and mindful and those can mitigate some weaknesses.

Now I have continued my training, take the science of yoga in a more serious way (while still taking myself lightly), and am growing in ways I did not dream possible - and I can ow share THAT with my students. I've brought it in and now can let it out, with compassion and mindfulness as seasonings.

Yoga Alliance does register yoga teachers and their form is available on their web site. Look it over. It will show you the framework they look for in their registration process. The hours are divided among five catagories.

latoyadenise - 2006-07-16 11:00 PM

In my search for finding which yoga is for me, I would like more information on becoming a teacher of yoga. At this point I'm fascinated with hatha yoga and would like more information on becoming a teacher of this discipline. I've heard some refer to this as the "pretzel" yoga. Smile.

I live in Florida, can someone recommend a school here? What are the usual prerequisites? I would like to attend somewhere for at least a week or more. Can one truly become a teacher in such a short amount of time?

Lots of questions...looking for answers,
Latoya

Edited by purnayoga 2006-08-13 12:58 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)