YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

lessons for others 2 use?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

sirensong2
Posted 2006-07-22 10:52 AM (#59299)
Subject: lessons for others 2 use?

I was approached to create a series of lessons for kids yoga program, which i wouldn't be able to teach- owner is currently the teacher- and would have some " studio exclusivity" restrictions. Then I was asked to propose my own fee.

I've never considered anything like this, what do you guys think about it? and what about a fee- I ve never had to negotiate money without some kind of framework. Has anyone ever done that? How do you come up with a number that's fair?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-07-22 11:12 AM (#59308 - in reply to #59299)
Subject: RE: lessons for others 2 use?

I haven't "sold" yoga lessons but other written works and won't due it exclusively, i.e., surroundering propriatary rights to my intellectual property. Like books and music, it's your work and are entitled to the credit or blame.
As for the money part, you need to estimate your time and the value to the consumer. Seems like the owner/teacher has been through this or similar before and has the business savvy you're lacking. If in your estimation, the series is worth say $1,000 USD, perhaps a visit with the contract to a local business attorney might be a good idea.
I know, seems like too much trouble I bet for what you're thinking of doing. Just offering advice as I've seen first hand the attitude of business people taking advantage of yoga teachers--I hear it in their voices and see it in their eyes, "Yoga ain't real work."
mishoga
Posted 2006-07-22 2:53 PM (#59331 - in reply to #59299)

Expert Yogi

Why would you want to agree to that arrangement? It's your work. What if the program took off? Where woud you be recognized?

I would discuss that arrangement and if she is persistent with her proposal then thank her for the opportunity but graciously decline.

Mish

Of course you should do what you feel is right but why couldn't you design your won program and find a facility to rent and self promote?

Edited by mishoga 2006-07-22 2:54 PM
sirensong2
Posted 2006-07-23 10:35 AM (#59395 - in reply to #59331)

Why would you want to agree to that arrangement? It's your work. What if the program took off? Where woud you be recognized?

------I don't know, this is why i posted, for good questions to ask! I'm really a fish out of water here, so i appreciate your feedback. My BF encouraged me to ask for a large amount of $ for the lessons or somekind of percentage every time she opened a new studio- he also suggested everytime she trained someone else, I should be credited on the materials and charge for them. hows that?

I would discuss that arrangement and if she is persistent with her proposal then thank her for the opportunity but graciously decline.

Mish
Of course you should do what you feel is right but why couldn't you design your won program and find a facility to rent and self promote?

-----That's easy! Life is really busy right now, I have my dayjob & i'm taking classes in the fall. I'm not sure i'd want the extra hours of weekly work that having my own kids program requires. In fact, i'm not sure if i'd ever want to- though i really enjoy offering kids yoga to my students as part of their larger preschool experience.

Edited by sirensong2 2006-07-23 10:41 AM
sirensong2
Posted 2006-07-23 10:39 AM (#59396 - in reply to #59308)

thanks Bruce, i was wondering if it made sense to go to an attorney for something like this- if only for some advice! If the conditions and payment they offer look OK, I may do that. Thanks for your & mishy's encouragement to keep from " surroundering propriatary rights to my intellectual property". Good stuff!
Cyndi
Posted 2006-07-26 9:52 AM (#59765 - in reply to #59396)

Expert Yogi

Not to put a damper on anyone's great idea.....BUT, doesn't this fall into the category of "branding" yoga...kinda like Bikram?? There is a big deal going on within the Indian govt. right now about this.

Posted 2006-07-26 2:20 PM (#59824 - in reply to #59765)

No Cyndi Lou--it's the work of one individual being hired to do a job and her labor and creativity to complete the job for a single user--that user may just decide to "brand" it and deprive our comrade of the fruits of said labor. God Bless capitalism.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-07-26 5:11 PM (#59846 - in reply to #59824)

Expert Yogi

okay BB, whatever you say....it just looked like familiar territory that I've witnessed in the world of yoga. My husband was asking me to explain about Pilates the other day...talk about confusion...on his part. Finally I said, it's a guys' last name...and he said..."oh, like Bikram" I'm like, yea, like Bikram,
sirensong2
Posted 2006-07-31 11:45 PM (#60608 - in reply to #59846)

p.s.

I used your ideas and wrote to owners asking for more detail about rights/compensation- I also included an offer to send sample lesson if the other things sounded good. no response at all on the $ or legal question, just wanted sample lesson. Riiight.
So, that's that. They won't hear from me again. Oh, well. it was exciting for a second or two.

Hi cyndi. I hear you, it's a weird gray area. They mutidisciplinary stuff I've been trained in and have built an original repertoire of, includes stories, non-asana movement,songs & silly props. There's a little asana mixed in- it's pretty far from adult or older kid yoga. There's alot of non-asana/ non-traditional things you can be free and creative with. I would never try to claim ownership to the asana themselves.

Posted 2006-08-01 6:04 AM (#60627 - in reply to #60608)

Sorry but not surprised to hear that Tasha--when it came to paying, the owners were comms out huh? Yeah, let's see what they do for free.
sirensong2
Posted 2006-08-01 5:15 PM (#60707 - in reply to #60627)

Thanks, B. I was sorry to experience it. At least i didn't get burned.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)